Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Marin County man shot in Puerto Viejo (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/marin-county-man-shot-in-puerto-viejo-859337/)

MonicaRichards Sep 14th, 2010 04:44 PM

Marin County man shot in Puerto Viejo

Here's the link: http://www.marinij.com/ci_16065041?source=most_viewed

A man from Novato (Marin County, California) was shot in the back of the head on the beach in Costa Rica in an apparent robbery even though nothing of value was taken. 62 years old, in his picture he sure looks nice and normal. Anyone hear about this?

baldone Sep 14th, 2010 09:09 PM

At the risk of being utterly insensitive, I feel the need to question your question. This was a tragedy. But why are you asking? I only ask because of a sincere desire to put any and all violence in perspective. I'm in Omaha, Nebraska. 2 days ago a pizza delivery man was brutally stabbed and died as a result of his injuries, for less than $25. Yet, such headlines are not given a second thought, not locally and of course not nationally. Was this murder part of a trend in CR? The Omaha murder certainly was, yet my wife and I feel as safe here as ever, but our friends question our sanity every time we go to Mexico or Central America. Sincere condolences if you are family or friend of the victim.

volcanogirl Sep 15th, 2010 04:02 AM

Wow, sad story, Monica. I do think you have to be careful traveling alone. Scary that they haven't caught anyone yet.

MonicaRichards Sep 15th, 2010 05:08 AM

No, not a family or a friend but I am used to thinking of Costa Rica as being very safe and it sounds like this guy wasn't doing anything at all to put himself in danger. Of course bad things happen anywhere (think of the tourist shot in Union Square not to long ago) but I hate when it happens in a place I cherish.

hsmithcr Sep 15th, 2010 06:00 AM

While statistics are no comfort to a grieving family and friends, statistically speaking, you are very safe in Costa Rica. Of the two million people who visit Costa Rica every year, tourist murders like this one are a miniscule number - less than 10.

Everyone would like to know just what/why it happened. The police have only one clue, apparently, and that is a bicycle that was left nearby. Perhaps the family will offer a reward for information about the bicycle and this might help the police. Many people are thinking this was just a random and senseless crime.

I traveled to Costa Rica alone before I moved here - including the Puerto Viejo area - and never felt unsafe. Since then, I have traveled all around Costa Rica by myself by bus and by car and never had a problem.

Costa Rica is as safe as anywhere - you just have to use some common sense.

hipvirgochick Sep 15th, 2010 12:36 PM

That's such a tragedy. I feel terrible for the man's family for such an abrupt end to a loved one's life. I hope they are able to find who did it so that he/she receives their due punishment.

shillmac Sep 15th, 2010 05:09 PM

This is discouraging for sure, and I, too, feel badly for this man's family and friends. It may be a senseless crime or there could be more to the story that we don't (and may never) know. Impossible to speculate. Certainly hate to hear it, though. Feeling safe on the beaches (and so happy that they are not crowded) is such a nice thing about Costa Rica.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Sep 15th, 2010 05:31 PM

How terrible! I'm sorry to hear about this.

Absolutely, the incident should be reported in the news and on a discussion board like this. I don't think murder of foreigners is a trend in Costa Rica (although "less than 10 a year" is still a disturbing figure), but theft and robbery are a trend and are increasing. No one should deny that. We don't know how an apparent robbery escalated to murder, and we may never know, but if it serves as a reminder to not try to be a hero, then discussing this is worthwhile. (That's pure speculation on my part that that's what happened.)

The tourism industry in Puerto Viejo has been notorious through the years at trying to sweep incidents like these under the rug to the point of saying some pretty awful things about victims of crimes that took place there. I hope that doesn't happen in this case.

I don't buy the "This could happen anywhere, even at home" argument. Maybe it could happen in your hometown but generally it doesn't. At home, we know the lay of the land. We know what areas are safe and not safe. We know how to get help. We know the language. We don't have that home-field advantage when we're in another country. Not that anybody should shy away from coming to Costa Rica because of this incident, but travel does put us at a slight disadvantage and does require extra diligence.

1bhcrashman Sep 16th, 2010 08:38 AM

Baldone, I get your point that this kind of senseless violence can and does happen everywhere but would have to disagree with your statement that the news of the pizza delivery man didn't make local headlines. I think it was covered very extensively with sobering facts (4 teenagers involved and the murderer was 16!) We live in the Omaha area but also have a home in Atenas. We feel equally safe in both places.

baldone Sep 17th, 2010 08:11 PM

Crashman:
I didn't mean to imply that it didn't make headlines; my bad if that's how it came across. My point was that most Americans tend to accept violent crime as commonplace when it happens in their hometown, but yet are appalled when it happens in other countries. Friends and family are fearful for our safety when we've gone to CR or Mexico, but somehow forget that one of the most despicable mass murders in the history of the US took place at the Von Maur store where they probably shop with some regularity. Conversely, we have friends in Mexico that are shocked at the violence they hear about in the US; i.e., OK City, Waco, 9/11, Columbine, Von Maur. So, when we were picked up at the airport and were asked "you weren't robbed?" but yet no one mentioned all the crimes committed while we were gone (including the pizza murder) it is a somewhat curious thing.

baldone Sep 17th, 2010 08:15 PM

P.S. to Crashman:
We visited Atenas last Feb. It's a beautiful place, and I'm jealous.

puertoviejoexpat Oct 16th, 2010 08:37 PM

I lived a number of years in Puerto Viejo and I left because of the rising crime and the general insecurity. Armed muggings occure everyday and anyone would be well advised to not travel to Costa Rica at his time. If you think this is an alarmist point of view, please be aware that Canada, the United States, Australia and the United Kingdom have all issued formal travel advisories cautioning their citizens about travelling all across Costa Rica because of the high crime and the fact that criminals in Costa Rica have no fear of judicial retribution, because there is none to be had.

