Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

manuel antonio villa mot mot or Uvita- Oxygen for 3 nights

Jul 28th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Hello. Me again.
So, almost there! Ive booked 2/3 of our trip and just trying to get the middle part done. We are starting with 2 nights at Nayara in Arenal and finishing with three nights at Jinetes de Osa in Drake Bay. Inbetween we have three nights and I am trying to decide between two places..
Manuel Antonio- Villa Mot Mot lower level
Uvita- Oxygen
Or we could do a combination of them both.
So, basically we want this time for the beach. For swimming, getting sun and for some surfing. Also, was hoping to have some nice authentic dinners out. Dont like places being too touristy. I know Oxygen isnt on the beach, but I was thinking that we could drive to manuel Antonio for one day, and spend another day surfing the beach at Uvita.
Can I get some opinions from anyone whos been to these places?
Thanks so much!
Jul 28th, 2010, 12:14 PM

I've been to Uvita, but not Oxygen, which looks completely different from Mot-Mot. Mot-Mot is gorgeous though and I love the beach right there so that would be my vote. Also more convenient for MA, more restaurant options, etc. Depends on what you're looking for. I wouldn't split 3 days into those two areas though.
Jul 28th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. What did you think of the Uvita area? Were there restaurants and things or was it pretty deserted?
Jul 28th, 2010, 04:47 PM

You said you want this time to be for the beach. I've stayed at the Tulemar property where Mot Mot is (like hip), and I've stayed in Uvita -- but not at Oxygen, at another property up in the hills.

I have to second hip's vote for Mot Mot and the Tulemar property. The beach is right there, and it's a nice beach for swimming. You can also walk just a few doors down from the property and be at a number of restaurants. I guess they are a little touristy maybe, but we liked them all. Costa Rica touristy is very different from USA touristy -- still not a lot of people really, comparatively speaking.

There are great restaurants in the Uvita area, but they're definitely more spread out -- a car would be essential. Also, not sure what time of year you're going, but the beaches in Uvita -- at least at the end of May -- were not really swimmable at all.

Since you're spending some time on the Osa, and it's a little deserted there, my vote would be for MA for you as a nice in-between option.
Jul 28th, 2010, 05:27 PM

We stayed at Tulemar Mot Mot (upper level) for 5 nights a couple of weeks ago. It was amazing. The first morning we were visited by a troup of spider monkeys, the remaining mornings (that we were not out) we were visited by white faced monkeys. The white faced monkeys even come up to the bedroom wrap-around glass and peer in sometimes. There are other other wildlife and beautiful flora all around. The property managers are outstanding too. It is a well maintained property, but there are a couple of small negatives. There were tiny ants in the bathroom and kitchen, but this is very common in CR. Also, there is a ugly, concrete three story house being built down the hill, but it does not block the view. It is just kindoff a distraction on an otherwise beautiful view.
Jul 28th, 2010, 05:40 PM

javafan1,
Did you have any issues with construction noise? Is the house on the Tulemar property? Do you know when it's supposed to be finished? Thanks!
Jul 28th, 2010, 06:35 PM

There was some occasional noise from the construction workers on work days. The house is adjacent to the lower pool and one of the lower bungalows. The basic structure is complete, but I would guess they will be working on it for months to come. I understand the property owners really hate it because it does not match the surrounding bungalows and it too tall. But again, the view is not that compromised. I think you would have had trees blocking most of that part of the ocean view anyways before the house was built.
Jul 29th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the voted and info. I think I'm decided on ma. Just a few questions about mot mot. Does anyone know if the bottom room is nice and if monkeys come there too? I always read about the top one but it's much more money and it's just the two of us. And has anyone stayed in the green coast bungalows?
Thanks!!!