Search

Manuel Antonio vs Quepos

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2011, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manuel Antonio vs Quepos

We're spending 3 days in the Manuel Antonio area and are finalizing our hotel stay. I don't know MA at all and so the descriptions of the distance to the park/beach are a little confusing. It seems as if all the hotels are a good ways away from the beaches but still very accessible by foot or vehicle. My question is, does anyone recommend staying at Quepos vs MA? When reading descriptions of the hotels, some say that they are located in Quespos, some in Manuel Antonio, and some in MA National Park.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:03 PM

Quepos is the more industrialized city part. Most of the hotels are clustered in the MA area on the hill near the road leading to the park. Most tourists want to stay in the Manuel Antonio area, not Quepos.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 01:40 PM

Really they're one in the same. Quepos is the actual town and Manuel Antonio is the beach / park. Distance between the park and town is few miles (approx $5 cab ride). There's a bunch of shops, stores and hotels between the two.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 01:50 PM

Here's a map of the area http://mapcr.com/PDF/ManuelAntonioQueposMap.pdf (sorry, it's a little over a year old and the new edition is still a couple of weeks off) It's got elevation contours so you can see most of the hotels between Quepos (the town) and Manuel Antonio (the National Park) are up on the hills/bluff. There are a few hotels down at beach level near the park entrance and on a couple of side roads in between.

Walking along the road from Quepos to the park is a little sketchy because there are no sidewalks or shoulders and there is quite a bit of traffic. Fortunately there is a frequent local bus $0.75
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 02:08 PM

That's a great map, crg, one of the best I've seen.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks CRG! That helps a lot. I've been looking into a few hotels and have Gaia, Byblos, La Mariposa, Villas Nicolas (through someone's recommendation here). I've also emailed with someone from Tulemar and unfortunately they don't have anything availabler for all 3 days. They did give me the option of a Villa Mot Mot- Lower at a discounted rate because they have a renovation going on and there might be construction noise from 8-4. I've heard such great things about this hotel and wish we would have been able to book sooner. I'm tempted to go with the last option but am hesitant because of the possibility of noise.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 05:55 PM

Villa Mot Mot is very popular on the boards. Not sure how the noise would be though.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 06:13 PM

We loved the property. We stayed on the Buena Vista portion of the property but it's really all one big property. Great location since it's nearly mid point between the park & town. The on-property beach is better than the ones at the park (IMHO). Cafe Milagro, one of our favorite coffee shops / restaurants is within walking distance. For those interested. Cafe Milagro will is part of feature on the travel channel tonight at 9:30 (central). Enjoy!
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:21 AM

Also look at Arenas del Mar. They have access to both Playitas and the south end of Espadilla beach (by a van shuttle for the latter, if you get a lower unit you can walk to the former.) You can walk along Espadilla to Manuel Antonio park and the shops near the park entrance. I was able to stay there last green season (November) at a great rate. Buffet breakfast included.

www.arenasdelmar.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:55 AM

Hey VG!

How are you?

I believe costaricaguide is the same person who publishes that awesome annual rainfall map on his website that you scroll over with your mouse to see the averages.

His map looks great. May have to consider picking up a copy for myself...

Jo,

I'd definitely stay in MA as opposed to the town of Quepos. If you can get a room with a view of the Pacific, you'll be delighted! I don't remember hearing much about Byblos, but the other hotels you list have all gotten good reviews here and elsewhere. Mot Mot is certainly popular, but I guess I'd want to know how much things will be torn apart with the renovation (as well as the noise levels) because you don't want your own little piece of paradise marred by the visible presence construction equipment...
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 11:07 AM

Hi, C - I'm really good. It's good to see you around here! How are you doing? I didn't know crg did the weather map too - another of my favorites. Do you have any trips in the works?

Jo, Mango Moon is a nice hotel too. It's right by Mariposa. And Si Como No is very popular. I think they have a shuttle to the beach, but double check me.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 11:54 AM

I'm doing well, VG. Thanks for asking . I have a Europe trip in the works for this year. There are so many places to see in the world...

I actually was able to do a quick weekend in Arenal at the end of January. Just flew down for a few days; which is easy enough to do from Florida. Had a wonderful time! It was sort of a spur of the moment thing.

What about you? Back to CR this year or off on a different adventure?

Sorry for the highjack, Jo. I bet you'll find a hotel choice for MA that you'll really enjoy. A co-worker of mine stayed at Issimo Suites and seemed to like it... There isn't really a shortage of hotels in that area. It's just a matter of finding one that fits your criteria.