Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:07 AM
san
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mapache rent car

any body know the cie cr.i would like to rent a car.what about mapachethank you
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 11:34 AM

I think all the companies are reliable probably. I especially like Tricolor and Dollar, but my daughter rented with Mapache and had a good experience.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 02:36 PM

I recently rented a car from Mapache Rent-a-Car in Costa Rica. The experience was TERRIBLE, I would not recommend them in any way. Despite any apparent savings they may provide, the inconveniences you'll experience will likely not make up for the few dollars you'll save.

1. The Mapache website uses an unsecured connection to take your credit card reservation. You should NEVER submit your credit card number to a website beginning with HTTP, always look for HTTPS (particularly internationally). Basically, it is easy for thieves to steal your credit card number. They are also not using real time credit card validation, which means print-outs, phone calls, and many other opportunities for your number for fall into the wrong hands.

2. They did not have an agent waiting at the airport. Several of us were waiting for some time, before finally an agent from Adventure rentals was kind enough to call on his cell phone. This was followed by another fairly long wait before a van rolled up. There are a number of rental agencies that don't have presence in the airport, but they all had agents waiting to assist you outside the airport.

3. Mapache does not have the capability to verify a credit card in their office. They read your number over a 2-way radio to some other location. This is another security risk for your credit card to be stolen, and takes up unnecessary time.

4. They do not gas up the vehicle for you. We were given a car with half a tank, leaving us looking for a gas station before we even got out of San Jose. You are also expected to return the car with the same amount of gas, an annoyance with came back to bite us later.

5. They apparently rely on some tourism agency to provide maps, which they were out of when we arrived. These are promised as part of their rental package. I don't know about you, but they last thing I want is to arrive in a new city, and be pointed out at the road with no idea how to even get to a highway. The staff was extremely un-sympathetic about this situation, with a half hearted "just go that way", and "maybe you can get a map at a gas station". BTW, gas station stores are often closed early and on weekends, we drove for an hour before we were able to buy one.

6. They were inordinately slow in getting our paperwork completed, and getting you in your car. It took about 30-45 minutes to deal with 2 customers they had in front of us. We arrived at 12:30, and got out car about 2:15 including the pickup delays and their general lack of efficiency in the office. That's a lot of lost time.

7. Finally, and most frustrating.. remember that they don't fill up the tank? As I mentioned, when we picked up out car, it had about half a tank, they agent said, "its about half, maybe a little more, just bring it back with half a tank". When we returned the car, other agents were working, who looked at the form, which said "4/8 +" and out half full tank, and said "You'll half to go add more gas, or we'll have to charge you $28 USD". We were furious, and I was already exploding at them when one with at least a little common sense decided it would be ok if they drove us to the airport, and we stopped at the gas station along the way and added 2,000 colonies to the tank.

What exactly is "4/8 +" of a tank anyway? I hope you guess right, or you'll be hassled by a whole raft of agents with apparently nothing to do but give you problems. Maybe they could go greet people at the airport, or locate some maps instead?

Anyway, use this fly-by-night at your risk to your time and credit card information. I hope they are not worth as much to you as the few dollars you may save with this operation.

Happy travels!

Bill
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 08:31 AM

I rented from Mapache and I also had some problems. I would choose one of the larger international companies.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:06 AM

I rented from Avis last week. they had counter at the airport, understood visa liability insurance, and very fast in transporting to main location(I did not wait, they had shuttle waiting for me).
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:17 PM

worldtraveler25,
Glad to hear you found someone who understands Visa liability insurance. I just set up a trip for mid Oct with Tico Travel. It's a 4x4/flight combo deal and I believe our 4 Runner is coming from Europcar and I reserved it on my platinium MC which provides liability ins. Only I'm not sure if they'll understand that in San Jose from what I've read. Any tips on making the process easier?
Thanks,
John
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 09:16 AM

I also suggest travel insurance. The mandatory insurance from Malpache has a 2,500 dollard deductible if you total the car. I was in a bad accident when I was in Costa Rica and my travel insurance covered that deductible.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 04:06 PM

Below is a direct e-mail quote from Mapache, who, in the end, refused to allow us to make use of American Express credit card car insurance: "ALL CREDIT CARDS must have a bank that owns the credit card, it is not possible you have a credit card itself, this must be supported by any bank; so we need you to go to your credit card’s bank so they can make this ORIGINAL LETTER SIGNED AND SEALED by the bank, and you bring it to us. On the contrary, we will not accept your declination."

We rented from them and were forced to pay their insurance. Later, they pulled some nasty tricks. With this rare exception, we found Costa Rica a lovely place with wonderful people. AVOID MAPACHE!