Mayan Riviera

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 09:51 PM
Kristine

Mayan Riviera

Help!!!! I am organizing a group trip for 5 couples ages 30-35 whose idea of a great vacation is a resort that would have a wonderful beach, entertainment, good food and free-flowing drinks. We like just being able to lay around and relax but also like a resort with some activities, i.e. volleyball, etc. We definitely want to go the all-inclusive route as a few of us have been on cruises before and ended up with an $800 bar tab per couple. I organized a previous trip for us in 3/00 and we stayed at the Allegro in Nuevo Vallarta and we really had a great time! Any suggestions for resorts in the Mayan Riviera?

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Jenn

I would say try the adults only Aventura Palace! It is great! The prices are very reasonable especially if you book with us we are members!

I don't know when you are planning on going but email me with travel dates and airport of departure and I will give you a quote usuing our member rates!

You get with an 8 day 7 night trip all meals,snacks,drinks,taxes,tips, 2 free tours each, 1 manicure, pedicure, massage each, plus the use of all 7 Palace Resorts.

www.get-me.to/cancun

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 12:34 PM
tommy

Well I can tell you this the Aventura does not have a great beach. There are rocks and a break wall not far from shore. If you want a very nice resort that always gets raves try the Riu Palace - The Real Palace resort. I have stayed at many resorts in the Cancun and Riviera Maya and this resort tops them all. You will definitly have a wonderful time here. Great staff, rooms, beach and rooms. If you need anymore info on it just email me.

Tommy

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Debbie

Hi - agree with the last post - do either the RIU Yucatan or Palace. Check their website at www.riuhotels.com to see which of these resorts would be more suited. The Yucatan is the first one built there and definitely more laid back but small pool with swim up bar but huge beach. the Palace is a little more reserved shall we say but gorgeous pool (swim up bar is in the wrong spot if you ask me) and shares the beach with the Yucatan. There are two beach volleyball nets.
If you'd like my trip report from this last feb, please email me direct.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Lauren Matteo

We just returned from The Jungle Beach Resort in Puerto Adventuras in Riviera Maya. It was EXTREMELY disappointing, I strongly advise you not to go there. We spent alot of our time at Cameleon Marival and it was good. It had food all day long, free flowing drinks, beach activities and a dance at night. Hope this helps you.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Kristine

Ok---looks like the Mayan Riveria is definitely a go but what are the beaches like in general? We are definitely beach people and would prefer a good beach over a nice pool. Shade is a must as well as some in the group can't handle being out in the direct sun. Is there enough wave action to go body surfing?

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Teresa

See my review on our trip to Akumal (June 8-15) in the next 24 hours...titled Akumal "Secured" Villas.
Teresa

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 08:38 AM
reuben

There is not much wave action down around Playa del Carmen or further South. The Aventura is Adults only so
you do not have to worry about rugrats.
It has a lagoon to swim in with a beach.
These others resorts that the others
have recommended are rugrat havens.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 07:03 PM
Debbie

The beaches are what you are looking for - very large with lots of space and if you stay at one of the ai's south of Playa del Carmen, you can walk the beach all the way into PDC. The resorts along the beach all put out plenty of loungers and on the RIU Yucatan beach there is many palms that provide the shade that some of your group will be looking for. One tip though: definitely bring thermos mugs or glasses with a screw top. They hold more beverage, keep it colder for longer and the screw top keeps out the sand. Much better than numerous trips to the bar or the drinks dispenser with just those little plastic glasses they serve the beverages in!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Teresa

Hi
Just don't stay at the villa called Las Hamacas. Someone with a key stole money from us and clothing! I contacted the owner and she more or less told me I was lying! Feel free to email me with further questions on Akumal!
Teresa

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Debbie

Teresa - get with the program here - Kristine asked specifically about all inclusives. Asked and answered now and the ai's discussed here are the resorts of large well run chains such as RIU, Allegro, Iberostar, etc. The rooms at these places ALL have IN-ROOM safes where one can lock away valuables.
We're sorry about your loss at La Hamacas or whatever but this place doesn't sound like an all-inclusive anyhow, so no need to keep repeating to everyone about your theft at this particular place.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 05:26 PM
yair alon

I looked on the Internet at the Iberostar Paraiso resorts, Look great on the Internet. Does some one have info. Intrested on the beach condition, calm water?, sailing on Catamaran etc ?

