Manzanillo, Huatulco, Los Cabos?

Oct 1st, 2000, 04:04 AM
gina

Manzanillo, Huatulco, Los Cabos?

Looking for a vacation spot where we can do lots of snorkelling. I can find no info on snorkelling in any of these places. Has anyone snorkelled on West Coast Mexico? What was it like? Shore snorkelling or day trips?

Oct 1st, 2000, 08:21 AM
pam

Morning Gina, snorkling is not great on the pacific coast of Mexico. Water tends to be murky, especially if you've snorkled in Hawaii or Caribbean. We've tried Cabo [lots of undertoes because of the fact it is where two seas meet], locals pointed us to a beach somewhere between cabo and SJ del Cabo. That was okay, rocks and fish, but certainly no reef. Manzanilla was about the same, tried lots of places, water was dark and cloudy. Haven't been to Huatulco yet, maybe this spring, but if snorkling is your priority go EAST, can't beat the Caribbean. Happy Trails, Pam.

Oct 1st, 2000, 09:05 AM
Brian

Snorkelling is pretty good in Huatulco, although it's been 8 years since I was last there. I stayed at the Royal Maeva (now Gala Resort, I believe). The water in front of the resort was too rough for snorkelling, but they took you by boat to one of the many bays from where you could snorkel from the beach. On another trip arranged through the hotel, we went to a restaurant on a beach at one of the more secluded bays. While waiting for lunch, we were able to literally jump into the water right from the table and snorkel. The snorkelling there was nice--lots of colorful fish and large brain coral. The water was quite clear.

Oct 1st, 2000, 10:33 AM
Gina

Thanks Pan and Brian for your replies! No one ever seems to know about these spots. Appreciate the info!

Oct 1st, 2000, 10:55 AM
texasgirl

hi, i have to agree that caribbean side has much better snorkeling and diving than western side. i've been to acapulco, cabo, mazatlan and huatulco/puerto angel/puerto escondito and they just don't have that gorgeous blue water you get on the gulf side.That said, huatulco snorkeling was not bad, though i think you do pretty much have to take a tour. you can either take a big catamaran or (my preference) hire a boat and guide from the dock, and they'll take you out for a few hours or all day, you negotiate. maybe you can also snorkel from the beaches at the big hotels; we stayed at a smaller one closer to town so i'm not sure.

Oct 2nd, 2000, 06:44 AM
mexicodan

I snorkel all the time on the Bay of Tenacatita where I live.

mexicodan
www.choice1.com/villamontana.htm

Oct 2nd, 2000, 04:53 PM
Dennis

The Pacific side is very poor for snorkling and diving. Poor visibility with the run-offs from the rivers. Was just in Puerto Vallarta 4 day ago. Caribbean is much better water quality. Hasta Luego-Dennis