Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Mayan Riveria vs Puerto Vallarta HELP! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/mayan-riveria-vs-puerto-vallarta-help-412128/)

meljoy Mar 17th, 2004 10:30 AM

Mayan Riveria vs Puerto Vallarta HELP!

I just returned from Puerto Vallarta and loved everything about it. The hotel was wonderful (stayed at the Marriott) and the restaurants were amazing. I was told that the Mayan Riveria may be a good choice for a vacation. Can someone please provide me with some information and hotel recommendations. I would like to stay somewhere on the close side to the restaurants and shopping (but wouldn't mind a 10-15 min cab ride) and do NOT want an all-inclusive type of hotel. I have read wonderful things about a hotel called Maroma. Does anyone know how far it is from the area with shopping/restaurants? Is Playa del Carmen where the shopping/restaurants are or is there more than one place? Do the restaurants compare to the ones in Puerto Vallarta (our favorites were: Cafe de Artistes, Bianco, Le Bistro, Trio, xtomato and Porto Bello)? Thanks so much!

Little_Man Mar 17th, 2004 02:52 PM

I think the restaurants are probably better in PV, and the beach is better on the Carribbean side. They are truly both wonderful areas.

jette Mar 18th, 2004 04:01 AM

I've been to both and can easily say I love both! I think the statement that PV has better restaurants is dead wrong. Both PV and PDC have fantastic restaurants and I'd go so far as to say PDC is slightly more varied. Some of the best Thai food I've had anywhere was at Babes in PDC.

My take on the diferences between PDC and PV: PV has the beautiful sunsets and the scenery is much prettier. The combination of the ocean and the grean mountains is georgeous. PDC has much nicer beaches and the water is a beautiful color but the surrounding scenery is flat and featureless. In my experience, PDC has many more small, interesting accomodations but unless you want AI, not much in the large resort type accomodations. This is not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion but different strokes for different folks.

Both destinations have fantastic restaurants and fun bars and lots of activities in or around the area.

I just returned from PDC last week and we stayed at La Tortuga which I highly recommend. Small hotel 2 blocks off the beach, impeccably clean, georgeous grounds, neat pool and wonderful staff. There are dozens of similar small hotels. I was also really interested in La Lunata but they only had a 5th street view and I was afraid that would get too noisy. I'd grab that if they had a garden view!

Check the playadelcarmeninfo.com site for lots of good info.

dpreefer Mar 18th, 2004 08:42 AM

You just hit on my two favorite towns in Mexico (although I must admit there are several I have not seen that interest me also). PV is terrific, but my turn-off was the cold and rough sea water. My idea of the beach is swimming in warm ocean. PDC has the most beautiful beaches you have ever seen. The town is international-cool. As many Italians, French and Russians as Americans. The restaurants are all types; from expensive continental to good Italian pasta to typical mexican. Mostly good to fantastic. There are all kinds of hotels. The all inclusives are terrific, but if you want non-inclusive, you can either look further afield or smaller. The Maroma, from what I understand, is terrific, but expensive (very!) and a good 10 minute cab ride away. If you are looking for a nice small hotel, just nice rooms, small pool, two blocks from the beach, quiet and a 10 minute stroll into town, try the Riviera del Sol on 30th Street in PDC. I just came back from there, and thought at $90 a night, it was a great deal.

suze Mar 18th, 2004 12:23 PM

I'm no help with this question because I love Puerto Vallarta so much I just keep going back again and again! 15 trips to date ;-)

butsey Mar 19th, 2004 05:05 AM

I think both resorts have their own qualities I too have been to P. Vallarta more than any other place but I do love the beaches in Riviera Maya region. It's all a matter of what you want and what you are looking for. Both are very different but both are wonderful.