March 2008 CR need your help!!

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 07:09 AM
steviesmom

March 2008 CR need your help!!

Shillmac and MRRand,

I appreciate your past comments! Only a few weeks to go. Do we need to bring DEET oil? A guy at REI said that you just put that on a couple of spots on your body and you will be fine...also its it true that you should pay most items in cash as there is some kind of extra tax put on for credit cards? Please advise. Do we need any vaccinations? Thanks...anyone?

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not shillmac or mrrand (can I still answer)? I haven't used DEET oil, that sounds interesting and sort of like that flea stuff you put on the back of your cat's neck. Tee-hee! We used plenty of 40%+ DEET though, because the bugs love us. Many places offer discounts for cash. There are added CR taxes on credit cards that some vendors/hotels will say up front they'll give you a deal for cash. No vaccinations necessary, but I keep current with Hep vaccines as well as daughter (required for school).

When are you travelling? I forget...we'll be there in march as well.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM
steviesmom

Hi, hipvirgochick,

We will be there for spring break which in california begins March 22. The bugs seem to love me as well. We plan to stay in the Central Pacific area, do you think the mosquitoes are rapant there as well?

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 11:38 AM

I know the season is drier in March then when were were there last, which hopefully means less mosquitoes!

Out of the places we've been (Caribbean, Fortuna, Cenrtal Valley and Osa Peninsula) Osa on the hiking trails was by far the worst. Although my daughter got it quite bad in Puerto Viejo by the no-see-um's so she wore DEET at night too!

Best suggestion is just be prepared and then you can play it by ear.

We will be arriving March 22nd as well. I'm taking my 11 year old daughter. Which areas are you going to?
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:43 PM

If I were you, I'd bring it just in case. We brought OFF with 25% DEET with us. I used it every night when we go out to dinner. I got bitten quite badly (even on my face!!) when we went horseback riding to see sunset. I sprayed before we left for the tour, but I guess it wore off. We didn't get any vaccinations before we left for Costa Rica.

The exchange rate was pretty bad when we used credit card Mastercard). I think cash is probably better. Some places also give you the price in USD.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Hi! Answered on the other post. . .
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 06:59 PM
steviesmom

Hi, and thanks to all for the information. Hi, Hipvirgochick we are arriving in san jose at 5:20 am from lax. Then we are taking a shuttle to the Los Suenos marriott on the central pacific side. We plan to be there for 7 days going on trips to manuel antonio, going to some other rainforests, want to go on a canopy tour, see crocodiles and tortugas. How about yourself and your 11 year old? Please advise and thanks.

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 07:57 AM

Hi steviesmom -

We are returning to Puerto Viejo, Arenal and Osa Peninsula, and adding somewhere new...Manuel Antonio. Sounds like we will both be having fun adventures.

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 04:43 PM
steviesmom

Hip virgochick,

You have a good trip as well. Maybe we'll see you in Manuel Antonio.