Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Machu Pichhu and Galapagos: Advice re tour companies?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip next March to trek the Inca trail to Machu Picchu and then head to Ecuador to, among other things, spend a week cruising the Galapagos Islands. I have contacted several tour companies and was hoping Fodorites might be able to provide me some feedback regarding the following:

1) Amazing Peru: How have people's experiences been with Amazing Peru? I seem to be having trouble communicating my needs to the agent from Amazing Peru. He forwarded an itinerary before even asking my preferences and then has discounted all my suggestions for changes. For example, I had in mind a sailboat like Lammer Law or the yacht Millennium but he has us on Nemo I. When I asked about the other boats, he said, that Nemo I is "almost identical" to the Millennium. He questioned why I would want to pay $1500 more for the same thing. Then, when I mentioned that we might want to stay a night at the Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge, he said that "not a single one of the rooms has a view of the ruins" and that the hotel he had us booked in, "The Pueblo, located down the hill is actually rated much higher by all sources at half the price." I wonder if anyone can help me discern the accuracy of his claims.

2) Latin Excursions and Blue Parallel: The agents from Latin Excursions and Blue Parallel both seem much more inclined to fashion an itinerary that accommodates our preferences. Has anyone had experiences with either of these two tour companies? Are they reliable? Too expensive? Does anyone have any other tour companies they favour?

Finally, if anyone has any advice regarding trekking to Machu Picchu (for example, how taxing will it be for a relatively fit 50 year old?) or visiting Peru, Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Karen
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:47 AM

Hello Karen
Try to contact to Sun God Expeditions (www.sungodperu.com) they took care of us when we did Peru and Ecuador Tours, good company and very helpful, I suggest Sun God Peru.
We were at Millenium yatch and is not same that NEMO I, Millenium is better,
I think you have to insist with millenium
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:37 AM

Try Sun God Expeditions, they really did a good work with Us, They will offer you the ,illenium Yatch, and I tell you that Nemo is not the Same than Millenium, MILLENIUM IS BETTER!!!, and this guys will help you, they have their office based in Peru for help you for the incas trail, and Office at Ecuador for Galapagos, is not too cheap(i think if you pay low prices you got low services) and also not too expensive (well if you ask for Class A service
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice re Sun God Expeditions. Does anyone have any experience with Blue Parallel?
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:59 PM

hello, good I can offer information you about transport outside aeopuerto (for boarding and disembarks) but in Lima... exists a company of transport for tourists, it is not expensive, and it is safe, and when you arrive at the airport very usually the airport is disordered and it is always better than somebody this hoping or to take them to its hotel or where you they wish to spend the day or the night good bye I give my mail if you wish to contact with this company, [email protected]
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:59 AM

Hi Karen,

My husband (65) and I (54 at the time) were "relatively fit" and I can tell you that the Machu Pichu trek is really a challenge. We are both serious walkers and the year before we did it I walked in the Breast Cancer 3-day walk - 60 miles in 3 days. Now, we live at sea level so there was no way for us to train for the altitude and it does affect you. I took Diamox (he did not) to help and I believe it really worked because I was not affected by the altitude as much as he was. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed it, finished with no serious problems, but it was harder than we thought it would be. Make sure you have the proper boots, socks, clothes and be sure to train, train, train. One good side benefit for us - when we came home we decided we needed to do more than walk and ride our bikes. We are now lifting weights, spinning, cycling, and walking and are much more fit than when we went to Peru.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Pegsimba. On previous trips my husband has demonstrated susceptibility to altitude sickness so I will strongly encourage him to take Diamox. Both of us will start NOW to train, train, train!!
Karen
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 03:43 PM

Karen47:
My wife and I are currently considering booking with Blue Parallel(to MP,etc.), and were wondering about the relevant experiences of others. I noticed your (repeated) inquiry about the company on several months ago, but also noticed, unfortunately, no reponses. Do you have any information about Blue Palace at this time?