Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Manuel Antonio National Park: Villas Nicolas: "A wonderful Retreat for Relaxation and Privacy" (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/manuel-antonio-national-park-villas-nicolas-a-wonderful-retreat-for-relaxation-and-privacy-495348/)

scott4335 Jan 14th, 2005 08:15 AM

Manuel Antonio National Park: Villas Nicolas: "A wonderful Retreat for Relaxation and Privacy"

We stayed at Villas Nicolas in August 2005. I cannot explain to you how wonderful our experience was. Manual Antonio is a beautiful part of the world and Villas Nicolas is in the heart of it all. We were there without a vehicle and never had issues getting around. We were concerned about going in the Green Season. But it was paradise....lush...with afternoon seista's everyday like clockwork as it poured rain every afternoon to help you relax. After the hour or so deluge you could go out for dinner as it usually cleared up - so much like clockwork - you could plan your day around it. Sitting on the expansive decks that overlook the rainforest and pacific was amazing. We watched as iguanas climbed trees outside our room, and toucans flew in front of us. Amazing simply amazing. As the other reviewer stated - The staff was very friendly. Julio was there and was another very pleasant woman (not the manager she was on vacation) I don't remember her name but she was awesome! Another Point I agree with was the breakfasts. The Chef at the retaurant was very kind (great cook - loved the stuffed french toast!) and was always great to wake up to for a cup of coffee and some conversation. As for the maid service - Top Notch.....Beautiful fresh flowers and towels arranged and decorated on the bed everyday....and very pleasant too! Villas Nicolas is a wonderful choice in accommodations because you get a lot for what you pay for. Stay there and you will not be dissapointed....in fact I have just inquired about more reservations in May! We have to go back....I Can't Wait --- Villas Nicolas - Here We Come!

Scott & Rodney - Louisville, KY

got2bthere Jan 14th, 2005 09:40 AM

Hi again Scott, well it looks like we're thinking of doing a very similar trip to yours and Villa Nicholas is also on our short list along with Si Como No. Curious about how you got around with no vehicle as we would really prefer not to rent one - how did you get to MA from San Jose and how did you find getting around MA. Thanks for any info!

kthyrn Jan 14th, 2005 11:25 AM

I agree about Villas Nicolas! We just returned from an awesome stay. We did not eat there but were very pleased w/ our accomodations. Only negative was the location of our room was near the busy main road, but otherwise beautiful views and great porch w/ hammock!!

As far as getting around in MA, it is a very small area with 1 main road, so catching a taxi or bus is easy. Walking in some instances is also an option but there is no sidewalk in most places along the road which is busy. The area is also steep. We had a car but walked to dinner every night and only used the car occasionally.

Ian351 Jan 14th, 2005 12:15 PM

I can't wait to go there in late Febuary. It looked like the perfect place from the website photos and you seem to comfirm that!

Ian--- 43 days to go, and counting!

LA_FadeAway Jan 14th, 2005 12:48 PM

I stayed there last July and loved it too. Doris Dog is such a sweetheart. For those of you heading there soon, please give her a hug, kiss, and pat on the head for me! I wanted to stuff her in my suitcase, but I didn't figure she would clear customs :)

faithie Jan 14th, 2005 01:01 PM

Villas Nicolas is truly a beautiful , charming , clean , wonderful little place , full of ambience with super friendly staff ! No problem for us without a car either , local buses are great , and if you miss the bus flag down an orange ( or not ) taxi and it might cost 2.00 ( costa verde to barba roja for i.e. )

faithie Jan 14th, 2005 01:02 PM

P.S. yup , that dawg was cute !!!

scott4335 Jan 15th, 2005 06:50 AM

Hey Got2bethere!

We got to Manual Antonio with a private transfer. juan Carlos picked us up at the Airport in San Jose and took us to La Finca - then picked us up the next day and took us to MA. We then flew back to San Jose at the end of our vacation. If you go to Villas NIcolas - Request room 8 down! It has the best view and is a great room. As for driving in MA. No need taxi's abound. And Si Como No is right next door to Villas Nicolas. As stated though - be prepared if walking to go up and down many inclines - w/o sidewalk.......mostly walking on side of road or on the road. But I assure you that you will have the best time. Let me know your itinerary - especially when you return - I would love to have your feedback. If you have any other questions feel free to email directly! Have a good time - Think we may be going back in May!!! I cannot wait!

Best Travel Wishes to you and yours!!

scott4335 Jan 15th, 2005 06:50 AM

Hey Got2bethere!

We got to Manual Antonio with a private transfer. juan Carlos picked us up at the Airport in San Jose and took us to La Finca - then picked us up the next day and took us to MA. We then flew back to San Jose at the end of our vacation. If you go to Villas NIcolas - Request room 8 down! It has the best view and is a great room. As for driving in MA. No need taxi's abound. And Si Como No is right next door to Villas Nicolas. As stated though - be prepared if walking to go up and down many inclines - w/o sidewalk.......mostly walking on side of road or on the road. But I assure you that you will have the best time. Let me know your itinerary - especially when you return - I would love to have your feedback. If you have any other questions feel free to email directly! Have a good time - Think we may be going back in May!!! I cannot wait!

Best Travel Wishes to you and yours!!

Scott

got2bthere Jan 16th, 2005 06:16 PM

Thanks Scott, and everyone else for the great info. Trying to work out dates and a few other logistics now so hopefully will be able to finalize everything soon. Appreciate your help!