Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Making Interbus shuttle to Arenal and alternatives (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/making-interbus-shuttle-to-arenal-and-alternatives-426908/)

tkmg23 Sep 4th, 2008 09:44 AM

Making Interbus shuttle to Arenal and alternatives

Hello -
Well, we finally purchased our tickets and we'll be arriving at the SJO airport on January 9th at 6:30am!! I luckily got into all our first choices of lodging -Silencio del Campo, La Posada, and Hotel Pura Vida. And making decisions on adventures and activities.

Arrival question, though: We are not renting a car. However, we were planning on taking an Interbus shuttle to Arenal that day. There is a shuttle leaving from the Green Turtle Souvenir shop (2 minutes from the airport) at 8:30am and then again at 3pm. Is it humanly possible to make the 8:30 shuttle?

If NOT, which is what I'm assuming, what should we do from 8:30am-3pm while we wait for the shuttle, assuming that both of us have a suitcase and a backpack. We want to conserve money for canyoning and ziplining, etc. so anything thrifty would be great! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

volcanogirl Sep 4th, 2008 02:58 PM

It's possible, but there's no guarantee. I've had immigration and customs take anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours there depending on how busy and crowded it is. If you miss the early shuttle, will you get your money back? There's also the issue of flight delays; all of our flights to CR have encountered some sort of delay for some reason or other.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Sep 4th, 2008 03:22 PM

The chances are in your favor that this will be enough time, but you never know about flight delays. If your flight is late getting in and you miss the morning shuttle, Interbus would look on that as a no-show and not refund your money. Officially, you're supposed to make reservations with them at least a day in advance, so who knows what they'd do? You'd need to get on the phone after you arrive and hope they could put you on the afternoon shuttle, you shelling out the money for additional tickets.

tkmg23 Sep 4th, 2008 04:56 PM

Thanks for your ideas. I think we better not get tickets for the earlier shuttle. I just hate to waste that time when we could be in Arenal!

shillmac Sep 4th, 2008 05:19 PM

I'd take the chance. Unless you are significantly late (more than 30 min), you should be okay. I can't imagine that there are that many planes arriving so early, but there may be.

Are you sitting near the front of the plane? Are you checking luggage? All of those things make a difference in getting you to the front of the immigration line and out the door.

Grabbing a taxi out front and heading over to the Green Turtle will take about 5-10 minutes.

If you do decide to stay, you have a bit of a problem in what to do with your luggage, as you know. There are things to do, sure, but not with luggage in hand.

Have you checked the other shuttle schedules? Costa Rica Transfers, does that one still run? How about a private driver? It might cost you $100-$125, so you'd basically be paying an extra $40 or so, but it seems worth it to make good use of those hours. That is a significant amount of time to forfeit.

Whatever you decide. . good luck, and have a great trip! I'm sure it will all work out for you. :)

volcanogirl Sep 4th, 2008 06:14 PM

tk, we hired a private driver to take us from SJO to Arenal; it cost us $120 for a nice, private air-conditioned van and great driver. He even brought pillows and blankets for us and bottled water. Despite delays, a private driver will wait for you and work around your schedule - might be worth the money to you to basically have a guaranteed extra day of vacation.

tkmg23 Sep 5th, 2008 07:14 AM

I appreciate all your help on this and my other posts! "It's all an adventure!", that's my travel motto. The Interbus shuttle is at 8:45 (might need those 15 minutes) and we're going to chance it. If there's a delay, we'll have the adventure of finding other transport (Ox cart?!).

shillmac Sep 5th, 2008 08:39 AM

Ox cart would be cool. . .I think you'll do fine. If not, you can hire a taxi driver to take you there. Don't lose 7 hours! :)

volcanogirl Sep 5th, 2008 08:44 AM

I think you have a good shot at making it - have a great trip!

soloadventurer Sep 5th, 2008 07:53 PM

I have the same concern - my flight arrives San Jose at 6:30 am and the Interbus shuttle leaves at 8:00 am or 3:00 pm to Monteverde. After a red eye flight the last thing I want is to be stuck in San Jose with my luggage until 3:00 pm. I seriously doubt I can make the 8:00 am Interbus shuttle - am checking luggage. Can anyone suggest an affordable option? Thanks!