Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Mar 2013 : Where to Go? Roatan, Maui or T&C (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/mar-2013-where-to-go-roatan-maui-or-t-and-c-943146/)

lpiccard Jul 17th, 2012 04:53 AM

Mar 2013 : Where to Go? Roatan, Maui or T&C

Hello,

We are looking to travel next spring during Spring Break with our 3yo daughter for 7-10 days. We are looking for a beach vacation and are planning on using miles to travel from Portland, OR. Our daughter thus far has been a good traveller and is used to 6hr long flights, although the one red eye that i did with her was painful. We are looking to travel to Maui, Turks & Caicos or Roatan, Honduras, and need help in choosing a place to travel. Here are some details about us and what we are looking for in a trip:

Us: We like to travel overall. I have always been more adventurous in choosing locations, and my husband gripes but usually ends up loving the places that I choose. We want to relax by a beautiful beach where the currents aren't so strong that our daughter can't wade in the water. We typically like to see and do a few cultural things, but since the arrival of our daughter, long car rides and visits to museums are kept to a minimum. We would like good food and a place to relax. We are travelling during spring break due to work/day care schedules and I want to avoid a place that is going to attract college kids on spring break.

Lodging: We want to be on the beach or really close. We prefer to stay in a rental versus a resort, but it would be nice if it had a swimming pool, etc. We would like to be close to restaurants and shopping. Walking distance would be ideal.

Concerns: My hubby is not hot on Roatan, but it looks gorgeous. I'm also concerned about food safety and sand fleas. Can anyone comment on this who has been there? Would like a few things to do or see that are not water based in case we get bored after a week on the beach.

I would love to hear advise or feedback from other fodorites. Many thanks!!

volcanogirl Jul 17th, 2012 05:13 AM

I think Maui is a great choice. I'd also take a look at Manuel Antonio Costa Rica. Tulemar Bungalows is a popular spot.

lpiccard Jul 17th, 2012 07:39 AM

Thanks so much volcanogirl! I've never been to Maui and it looks amazing. Do you know how long it takes to drive the Road to Hana? Might be ambitious with a toddler....

Hubby and I went to Manuel Antonio 7 years ago, and I think we would explore a different part of Costa Rica if we were to return. Although, my DD loves monkeys!

volcanogirl Jul 17th, 2012 08:57 AM

When we did it, it literally took us all day long. We left early in the morning and got back after dark. We did stop along the way for photos, etc. Unless your toddler loves being in the car, I think it would be a very long day. We had a CD that narrated the drive which was nice. We also like Belize - great food, beautiful, wonderful snorkeling, nice ruins, some wildlife, but there tends to be sea grass in the water which you may not want.

lpiccard Jul 17th, 2012 12:44 PM

A fourth contender has emerged. We are also considering Akumal. We spent our honeymoon in Playa del Carmen about 10 years ago and loved it, but would prefer something more low key. Akumal sounds like it could fit the bill. Any opinions on Akumal with a then 3yo?

StanKase Jul 22nd, 2012 02:09 AM

With the children I really think Maui is a very wise choice. In 4 years the flight with total time from house to hotel will be more suital for the kids for T&C.

DougBerger13 Aug 20th, 2012 03:24 PM

I have to vote Maui as well. It is such a tropical jewel.

There are quite a few wonderful rentals available on the beach (love using VRBO for timeshare/condo rentals). I'd recommend the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas. They come complete with all the amenities and it's on the ocean and includes pools.

My wife and I have done Hana two ways. The first time was in 6 hours with our starting point in Lahaina. The second time was much better. In that journey, we actually chose to spend the night in Hana. The beauty of this adventure is incredible. And Hana is the kind of place that should be experienced, not just used as the halfway point that you drive through quickly so you can get back to the hotel by dinner.

As far as a young child goes, Maui is a family destination. Whether you just share your experiences with them or encourage interaction with other young travelers, you'll have plenty of options and opportunities.

I wish you the best of luck in making your decision!

suze Aug 20th, 2012 03:42 PM

I vote Maui. Because of the age of your child and your location on the west coast.

sassy_cat Aug 20th, 2012 04:37 PM

I agree, Maui primarily because of your location but skip the road to Hana.
Scenery is not generally appreciated by any 3 yr old and your daughter wouldn't enjoy the car trip unless you stop at the first waterfall/swimming hole and spend the day paddling!

Akumal would be a good second choice. It's very laid back and the beach has a shallow entry, sandy bottom and gentle waves.
Don't rent a condo at Half Moon Bay though as the entry to the water is rocky.

JeanH Aug 21st, 2012 06:50 AM

I'm not a Maui lover myself, but, I think it's partly because of the longer flights from the midwest. I can be in Central America or the Caribbean in half the time.

However, from Oregon, and with a three old, Maui would be a good choice.

I've never been to Akumal. I did a bit of research last year and discovered that the actual town is across the highway and not on the beach. I really don't care to stay somewhere that is purely a tourist enclave, with no real town there.

If you're thinking Mexico, I'd look at Isla Mujeres, off the coast of Cancun. Beautiful beaches, amazing restaurants, lots of lodging choices. And, a real town....