Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Manuel Antonio or Tortuguero (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/manuel-antonio-or-tortuguero-818084/)

brandonmd Dec 17th, 2009 12:32 PM

Manuel Antonio or Tortuguero

Which of the 2 are more interesting, more beautiful, etc. ? I need to get some honest opinions... thanks

Davy1961 Dec 17th, 2009 12:42 PM

Honestly. Go to trip advisor and look at the photos contained in the reviews of the various hotels for both areas. You can get an idea of what the areas are like. Also use google images to search for photos of both areas. Relative beauty and interest are strictly opinions. If I could only visit one, which would I choose? I would extend my stay and do both.

brandonmd Dec 17th, 2009 12:53 PM

But what if you only could do one or the other?

Jeff_Costa_Rica Dec 17th, 2009 12:54 PM

They're two entirely different experiences.

Manuel Antonio - a nice national park, a very visited national park that can get crowded at times; a good selection of hotels and a lot of great restaurants, decent beaches.

Tortuguero - very remote; you only get there by small plane or boat but lodges include guided transportation in their package prices (I think getting there by boat is more fun); once there you get around only by boat; fascinating turtle-watching tours much of the year; it rains A LOT but you put on a rain poncho and go on your nature tour anyway.

qwovadis Dec 17th, 2009 01:15 PM

www.manuelantoniopark.com best choice for tourist experience

www.tortugueroinfo.com best wildlife very remote

nice but 2-3 days max...

colibri Dec 17th, 2009 02:17 PM

You are talking apples and oranges. MA area is beautiful, lots of the hotels on the hills above the beaches, wonderful views, wildlife on many hotel properties, but the national park has a reputation for being overly crowded with some of the animals very accustomed to visitors - will steal your snacks right out of your backpack, etc. Many Americans there running restaurants, nice beaches for swimming in the park, easy wildlife viewing. Most first time visitors include MA in their plans.

Tortuguero requires more logistical planning by either flying there or getting transportation to the dock for the boat - most tour operators supply all transportation, will pick up at SJ hotels. On your boat to Tortuguero you are viewing wildlife along the rivers and canals. At your lodge you'll have some boat outings into the national park via different canals and rivers, excellent wildlife spotting particularly during the early morning rides. Beaches here are not for swimming, very rough, strong current. Turtle season only runs July - October?? (not sure of dates) Some say only come during turtle season, we went in Feb. and loved it - quite magical. The village of Tortuguero is quite small, doesn't offer much. You'll eat all your meals at your lodge on a package plan.

It all depends on what you are looking for in terms of your own experience. No matter which one you choose, it will be a great time!

volcanogirl Dec 17th, 2009 03:01 PM

If you want beautiful beaches, tame wildlife, and lots of hotel and restaurant choices, go with Manuel Antonio. If you want a wilder off the grid experience with cool canals and amazing wildlife, pick Tortuguero. You'll most likely eat all your meals at your lodge if you pick Tortuguero. If you want a higher end experience in Torguero, we adored the Tortuga Lodge run by Costa Rica Expeditions. We liked Manuel Antonio, but it felt Americanized to us, which some people like because it's not too far out of their comfort zone.

brandonmd Dec 17th, 2009 03:28 PM

thanks everyone for your repolies