Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

March Spring Break for family of 4-Valladolid, Chichen Itza, Tulum, Isla Mujeres

Search

March Spring Break for family of 4-Valladolid, Chichen Itza, Tulum, Isla Mujeres

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy New Year!

My husband and I along with our 14 year old daughter and 6 year old son will be traveling to Mexico for a one week spring break in late March.

Both children are good travelers (San Francisco, San Diego, NYC, London, Santa Fe-daughter's been w/us on trip to Paris, etc.) and good sports...

We wanted to try a trip to Mexico and unfortunately have only the one week-we want water but we also want some history and culture. (I recognize that the Coast is more and more built up but I'm sure there are still lovely experiences to be had just because something is popular doesn't always make it bad-there is a reason why people go to Alcatraz, the Tower of London and Notre Dame...) anyhow I'm hoping that travelers who are fond of the area could look at my itinerary and maybe make some suggestions....particulary in the area of food and any must sees...

Day 1-Fly to Mexico-land in Cancun-get car and travel to Valladolid...staying in El Meson del Marquez...relax check out town...have relaxed dinner...(Night 1 in Valladolid)

Day 2-Arrive at Chichen Itza as early as possible-tour it in the morning and have lunch at one of nearby hotels-head back to Valladolid and check out one of the Cenotes Xke'ken & Samula....Not sure whether it is worth it to go back to the light Show at Chichen Itza or just have another nice dinner in Valladolid and relax (Night 2 in Valladolid)

Day 3- Leave Valladolid and drive to Tulum-staying at Zamas-relax and beach-eat at hotel (Night 3 in Tulum)

Day 4-Take trip to Xel-Ha...eat dinner back at Tulum (Night 4 in Tulum)

Day 5-Visit ruins at Tulum or Coba-I'm leaning towards Coba-sounds more interesting... (Night 5 in Tulum)

Day 6-ride back up towards Ferry to Isla Mujeres...Ferry over...stayind at Hotel Secreto (Night 6 on Isla Mujeres)

Day 7 Isla Mujeres (Night 7 on Isla Mujeres)

Day 8 Leave Isla for Cancun Airport and home

Again for anyone who has been to any of these places-any suggestions regarding must sees, must eats would be appreciated...We weren't planning on stopping in Playa-but I was wondering if it would make a nice afternoon from Tulum with maybe a dinner and a walk about...

Any and all help and suggestions -constructive please appreciated...

Thanks so much...

Patricia
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:52 AM

I would try to fit in a night at the hotel Dolores Alba before you go to Chichen Itza. We stayed there when our boys were mid teens and it was a highlight. They have a swimming pool that mimics a cenote with caves to swim through. It also makes it very easy to get to Chichen Itza early and beat the crowds.

That being said, it seems like you might be doing a lot of moving around in a short time. I would probably skip Isla Mujeres.

Be sure and see Cenote Dzitup near Valladolid.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:53 AM

Oh also, I would highly recommend Hidden Worlds Cenote park.

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:11 AM

Sounds like a great plan except day 4.
Personally I'd skip Xel Ha entirely and spend it on the GEORGEOUS Tulum beaches or split between Tulum town and the beach. Xel Ha's going to be crowded w/cruise ship passengers and a very different scene from some of your other activities.

Just MO though!
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Hi Patricia -

Another thought -

1. fly into Merida, settle in. Casa del Balam is really nice, Dolores Alba is probably better for kids.
2. more Merida (Sunday is a particularly good day for Merida if your schedule permits).
3. rent car, drive to Uxmal, return to Merida.
4. drive from Merida to Chichen Itza. Hacienda Chichen is really nice, Dolores Alba (branch of the one in Merida) is probably better for kids. Tour and stay overnight. Do not go to the light show.
5. see more of Chichen Itza if you missed stuff, then drive to Tulum. If you absolutely have to, stop for an early lunch or something at the Marquez in Valladolid. I have been to lots of small cities in Mexico, and Valladolid not exactly a favorite. The Marquez has a beautiful courtyard though. You could also see the cenotes.
6. Tulum
7. see XelHa and or Coba, back to Tulum.
8. Tulum to Cancun Airport to home.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:38 PM
kja

Hi, Patricia -

Sounds like a great trip!

