Mal Pais & Exploring the OSA

Mar 5th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Mal Pais & Exploring the OSA

My boyfriend and I are visiting Costa Rica for the first time April 1-14, 2007. We're in our mid to late 20's, very physically active, looking to relax but also to do some big time exploring. With all of the helpful suggestions (from another posting) we have finally begun to shape a plan (based around availability - good call, shillmac). Of course, now more questions abound. Help, please!

Our intinerary is as follows:

ARRIVE SJO April 2nd (6:30 am), fly Nature Air to Tambor (12:30 pm), get over to Mal Pais & spend 4 nights relaxing on the beach, learning to surf, cooking and playing, etc. [By the way, how does one get from SJO to Tobias airport?] Waiting to hear more reponses about lodging available in the area for the nights of the 2nd-5th, departing the 6th (thus far Hotel Moana Lodge & a tree house vacation rental have availability); would anyone recommend one over the other?

April 6th fly back to SJO, then fly, same day, Nature Air down to Drake Bay.

We were thinking about splitting the rest of our time on the Osa: half of it on the Drake Bay side to take advantage of snokeling Cano Island, etc., and the other half at the most southern tip near Cabo Matapalo / Dolce side so that we can really see what the Osa is all about, explore it from different angles, and not waste too much time traveling.

We thinking of spending the nights of April 6, 7, 8 in Drake Bay and then the nights of April 9-12 near Cabo Matapalo.

On the Drake Bay side, we've been given lots of options of places to stay for those nights (Mirador, La Paloma, Jinetas de Osa, Marenco Lodge & Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge). For the southern side, we've ben offered El Remanso, The Pearl, & limited dates at the BdC. I know these are tremendously varied in terms of price, so perhaps I'm the only one that can decide which to book: just thought someone might be able to help steer just a little in terms of recommendation.

What is just NOT to be missed?

For the latter half, I am really leaning towards El Remanso. It seems really remote and beautiful to me - I mean, I'm sure it ALL is - and their dates work better for us with this itinerary than trying to work around being about to stay at the BdC and then switch over to the Pearl. I really like the idea of surfing in different locations, too.

Is this a good idea?
Mal Pais first, the 2 sides of the Osa?
Would this be redundant?

We would be departing from Puerto Jimennez on April 13th (already booked the Hotel Grano de Oro for our last night / depart SJO at 7 am on the 14th.)

Unfortunately, we will not get to see the Caribbean side this time around. Hopefully, this means we will come again!

Thanks so much for reading! Best wishes and happy travels! Any info. & advice much appreciated!

Search this Thread