Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Massages in Puerto Vallarta - healthful touches while on vacation!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2010, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you enjoy getting a massage (or two, or?) during your vacation stays in Puerto Vallarta? I sure do!! I will share some of my experiences, and hope others will chime in and share some of theirs!!

If you do get massages during your Vallarta vacations, do you prefer (as I do) to venture 'out & about' and try some of the small, independent spas located throughout the city? Or do you prefer to stay and use the facilities at your hotel or resort? Or maybe it's some combination of the two?

If you venture out, can you share a little about 'where', for 'what', and the approximate 'cost', and how much you did or did not enjoy the experiences.

My current favourite spas for massages are the following (alphabetically-arranged) -- all are located in the city's South Side. I have been to each a good number of times (a couple of them, over several years), and I have yet to be disappointed with the sessions received.

- Ha Spa (Aquiles Serdan 242, a block+ 'up' from Los Muertos beach, near the entrance to the condo at the corner with Ignacio Vallarta). Ruth manages this place, and she's a delight!! I first found the spa, and met Ruth during a morning walk to get groceries - I had stopped to read the sign out front, she came out, and we chatted for several minutes. She told me she had worked for several years at the spa in the former Molina de Agua hotel (which used to be across the street). I returned two days later, for the first of three massages I had there during that stay - two by one of her staff, and the last by her, on a quiet Sunday when her staff had stayed home.
Each massage was professionally-administered, both 'before', when medical "problems" and "personal preferences", and the like were sought, and 'during', with the well-manoeuvred hands-on approaches of the therapists. Each session consisted of what I would call a combination of Swedish and Therapeutic techniques - with some stretching, acupressure, and quite firm pressures. The massages were of 75 minutes duration, and priced at 300p - that was an exceptional "promotional price" at the time.
They sure 'worked' well for me - I felt great after each session. I can heartily-recommend this facility for a massage -- and they offer a host of other procedures as well, though these were untried. I found the facility and amenities sparkling clean, and Ruth and her staff great. Ruth - I miss the massages, and all our friendly and interesting conversations!!

- Metamorfosis (Francisca Rodriguez 159, just a few feet 'up' from the corner with Olas Altas). This is Angie's place, and what a great little spa it is!! She, and the other (certified massage) therapists (Jose, Rodrigo, Hilda, and Fabia), provide the typical services offered at a day spa (massages, reflexology, facials, beauty salon, haircuts, colour, spa manicure, spa pedicure) -- and do everything so well!! 

I have enjoyed several Swedish-style massages (from Angie and Hilda). The pressures of the various techniques applied were what I prefer, 'firm', but not 'deep' -- I have left each session feeling very relaxed, and found the results quite therapeutic. The posted rate for these 60-minute massages (for the past couple of years) has been US $40, and that price is often 'bundled' (at no extra cost) with a second procedure (a choice of pedicure or manicure).

My travel partner thoroughly-enjoyed her two massages (from Rodrigo), and a haircut (from stylist, Fabia) during our spring '10 stay. She loved the massages, and "raved" on to me about the great care and attention Rodrigo had taken with her, when applying the various techniques and procedures of a "Swedish-style" full-body massage. And she loved her new haircut. It was a bit more 'styled' than she's accustomed to getting here at home, but "the look" was great, she loved it, as did I, and many others who saw her.
The posted price for the 60 minute 'Swedish-style' massages was US $40, and for the haircut, US $15.

We have known Angie, her great little spa, and have used her services for several years.
Angie's a real sweetheart, and she, and her staff really "know their stuff"!! There's a 'sign-up' sheet on the door -- just sign under the therapist you wish to see, for the date and time you wish to see her/him -- and you'll be good to go!! Or you can phone (or e-mail) and make an appointment.

Small, clean and tidy, nice ambiance, great staff and services -- you will not be disappointed!

- Venus Sunshine (Aquiles Serdan 220, a block+ 'up' from Los Muertos beach, just a few foot steps from Pino Suarez). I have known this spa and used the massage services there since 2005 Prices here have increased a little more than other places I know, over recent years, leaving me to "branch out" a little, but I still sneak in a "treat or two" each trip.
My last sessions there, were two 75-minute therapeutic massages (450p per each), and one 60-minute session (380p). The therapist for each was 'Irene', who I have known and liked for the past few years. I truly-appreciate what Irene does, and she seems to know just what to do with my body. Each massage always consists of a good deal of stretching, acupressure, and various therapeutic and Swedish techniques, and all applied with a rather firm pressure. I can barely walk - so relaxed - when I leave these sessions, but there has never been any painful consequences.
Miss your touch Irene - could use it now!!