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 07:05 PM
Miken'HeidiinWILMNC

We traveled to Aventura Palace in Sept. last yr. and had a blast. O.K. the
'lagoon" is just so-so, but it is not clogged w/seagrass either. Rooms were excellent with in room spa, nice marble shower, and HUGE bed... HMMMM. Pool area was awesome, activities were hilarious.... amazing what some people will do after one too many Margs'. Food was o.k., go for the reservations only restaurant and reserve early... ervice was excellent, yes we tipped and yes we were treated very well.The food was awesome liked the cold seafood salad app. Ask for "doble" as far as mixed drinks go.. no top shelf here to speak of, but the "well" brands were ok, esp the... the... TEQUILA. Go eaaaaasy on day one... Will be glad to give more info.if interested..... leave message here.. We are going to Omni Puerto Aventuras in late Sept., heard great things........

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Teresa

Debbie,
I have every right to post messages, just like you are. You're obviously pushing your views on people too. You must be affiliated with these villas! Akumal IS on the Mayan Riviera!!! Any info people like me have and want to share with others might be useful for them & Kristine. Like the fact that the cops down there will take your license plates and when you return your rental car that's when the rental people will tell you the cops will be billing (on your credit card that you had with the rental place)you for something you supposedly did illegal, like parking illegal (WE DID NOT)...IT'S A SCAM! People need to know these little facts...Do you have a problem with that, Debbie???
If you do, you must be working down in Mexico!!!
Teresa

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Teresa

K,
I think Debbie works for www.riuhotels.com That's what these people do. They sound as if they have vacationed down there, so they can steer you to their hotels.
I'm just telling you things to watch out for...Watch out for people who tell you to look at certain & specific sites and seem pushy about it!
Teresa

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 07:16 PM
Mary

Teresa I think your right on. I have had my suspicions on some of these postings for a while now.

A friend of mine vacationed at one of the Riu Resorts last spring and became ill for over a day from something she ate. She described the rooms as nice as well as the beach but did not find it very romantic. There were nearly two thousand toursits and dinner had two sittings of 1000 people each. They spent a day in Playa de Carmen and found a quaint little hotel called Lunata. It has a website and if they return she said it would be her first choice. She shopped around a number of them.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Iberostar fan

My husband and I went to Iberostar Queztal for a wonderful vacation. The resort was absolutely gorgeous, staff accomodating and fufills all your requirements. Please check this one out during your research. No I don't work for them, I'm just a fellow traveler.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Teresa

~^~Thank you Mary!~^~
These sites are saturated with people that work for these all inclusive resorts and people who own these condos and villas too. They are desperate to get them rented out, for the very reason I've been talking about! I've had other people, like Mary write to me on my personal e-mail too, that I guess are afraid to speak out...they fear the wrath of people like Debbie!
Teresa

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 08:39 AM
Ron

Kristine:

My wife and I stayed at the Iberostar Queztal last April. Several very good AI's line the beach just south of Playa Del Carmen. We met several folks who stayed at the Riu and enjoyed it a lot. Our experience at the Iberostar was great. The staff is very well trained. Activities are great. You can sign up in advance for a catamaran (one hour blocks). Excursions through the hotel are "value" priced for guests. The flora and fauna in the "natural" section of the property are worth bringing a camera for. A "must try" is their version of a coctail called "Miami Vice" -- 1/2 strawberry dacquri and 1/2 pina collada. The rooms are very nice, the food is very good (not gormet). If you explore discussion board for Playa Del Carmen, you will find several people who have provided links to their vacation pictures -- usually worth the long down-load waits. The Allegro is nice but the Riu or Iberostar are both a notch up.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Debbie

I do not work for the RIU or any other hotel chains. I spend about 48 weeks a year working as an insurance underwriter in Toronto, so as I can go for two weeks to the Caribbean and then share information about the great places I've been. You can tell that I'm not making this up because if I was, I would pick a job that everyone knows now wouldn't I?
And no I don't work for Mexican tourism as you will see that for the past two years, I've often praised the other all inclusive resorts around the RIU hotels even though I haven't stayed at them - I hear all the good things said about these other resorts from coworkers and friends and, the consensus on this posting alone validates the fact that the all inclusives along the of the Mayan Riveria are allright.
It's pretty pathetic that now other posters who just want to say some good stuff about where they've been now have to end every post with "no I don't work there I'm just a fellow traveller".

Rats - when I was on the United Stated board back in January asking folks for the best Sunday morning brunch spot, I should have immediately spotted that the guy who recommended the Plaza worked for them and was just pushing his opinion on me to get us to go there! Geez, and then I should have cut off my nose to spite my face by not going for brunch there and showing those silly buggars that they can't fool me with their praises about the Plaza!
Well, good thing for us that we did go and have one of the best brunch buffets we've ever had!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information