You might consider snorkeling in the cenotes just north of Tulum. For more information, check out Hidden Worlds:

http://www.hiddenworlds.com.mx/

Enjoy!
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 04:49 PM

When you visit Chichen Itza, be sure to stop by Cenote Ik Kil - perhaps the most stunning on the peninsula. Yucatan Today has an article about it here: http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinat...st-cenotes.htm
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:12 AM

We stayed several nights at El Meson del Marquez and loved it! The food was outstanding (especially the sopa de lima). If you are up for it, there is a neat food court next door. The zocolo (town square) is a wonderful place. If you are interested in hammocks, be sure to go to the prison right outside Valladolid. You'll see the hammocks hanging out front. The best hammocks around!

On your way back from Valladolid to Tulum, be sure to stop by Grand Cenote. It is on you left just before you get to Tulum. Entrance is about $8 pp and it is a great place for snorkeling. My grandkids love it. Also Tulum beaches are fantastic. Tulum is one of my favorite places to shop. Be sure to eat at Don Cafetos.

Instead of Xel Ha you might consider Akumal. You should be able to snorkel with the turtles. Just go to the beach in front of Lol Ha restaurant
(another good place to eat) and go into the water right there. There will be plenty of people around to show you where the turtles are. Also, right around from Akumal beach is Yal Ku lagoon. Easy snorkeling for kids and lots of fish.

Isla Mujeres was my least favorite place. Especially with kids.

With only one week I would stick to Valladolid, Tulum, and Akumal. You will get plenty of culture, beaches, snorkeling, and relaxation.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. I can't wait to go back. We go about twice a year.

Happy travels!

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the responses so far...very interesting and helpful...

Just out of curiosity (and we definately plan to visit some cenotes since in addition to their beauty-I believe there was an IMAX film at the Franklin Institute -big science museum in Philadelphia-about them-they are unique to the Yucatan)-how cold are they? ;-)-still going just would like to know...

I was on the fence about Xel-Ha-one of the things I want to do was snorkel-haven't before and with my six year old son who adores the water and swims (sort of )and daughter who also love the water but hasn't snorkeled...if you go to Akumal (which sounds lovely-read a little about it...is there anyone to get you started or are you on your own...(granbury ?)

robertino-like the idea of Merida-recently read a great little article in Travel and Leisure on it...may not be possible this trip-already paid for some of reservations-if not this time-definately on my list for next trip...

Does anyone have any opinion on driving to Playa one late afternoon for a walk about and a dinner? (I get the feeling people usually have strong feelings for or against it...)

Again Thanks for taking the time to give your opinions and please feel free to keep them coming...

Patricia

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 06:09 AM

If there is a place in your list that you MUST SEE is Chichen Itza, everything else is nice to see, but nothing comes even close to the uniqueness of Chichen Itza, in my view. By the way, it is Zocalo and Gran Cenote versus zocolo and Grand Cenote....)
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 06:58 AM

Your itinerary sounds great - however as others have mentioned, you might be doing too much moving around for a week. We loved El Meson del Marquez and the restaurant is one of our favorites in the Yucatan. Valladolid is a good place to get a feel for the real Mexico, as it's not overly touristy. As others have mentioned, Tulum has incredible beaches. The downtown, which is a few miles inland, is also fun. See both Coba and Tulum ruins - they can both be done in the same day.
As for Playa - when we visit this area, we always try to spend a night or two in Playa. Yes, it's crowded and sometimes noisy, but the beach is great, and there is a mind boggling selection of places to eat. Do try and spend at least one afternoon or evening there.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Be sure to visit the ruins of Ek Balam while you are in Valladolid. They are about ten miles north of town, an easy taxi ride. It is a much smaller site than Chichen Itza (figure on about two hours), but remarkable because of the beautiful high relief carvings on the main temple. As far as I know these are unique in Mexico.

