Manuel Antonio to San Jose...by plane

Mar 26th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Manuel Antonio to San Jose...by plane

Has anyone ever flown from MA to SJ? I have heard there is a 25 pound weight limit on luggage and I am curious to know how strict this is or if it is totally true? If you are over (say by 5 pounds no more than 10) do they charge you a fee or do you have to dispose of items from your bag?

The travel agent told me to buy another ticket for another seat to stow my luggage. I think that is a little extreme. I am simply concerned I will go slightly over the 25 pounds.

Someone else who is a frequent traveller there told me they simply charge you a fee. I am at a loss as to whom to believe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mar 26th, 2008, 07:41 PM

The weight limit is 27 lbs and a dollar a pound over if it is Sansa.Get the straight scoop and go on their website or call them. Lou
Mar 26th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Keep in mind if you are over sometimes they will put your bag on the next flight. Pack light, pack smart, laundry service widely available, getting it under is easy. JMO - use a duffle, no rolling or regular suitcases, the ones I have (for non-CR travel) all weigh between 6 - 10 pounds alone.
Mar 26th, 2008, 09:16 PM

I think it depends upon how full the plane is; on our flight they told a girl she couldn't bring her bag on board, and she went ballistic. I think they were so scared of her that they finally agreed. She had a big fit to get it on the plane. I would definitely try to stick to the weight limit, so you don't risk it.
Mar 27th, 2008, 04:37 AM

People are amazing sometimes.....why do they think there is a weight limit?

These are small aircraft, being overloaded is NOT a good thing!
Mar 27th, 2008, 05:17 AM

Sage411, everything you have heard could be true at a given time.

Small planes are designed to only carry a certain amount of weight. They weigh everything, you, luggage and carryon. Personally I want to be on the plane that is NOT overwieght!

So, if you happen to be scheduled on a plane that is fully loaded, the weight restrictions would be strict. If it is a less full plane the wieght restrictions could possibly be overlooked a bit.

Everything that the others have said is true. You may have to leave a bag behind for another less full flight. You may be charged for the extra weight.

As Tully stated, just pack smart. Use a duffle bag and backpack. Or look into the new lightweight luggage that is now available. Take only what you need and only the amounts that you need for the number of days. For instance, 2 pumps of shampoo per day, instead of the whole family size bottle! First trip to CR I learned that hair dryers, straightners, makeup and such are of no use in CR, AHHH! the freedom!

I for one used to overpack bigtime. Since traveling on small planes, I have learned that I really never needed all that stuff!

There are many of us that have traveled for quite a number of days under 25 lbs. We now travel for approx 10 - 12 days under 21 lbs. You can do it!
Mar 27th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Sage, I used to take a 50-pound bag on every trip; I went to CR for our last trip with only 22 pounds. The weekender convertible bag from ebags.com saved my life - much lighter weight than my big rolling bag, and I was able to fit a lot in it.