Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Maroma, El Tamarindo, Majahuitas, or Ikal del Mar?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling in August and cannot decide between these hotels. We want seclusion, nice private beaches, good food, and rest. I am worried because I've read the beach at Ikal del Mar is not good. Maroma seems great, but I do prefer casitas. Maybe this could be overlooked??? Which one of these has the most private beach (the kind you might get to yourself for the day)?
Any other info will help!

Thanks!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:37 AM

I have been trying to decide the same thing. We have gone to Tamarindo twice & love it but perhaps we'll try Maroma. It is hard to beat Tamarindo, I think it has to be most private of your choices & there were only a few couples on the beach every day, it sits on it's own secluded cove. Every villa has a large plunge pool. I am leary of the caribbean side in October (when we go)though for hurricanes. Ikal del Mar does have pools but I've heard not so good things about the beach. And I'd rather not fly into PV if I can help it to go to Majahuitas. SO confusing! Let me know what you decide.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

I am not leaning toward The Tamarindo or Ikal del Mar. So many people rave about them. Maroma is now scaring me because of the new noisy resort next door. It's not so private anymore. Majahuitas may be a bit too rustic. I am also concerned about Ikal during August. We we in Belize at that time two years in a row and went through a hurricane both times. It was an adventure, but not something I want to do again. Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 04:20 PM

I've been to both Maroma and Ikal del Mar. The last time we were at Maroma was in June last year. In June I did not see any construction of a "new noisy resort" next door. There is a big hotel next door called Vente Club, but its been there for years. Its far enough away that it has never disturbed us, and we really like secluded beaches. I haven't been to El Tamarindo, but I really prefer the Carribean water versus Pacific waters.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!