Not a big fan of Playa. 5th Avenue (it's really more like the old 42nd St) is full of tacky souvenir shops and guys hustling to get you to sign up for their tours, as well as a number of undistinguished restaurants, also employing touts, and some "spring break" style bars. Of course, others say it is wonderfully sophisticated and tres, tres Euro . . .

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Patricia,

As far as the cenotes go, to me they are cold. We always wear shortie wet suits (even in summer as I am a cold water wimp). Gran Cenote (sorry about the earlier misspelling) is an easy place to snorkel. That is where I taught my 5 year old grandson to snorkel.

Xel Ha is an all day event. It will probably be very crowded during spring break. Makes snorkeling difficult when you are constantly bumping into other snorkelers.

Akumal is usually an easy place to snorkel. The bottom is sandy and getting in is easy. There are boats harbored in the water. I like to swim around the boats because I normally see a lot of fish. A little further out from the boats is where the turtles are. I have seen turtles there every time I have been there. Like I said...just go in the water right in front of Lol Ha. If you feel like you need a guide, there are several dive shops right there on the beach.

Yal Ku lagoon is another easy place to snorkel. There are platforms with steps leading right into the water. Go early to beat the crowds.

Also, Zootsi is right. Playa is a fun place. Great beach, lots of restaurants, fun shopping. Your teen would probably really like it a lot. We always try to make it to Playa while we are in the Yucatan.

Have fun!
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 10:11 AM

Cenote water can feel cool to many people especially on a hot day! It's not cold for me but then I grew up swimming in Lake Michigan and Lake Superior!!

Maybe I'm prejudiced against Xel-ha to begin with but I'd think that a difficult place to snorkle for the 1st time. Just way too many people jostling for space. I agree, Akumal is quiet and a great place for a first time snorkler.

As for Playa, the south end of 5th has become overcrowded for my taste too although there are still a few worthwhile things. (I'm thinking fresh churros off the street vendor cart....uuuuummmmm!!) The north end of 5th is still nice and quiet though and a little more like old Playa.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM

I agree that Ek Balam is a great Mayan ruin to visit. When I first visited Chichen Itza in the late 80's you could still climb up to the top. You no longer can. One of the great things about Ek Balam is that you CAN climb to the top of the tallest structure. And the relief carvings are stunning. I prefer Ek Balam over Chichen Itza which has IMHO become very commercialized.

I personally love Isla Mujeres. Be sure to have breakfast or lunch at Cafe Cito. With kids the Isla beaches are great, but be aware of the possibility of topless bathers.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM

Lots of good ideas here. Our children were much older when we did this 2 years ago so ... I thought Valladolid was Ok but one night was enough, we enjoyed Merida, great town square, very active. Tulum is a small and beautiful site, Coba is very large, you will need to rent bikes or have someone take you around on a bike taxi at Coba. Uxmal is better but that may be out of your way. I did not like Playa del Carmen even for the short time we were there trying to get to Cozumel. Our route was Puerto Morelos, Tulum, Coba, Valladolid, Chichen Itza, Merida and Cozumel (with the car). The backside of Cozumel is amazing. Enjoy.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Wow-thanks so much for all the great advice...everyone has been really helpful...

I'm already wishing we had two weeks so we could include Merida and Cozumel-also curious about Isla Holbox which hasn't come up...we'll just have to go back again...;-)

I'm glad to hear that some of you have had positive experiences at El Mason del Marquez in Valladolid-courtyard restaurant sounds charming...Now have to decide whether to get in Ek Balam in addition to Chichen Itza when staying in Valladolid-we also want to do the cenotes in area (Valladolid) and at Chichen and a little walk about the town and some of the markets/shops...(we'll be there 2 nights-day we arrive in Mexico and second day-when we plan to go to Chichen first thing)

While at Tulum we have definately decided to skip Xel-ha and try our luck at Akumal-also I think I'd rather go to the beach below the ruins at Tulum and relax there then go through to tour the ruins-would like to try to tour Coba though.

