Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > Mayan Riviera in August: reservations needed?
Notices

Mayan Riviera in August: reservations needed?

Jun 5th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

Mayan Riviera in August: reservations needed?

This board has helped me in the past and I know it will help me plan this next trip. I have heard August is "low" season on the Yucatan but it's also the height of American tourist season. Having the flexibility to find the perfect place or change places would be wonderful (did that in Europe), but an hyper-prepared freak like me might not be abe to take the stress of not knowing that we'll have a decent place guaranteed ahead of time (we planned ahead in CR). Is it really realistic to just book the flight and figure it out over there, or are reservations a good idea?

Right now I'm leaning toward Isla Mujeres, with Cozumel or PdC as possible add-ons. We'll have 10-14 days.
Jun 5th, 2006, 04:26 AM

I would plan ahead. Many of the hotels in Cancun are not yet repaired which has lead to more occupancy in the areas you mentioned.
Jun 5th, 2006, 08:50 AM

I think if you do not need a big fancy Cancun beach hotel, you can do fine ... there are plenty of small reasonably priced boutique hotels that usually will have a room for you in Playa...but if you have found a hotel that you have your heart set on, I'd book it !
(Schmerl is right, occupancy in Cancun will probably be tight this summer.)
Jun 5th, 2006, 05:01 PM

I would book ahead...when we travel in August, we see A LOT of Europeans on "holiday"...many hotels are at full-occupancy.

Search this Thread