- Xel Ha Massages (Ignacio Vallarta 371, just to the south of the corner with Basilio Badillo, kitty-corner to Freddy Tucan's Restaurant, and at Lazaro Cardenas 155, just 'up' from Olas Altas, across from Parque Cardenas). I have had/enjoyed several massages at each of their south side locations. Both are small facilities -- the one on I. Vallarta, the smallest, with only two tables, and the one on L. Cardenas, a bit bigger, with 3-4 tables, the setup depending on how arranged. 

Making appointments can be done in-person, or via sign-up sheets at the doors (if they are busy inside), or via the phone. Just showing up and requesting a session is accepted, should one of the staff and a table be available, and the session is not going to interfere with a scheduled appointment (I have done this at both locations).

I consider these massages to have been some of 'the' best Swedish, therapeutic, and relaxation-style massages I have had during my recent Vallarta stays -- I enjoyed each of them immensely, and savoured the relaxing and therapeutic benefits of each session.

In fall '09, I did two of the massages solo (with 'Alma', as the therapist), and the last, as a couple's massage with my travel mate (with therapist's 'Alma' for me, and 'Luisa', for she), and she enjoyed her massage with the same enthusiasm I did mine. During our spring '10 stay, I did all three solo (two with 'Alma', and the third with 'Luisa').

The sessions in '09 were 'relaxation' massages, and the applied procedures involved considerably lighter touches than one usually receives via a 'basic' massage (or what some might refer to as a 'Swedish' massage), and very much-lighter touches than one receives via a "deeper" massage, such as a therapeutic massage, or deep-tissue massage. Each session was of 60 minutes duration, and the price paid was 300 pesos per each. We found the therapists skilled in what they do, and so thoughtful, courteous, caring, and charming in their approaches. Before each session, we were asked to fill out questionnaires, so that they knew a little of our medical histories and could relate to specific problems, and the like, in their techniques. We were happy to do this, and impressed with the approach. 

The sessions I had and enjoyed in '10 were all more "therapeutic/Swedish" in style and techniques applied. Luisa's touch was the "deeper" of the two - I first thought it would be a little too 'deep tissue' for me, but it turned out to be "not of the hurting" kind!! and I found the session to be very therapeutic, and the massage itself, one of 'the' best massages I have ever had during my many stays in Vallarta. The posted price at the time was a promotional 'special' - 60 minutes, 350 pesos.

We have much-enjoyed the massages received at this very clean and well-run little spa. Nice people, who know what they do, and do it well. I miss their "healing" hands!!

Hope you will share some of your massage experiences during your Vallarta stays. Happy Vallarta travels everyone!!
Cheers …. John
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Ok, seems there's no feedback, or additional suggestions for now ... maybe after some stays this fall/winter? Hope so!!
It's a wonderful destination for some very good, and so inexpensively-priced massages (and certainly so when compared to my home town!!), and they really can contribute to making one's stay in Vallarta a "healthful" one!!
Happy travels!!
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 12:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I told you before JP ;-) there's only a tiny handful of people here on Fodor's who go to PV.

The only time I've had a massage was at Casa Andrea's, she had a very nice local woman who came and did it in your room.

Keep posting though, maybe you can drum up more interest for people to give Vallarta a try. Your posts are quite convincing!!
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I know suze, but one never knows how many potential travellers are reading our posts!!

I used to browse here quite often, and never became a member to post. Did the same on several other travel forums as well, before becoming a member on some. And I'm actually still doing it on a couple of others, just haven't had the 'spark' as yet to join or contribute.

I'm not concerned with the actual amount of activity. Like I said, you never know who is lurking, and may appreciate some of the information being provided. But of course, do appreciate the feedback when it's provided though, and I always make a point of acknowledging such. Heh, it's a little of what keeps us all going, is it not?

Cheers!!
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 03:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't IMAGINE reading a travel forum without posting -lol!!!