Reload this Page >

Machu Picchu, Cuzco, Lake Titicaca

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 1998, 12:44 PM
Arizona

We are thinking of going to these places and wonder what time of the year would be best. Second, has anyone a particularly good tour company to recommend. Did the altitude pose problems for you?

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 03:39 PM
Dave

We went to Cuzco, Machu Pichu, and Amazon last winter with International Expeditions. It was our best trip ( and we have taken a few.) Each place was exciting- if you like nature, history, and learning about other cultures. <BR> <BR>We also saw the Nazca lines.

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 03:41 PM
Dave

We huffed and puffed somewhat in Cuzco walking uphill, but it was not significant.

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 04:03 PM
david

I traveled to Peru a couple of years ago. I made most of my arrangements after I got to Lima because it was much cheaper that way and if you go I recommend this since the dollar is very stong there. However my trip took a bad turn when I got a small cold in Lima since it was a little chilly and then flew up to Cusco. To make a long story short , I believe because of my cold I developed altitude sickness and spent 5 days in the Cusco clinic in very serious condition. I was Medi-vaced down to Lima were I gained enough health back to barely fly home after another 5 days. It took me months to get my strength back. AT the time I was an athletic 35 year old in very good shape and health. So I guess what I'm trying to say is be very carefull with the altitude ( not to mention the communists, which I also got involved with !) I never made it to Machu Pechu....

Old Aug 18th, 1998, 05:09 PM
Irene

I went on a tour with Overseas Adventure Travel 3 years ago and had a great time. We spent a night on Taquille Island in Lake Titicaca which was a really special place. Machu Picchu was all I expected - be sure to hike to the top of the peak. Didn't have any problem with the altitude (other than the huffing/puffing someone already mentioned) - and I'm a flatlander from Florida! I went in July which worked out fine. Have a great trip! <BR>

Old Aug 24th, 1998, 05:32 PM
Diane

I hope I'm not too late with this reply! I have researched and researched for the longest time for a trip to Peru and Bolivia for myself which is the ONLY problem I have come across ... whether to tour or travel alone. The latter having some very cheap options indeed! I opted for a tour and have found the greatest travel company in Southwind Adventures based out of CO (southwindadventures.com ask for Tom Damon or Suzie Shride-Felipa) - they are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Thus far, I have received 2 complete packages of the best information containing 'everything under the sun', it's all wonderful! Another tip would be to purchase the Lonely Planet book of Peru - again, the information given is outstanding and you will find many other tour companies suggested throughout the book. I would definitely prefer to go the cheaper more native route but not this time round - you're much braver than me. Have fun! E-mail if you like.

Old Sep 1st, 1998, 01:48 PM
jennifer bonnett

<BR>I recently travelled to Peru in May 1998 through GAP company. It was very economical, very well arranged and trips never get cancelled if there is not very many people. THere were a couple organized trips that were very interesting. April and May seem to be the better times to go as it is still warm and it is the dry season. Have fun and feel free to write if you have any more questions!!!

Old May 1st, 1999, 08:24 PM
lindsey

Dave tell me about the Nazca lines we are thinking of doing that. Tell me about it! <BR>thanks <BR>Lindsey

Old May 2nd, 1999, 04:15 PM
jj

I went to Peru for my honeymoon. On the quick flight from Lima to Cusco my husband said my face had turned GREEN, and I felt nauseated. When we arrived, the hotel quickly served us coca tea (yes, made from coca leaves) and it was a lifesaver. Lake Titicaca was an EXOTIC wonderful place, you must go. We took a hiking trek up to Macchu pichu, however I tore my ankle ligament on the 2nd day!! It is a long sorry story involving lack of available ice, going down by horseback, travel on local crowded train with painful ankle, chickens, and women cooking potatoes on train, and the cusco doctor's x-ray machine that was the size of 1/2 the room. i.e. DO'NT get an injury over there. The overall highlight of the Peru trip was the few days spent in the Amazon. Look into this option.

Old May 3rd, 1999, 06:04 PM
sheila

We just returned from Cusco/Machu Picchu, using Lima Tours as guides. They were efficient and knowledgeable. Allow plenty of time to wander Cusco. (We didn't.) It's one of the loveliest Latin American cities I've seen and has a beautiful plaza. Definitely go to Machu Picchu. Ride the train from Cusco, but take the helicopter back. (For efficiency and the sights.) Whenever you go, take layers. We were hot in LIma, cook in Cusco, hot in MP. <BR>You may e-mail me if you like for more information. Sheila

Old May 17th, 1999, 01:43 PM
Amy

I went on a two week trip to Peru last year, and absolutely loved Cusco and Macchu Picchu. I thought it was one of the most magical places I have ever been. I had no problem with altitude sickness, just a little shortness of breath, and the coca tea helped. I would highly suggest spending the night in Aguas Calientes and seeing the ruins first thing in the morning before everyone else gets up there. There is inexpensive lodging in Aguas Calientes (Gringo Bill's was about $8 a night, clean and friendly) and there are hot springs to enjoy. Have a great trip! <BR>