Mal Pais and Tambor hotels

Nov 7th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Mal Pais and Tambor hotels

Okay, as my plans & ideas are ever changing, I think I've settled on at least these 2 places (with Bosque del Cabo at the end of my trip.

In Mal Pais I'm considering Moana Lodge or La Hacienda http://www.lahaciendademalpais.com/ for either 3 or 4 nights. I really like the looks of La Hacienda but can find very little about it - anyone have anything good or bad?

In Tambor, I'll stay for either 1 or 2 nights and I'm looking at Tambor Tropical or Fidelito Ranch. These I realize are 2 very different type hotels but again there's not much I can find on either. If anyone is familiar with either I'd love to hear about it.

Gracias!
Nov 8th, 2007, 09:45 AM

Tully, there is another hotel in Tambor besides Tropical. Can't think of the name--I'll have to look it up. Haven't heard of any of the other hotels you have mentioned. I don't know--I think I'd advise Malpais (or Ste. Teresa) area rather than Tambor. . .

We loved Tropico Latino--if you could get the one beachfront bungalow, I think you'd enjoy it.
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

shillmac maybe you're thinking of Tango Mar, is that it? Tropico Latino, honestly a lot of the reviews have scared me off and I just love how La Hacienda looks.

I'm actually doing both places, not one or the other.

Btw, I just booked my R/T flights from SJO-PJ on Nature Air, I got in early for the 'locos' rates and my total was only $84! Loves it!
Nov 10th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

topping.....anyone else with some input?
Nov 12th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Yep--thinking of Tango Mar. Good for you on the great airfare! Here you go--planning again!
Nov 12th, 2007, 10:00 AM

I see now, rereading your post, that you plan to visit both places. Sometimes I'm a bit slow!

(It's getting worse. . . .) LOL

That's great--both are interesting. Perhaps you can visit Curu while you are at Tambor. We've never taken the time to go there, and it has always sounded interesting.

Are you planning to spend any time in Montezuma?
Nov 12th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Jill I don't know I'm still waffling a bit on the Tambor portion. Here's what I have so far for the section of the trip:

May 5th - arrive in Tambor 10ish, taxi to Mal Pais stay at Moana Lodge

6th - Mal Pais

7th - Mal Pais

8th - one more night in Mal Pais or taxi to Tambor, probably stay at Tambor Tropical

9th - either taxi to Tambor or will already be there

10th - early flight to SJO then PJ

What do you think? I definitely want to go to Cabo Blanco, but it's closed Mon & Tues, so will have to do Wed (or Thurs) if I stay an extra night in Mal Pais, Is Curu closer to Tambor or Mal Pais? If I do hit Montezuma, it'd be as some kind of day trip.....what do you recommend - is it worth it to go there for a few hours?
Nov 12th, 2007, 07:18 PM
surfersmom

I just confirmed my booking with Tropico Latino for 3 nts Jan 11-13 in the oceanfront. Thanks shillmac. I am also staying 3 nts at the Mal Pais Surf Club, just for variety and to save a few $$ $160 vs $95. Thinking of either renting a car there for 3 days or perhaps an ATM (can you carry a surf board on an ATM?). Then off to Montezuma for a night ... hopefully at Amor de Mar. So looking forward to this trip w/my 22 yr old daughter.

Nov 12th, 2007, 07:19 PM
surfersmom

Sorry ATV what was I thinking .. it is late

Nov 12th, 2007, 07:52 PM

surfersmom, wow--amazed at the change in prices for Tropico Latino. The beachfront bungalow was $90 when we stayed there in March of 2004. For $165, I sure hope they've done some upgrading? Think you'll like it, though, as far as great beach proximity! We really liked Amor de Mar, although it was hotter than heck when we were there. It was July and not a drop of rain in sight--it would have been a welcome relief! No AC, etc. . .