Sad state of affair but it's factual. If you go there, you do so at your own risk. Do not count on your embassy, the police or anyone else to help you, they won't.

tully Oct 17th, 2010 05:25 AM

<<Armed muggings occure everyday and anyone would be well advised to not travel to Costa Rica at his time.>>

Respectfully, this <i>is</i> an alarmist point of view. There <i>is</i> a caution up about petty theft, it contains basically the same info that any well seasoned traveler can tell you and pretty much applies to any country in the world. Millions of people visit CR every year without incident.

hsmithcr Oct 17th, 2010 08:10 AM

I was visiting Puerto Viejo last week (solo female older traveler) and had no problem and saw no problems. I didn't see any: muggings, killings, drug transactions, drunks, beatings, person smoking marijuana, etc etc. The only thing I saw was a man sleeping on the sidewalk near one of the shops. I walked all around town several times during my stay. However, all of this was during the day. I also didn't see a big police presence - no police patrolling or walking the streets, no armed guards at the grocery store, etc.

Agree with tully - an alarmist point of view. Is Costa Rica crime-free? Of course not. But the statements by puertoviejoexpat are not factual, but his/her opinion. A number of expats have left Costa Rica after being crime victims and have really nothing good to say about the whole country.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Oct 17th, 2010 06:18 PM

I don't think any country advises its citizens not to come to Costa Rica. There is crime and visitors need to be watchful, but I'd never sugegst that people stay away.

hipvirgochick Oct 17th, 2010 08:52 PM

Puertoviejoexpat - would you mind providing links to these travel warnings you speak of?

qwovadis Oct 18th, 2010 05:03 AM

www.puertoviejosatellite.com/news/category/crime

Good recent info always wise to be safe for me..

Folks who are not aware it is a drug trans-shipment point

should be and there is attendant increased risk for me...

Like many semi-dodgy areas in CA/SA

overall mostly safe if careful but random acts are possible.

Caveat Emptor(and monitor consular advisories)

www.insuremytrip.com always wise for me.

puertoviejoexpat Oct 21st, 2010 02:41 AM

Here are the links:
http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pa...g.asp?id=67000
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...093.html#crime
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...ice/Costa_Rica
https://www.osac.gov/Reports/report....ntentID=115716
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ica/costa-rica

And this post is copied directly from Puerto Viejo Satellite News:

i spent two nights in puerto viejo on my way to panama in august. solo female. it was a dirty , drug infested, messed up dump and anyone denying that is lying. i was shocked. go out in that town after 11 pm ,and you will be sickened. i have travelled all over the world on the backpacking side for over 20 years, and this is the first place i felt really really unsafe, worse than manila ! the streets are no go after dark because of all the drug dealers and addicts. not to mention the rasta bullies.
i was planning to spend a week there, and after realising they people in the hostel i was staying in were dealing crack cocaine, i had to ring my husband and tell him i was leaving the town, as i felt a very dangerous feeling there.i really thought something bad could happen to me. it was oppressive. i left, and then found this story on reddit not much long after. i felt really lucky i got out ok. i like to have fun and party like the most folks, but that place was poisoned i felt.
first hand account

hsmithcr, sorry, but going through Puerto Viejo for a vacation doesn't give you the knowledge you need to comment intelligently. Try living there for 3 years as a group of us did. You'll sing a different tune then.

As for Tully, well, thousands of tourists get attacked in Costa Rica and now the recent trend is more and more violent.
Go sit on a beach in Cocles or in Jaco and see how long you'll be immune.

puertoviejoexpat Oct 21st, 2010 02:50 AM

To Jeff_Costa_Rica:

"•We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Costa Rica because of the high risk of serious crime. "

Australian Governement, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

Australia for one has 5 levels of travel advice:
1.Be alert to your own security
2.Exercise caution
3.Exercise a high degree of caution - we recommend you pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media about possible new safety or security risks.
4.Reconsider your need to travel.
5.Do not to travel

I would say that a level 3 warning on Costa Rica is something to be taken seriously, wouldn't you?

puertoviejoexpat Oct 21st, 2010 02:54 AM

To all,

I am sorry if you find my tone aggressive, but I really deeply believe that travelers to Costa Rica need to know the real situation down there, not the one portrayed by travel agencies, tourism boards, airlines and hotel owners who have a lot to lose if you do not travel there.

Diminishing the problem or ignoring it is in my opinion, and it is alarmist, I agree, irresponsible. But when there's a fire, someone needs to ring the fire alarm. Just ignoring the smoke is not very conducive to good health.