Mayan Riviera /Playa Del Carmen Restaurants

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mayan Riviera /Playa Del Carmen Restaurants

I am looking for some restaurant reccomendations for the Mayan Riviera and Playa Del Carmen. We will be staying at Maroma and we plan to eat there a few times, but I am wondering if there are any other "not to be missed" restaurants in the area. We really enjoy all types of cuisine, so any ideas would be appreciated.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:59 AM

the best meal I've had on the Mayan Riviera was in downtown Cancun, at the restaurant Las Habichuelas.
For me, Yaxche in Playa del Carmen, which is supposed to be great, didn't even come close to that experience.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:09 PM

I have great thiings about El Zocalo in PDC have not tried it yet. We are going to this year. We loved Fly Bar and Casa Del Agua
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:10 PM

Also for casual but great is Babe's Noodles and Bar. Excellent Thai and Swedish dishes and the mojitos are the best in town.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:10 PM

YAY!!

I love Babe's!!!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM

You can get some decent food in PDC, but it's not a destination restaurant kind of place. I don't know of any restaurant that is "not to be missed" there. If there are some, I guess it's out of my payment bracket. the restaurants and food are not spectacular. The thing that is really odd is it's hard to get good Mexican food there, but you'll find all the Italian, Continental, etc. restaurants, and the Mexican ones have limited selections.

The best place I ate at was an Argentinean restaurant on 5th ave.probably around the corner of 14th St or so. The reason I went in there (although it has a pleasant outdoor table area, so it's a nice place to eat and people watch) is because they had Argentine wine there. That was another thing, most of the restaurants had really bad wine. Mexico isn't known for its wine, and there is a reason why. ugh!

Unfortunately, a lot of the restaurants only had Mexican wine or nothing. The beer is good, of course, but I prefer wine. There is a good wine bar across from Fly's (belongs to Mosquito Blue) on 5th ave. that has a wider selection, but it's small. They do have a good restaurant there, also. I still wouldn't call any of them "not to be missed". Even the Italian restaurants wouldn't have decent Italian wine.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Halfway between Maroma and Playa del Carmen is another small resort like Maroma: Ikal del Mar. They have a beautiful outdoor gourmet restaurant, but it's expensive. Playa del Carmen has lots of restaurants, but keep in mind it is a beach town. We liked Frida. It's really pretty. Only had drinks and hors d'ouvres there. Check out www.mapchick.com. It has lots of useful information.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 04:54 AM

I believe you can eat at Ikal only if you are a guest staying with them.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:00 AM

I believe Frida is gone now...too bad, it was something to look at.
I really agree with Christina about PDC not being the place for a destination restaurant. Before I went, we heard so many raves, but never had a great meal...decent, but not great.
Next time we'll try Babe's!
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. Has anyone tried Al Cielo?
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Frida has been gone for over a year. Many places that have excellent food are not on 5th Ave. HC de Monterrey, El Fogon, and El Serape are a few good ones. The north part of PDC has wonderful food and a quieter setting. Playa Maya for coconut shrimp is closer to downtown, the chocolate place on the corner of Constitutuion and 5th for brownies, Caio Gelato for gelato of course, John Grey for a pricier fare but excellent. Il Baretto, Glass Bar, Pummolara by Shangri La, and The Monkey House (El Cueva del Changa I think is the spelling) also by Shangri La. I find the food choices are excellent if you know to try new things and not be afraid to go away from the beaten path. Actually, I look forward to eating as much as anything else when I'm there.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 07:08 PM

I second the Monkey Cave!! Excellent breakfasts and wonderfully romantic dinners. Very small. The Argentinian Steakhouse was good from my memory. When we were there we LOVED two shrimp taco stands out on the highway, just south of Constitution (?)Ave - La Floresta and El Oasis. Both were lunch only, fiery habenero salsa but I do not know if they survived Wilma. I hope so, we long for the Oasis often.

Other places recommended by a friend who lives down there (all pre-Wilma)Fly, Panchos, Media Luna, La Siesta (lunch-fish & pizza), Yxache, Meditaranos, Di Gabbe (the last two Italian. Have a wonderful time!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:18 AM

We liked Ajua. Really good variety of fooe, an extensive wine list (some Californina wines) and the waiters were really funny and entertaining. One did a magic trick at our table.
www.ajuamaya.com
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 07:07 PM

"Bamba La Jarocha" on Constituyentes near the Pemex station.

Locals. Seafood. Excellent.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:28 AM

In Playa: La Parilla is always good and popular - get something like the kebobs that they serve flaming at the table. I personally loved Yaxche - very unique and different because it is authentic Mayan food. Karen's has good fajitas and fabulous pizza. Don Emilione has a good mango shrimp. John Gray is ok IMHO - if you want a "fancier" meal for a night. If you want a quick cheap bite, a slice of pizza, find one of the Pizza Pazza shops.