Tully, I know. It was a bummer for us that Cabo Blanco was closed on Monday and Tuesday. We didn't realize it and made a trip in on Tuesday (had to go around through Montezuma back then), only to discover that we would have to return on Wednesday to do it. It was worth it, though. These days (so I hear) the short cut from Cabuya to Malpais has been improved and saves having to drive the 45 min or so around through Montezuma to get to Cabo Blanco.

Curu is on the east side of Tambor, and I am thinking it is more of a private reserve. It seems in line with the kind of thing you like to do, though.

Hard to advise you about staying that one night in Tambor as opposed to an extra night in MalPais. First time we were there in 2002, it was such a sleepy little fishing village--very quiet. Tambor Tropical was there, but I'm not sure about Tango Mar. We stayed at the Barcelo (which I hate to admit, but there was a reason). We loved the solitude of the area and the feel of being off the radar. There was a place about 15 min from Tambor (to the west) called Bahia Ballena Yacht Club. It was a great place for beer and fried fish. I think it is still there.

Malpais felt that way as well (off the radar), 3.5 years ago! I'm glad you're going before it gets over-developed!

Yes, I think Montezuma is worth your time. You'd enjoy the falls--definitely worth seeing. The town itself is kind of fun to explore as well. There are some decent restaurants, most of which I can't remember the names! Ylang Ylang wasn't my favorite. There is one further down, across the street, and to the right (overlooking the beach) that we have always enjoyed (two levels).

Having a car there was helpful, but I'm hoping you won't have a problem with taxis, etc. There are probably more services like that now than there used to be. Frank's Place in Malpais (at the crossroads) was a good place to hook up with transportation.

ATV'S have always been very popular in this area, which, to me, detracts from an area rather than adds to it.

Is your dad still traveling with you on this trip?
Nov 13th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

My dad is still keeping me waiting for his response As far as I know though, it's pretty much a go.

Yeah, I'm still on the fence for 3 nights in Mal Pais, 2 in Tambor vs 4 in Mal Pais and 1 in Tambor. Curu would be much easier from Tambor of course, so if I plan to do that I'd need to do the 2 nights in Tambor. On the other hand that'll leave me with Cabo Blanco only possible on Wednesday, so a downpour or something could mess that up. Oh well, I'll stew about it a little while longer!

So pretty much my whole trip is already booked then: 3 nights at Bosque de Paz, 3 (or 4) in Mal Pais, 1 (or 2) in Tambor, 5 nights at Bosque del Cabo and last night probably at Orquideas. Won't have a car, but Moana in Mal Pais seems well suited to help arrange anything so maybe I'll do a day trip to Montezuma. Driving an ATV just makes me think of all the possible ways I can knock myself unconscious
Nov 13th, 2007, 07:45 PM
surfersmom

You 2 make me laugh .. I always like reading your comments. I tried to get Amor de Mar in Montezuma, but even though they had the room, they wouldn't book for just one night ... told me to check when I got there. Well... Jan, I didn't want to leave it to chance, so booked at El Jardin .. looks nice. I've been fussing with the car/ATV thing thinking that an ATV would be cheaper, but not sure my daughter could take her surfboard. I have to admit, the price was a little shocking to me too for the beach cottage, but I keep thinking that it might be special for my daughter and I as we have never done a trip just the 2 of us. She needs to do some thinking about what she wants to do with her life and I hope to do a lot of talking with her when we are there. So bottom line is I figured that I could pull off 3 days at that price

Nov 14th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

I think that'll be a nice mix though, staying at both. I'm betting as much as atv's are used down there there is a way to transport a surfboard on one of them. Can't wait to hear about your trip when you return, you can give the scoop on some good restaurants and the area in general!
Nov 14th, 2007, 04:45 AM
surfersmom

Tully what are your dates? I go Jan 8 to 18 and my daughter stays 8 to 29. Although only 8-14 will be in Mal Pais and Montezuma. Then back over to Jaco by water taxi to stay in Hermosa .. me for 3 days and her for 2 wks. She will hook up with a local surfer and his surf camp which she went to last year and said it was awesome.