Will check out Playa one late afternoon and for dinner-I've just heard so much about it both pro and con that since I'll be so near I have to check it out-and there has to be several good restaurants at the very least...

Have also heard a lot of pros and cons to Isla Mujeres but as we've already paid for two nights at hotel-we're going to go...I'm sure we'll manage to have a good time somehow...

I will definately do a trip report when we return...

BTW if anyone else reading is going with younger children (8 or younger) I would recommend a DVD I happened upon- Travel With Kids Mexico-The Yucatan- It was produced by Jeremy Roberts and features himself, wife and two very young sons visiting Cancun, Isla Mujeres, Chichen Itza, Merida, Tulum, Coba, etc...It has pretty basic production value and but if you are taking a small child-maybe 8 or younger-it might be something helpful to you-think Rick Steves traveling in the Yucatan with really young kids and wife when he was first starting out...I like mine-it is like a quality reality tv show...

(I also purchased one of Paris-I believe they also have a Carribean, Hawaii, New York and London one) I got mine on Amazon...

Thanks again so much for so much great advice and if anyone has any must do restaurants...;-) please feel free to send those suggestions along...

Patricia
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 07:32 AM

We have taken a similar trip without children. We were gone 10 days. 7 days to complete this means lots of traveling. We traveled everywhere by bus, collectivos and taxi. I would skip Valladolid. Navigating the tiny narrow, crowded streets in a car would be very difficult and the cenote was a disappointment. We did enjoy the Hotel Meson.. Instead stay at Chichen Itza. We highly recommend the Hacienda Chichen Resort. History, beautiful grounds, full size pool. Tour Chichen in the morning and you can stay for the light show at night. Although, if you miss it, that's okay. It was not spectacular, but interesting. Be sure to hire a private guide to tour the ruins. We hired one at the back entrance, not the main entrance where lines were long. It enriched the experience and we were not with a large group. Following, we could explore further on our own. Take lots of water.

We don't mind crowds and had a great time at Xel Ha, even if it is touristy. The Dreams Float in tubes was so much fun. It is an easy day of activity.

Tulum is a ways south. I would go to Isla Mujeres. Return your car and use local transportation to get to the ferry. Rent a golf cart on the Island and spend more than two nights. The beaches are beautiful. It is a great place to relax and just enjoy the beach. Your kids would love it.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 08:07 AM

We just got back from Mexico last week with 3 kids. We went to Coba on a tour with Alltournative off track adventures, it included outdoor activities and lunch in a Mayan village with a shaman and ceremony. The ruins were great, the tallest ruin in Latin America and the only one you can still climb up. I had been to Tulum on previous trips, it's nice as it's on the water, but it's small. Chichen Itza is the most important ruin of Mayan culture, about 3 hours from Cancun. We stayed at the Iberostar Pariaso Lindo in Riveria Maya, a fabulous family hotel with the best pools anywhere im Mexico(including lazy river and wave pool) and a great beach with all the water sports. There are several hotels in the complex and you have privileges at almost all of them (pools-restaurants-shopping). Have a great time, make some time to relax with the kids!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM

Patricia,

It sounds like a great trip but know the distances are long and the scenery can be very flat. We were there last summer with our daughters 16 and 11. We stayed in Riviera Maya and hired a private tour for one day to take us to Chichen Itza, Ik-kil Cenote with a stop at Vallaloid. It was perfect. We had a private driver in a nice air conditioned van all to ourselves. Along the way, he talked about some of the towns we drove through. We arrived at Chichen before the tour buses, he took care of purchasing the tickets. He waited and then took us to the cenote where we also had lunch (included). Afterwards, the girls were tired so we skipped Vallaloid and asked him to make a stop at Playa instead. After the two hour drive they were energized again. My girls absolutely loved Playa because of the beautiful beach and all the shops. It's pretty touristy but fun. They have actually requested to go back and stay in Playa for a long weekend. From there you can take the ferries to Cozumel if you like. Hubby was glad he could nap instead of drive back from Chichen and then have a beer in Playa and not have to look for parking. Our driver dropped us off and came back for us at a pre-agreed time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -