Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   MA to Dominical (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/ma-to-dominical-431190/)

koa May 12th, 2004 10:33 PM

MA to Dominical

Okay Costa Rica Experts, I need your help here. Just how bad is the road from Manuel Antonio to Dominical. I wanted to go to Dominical to surf, but will have the wife and kids. If the road is really sketchy, then I am changing my plans.I can always stay in Hermosa/Jaco area to surf.

koa May 13th, 2004 11:51 AM

TTT

shillmac May 13th, 2004 12:59 PM

Gee, I hope someone replies who has driven this recently. I have HEARD that there have been improvements to the road. Check with Neta at
[email protected]. She will be able to check this out for you!

koa May 13th, 2004 02:47 PM

Thanks shillmac, I really dont want to commit to a hotel if the drive is really sketchy.

shillmac May 13th, 2004 02:56 PM

koa,
Hi again! I've never seen or heard anything to make me think this drive is all that bad. If I were in your shoes, it wouldn't keep me from making plans. It won't be one of the better roads, the way I understand it, but there are certainly far worse!

shillmac May 13th, 2004 05:21 PM

Hi koa,
Neta in Costa Rica tells me that she checked with a hotel and this is the info:
The road from MA to Dominical is not great, but you don't even need a 4X4 to get there--about 75 minutes.

koa May 13th, 2004 08:03 PM

Thanks everyone. I think Im going to chance it. Nothing like a little adventure.

shillmac May 14th, 2004 09:19 AM

You are getting that Costa Rica Frame of Mind! Have Fun!

koa May 14th, 2004 10:17 AM

Well as luck would have it, villa rio mar is booked on my first day there. Thinking about roca verde. Any other suggestions in Dominical.

fay_rebuelta May 14th, 2004 01:20 PM

You've already decided to drive it, but to give you some additional comfort:

My husband and I drove it at the beginning of March. Not at all sketchy. Just bumpy. Okay, maybe the bridges are a tiny bit sketch, b/c there are signs that say in Spanish "Bridge in a bad state, but it's hard to take seriously when a lot of the bridges have the same sign and there are heavy industrial trucks going over them.

You'll want a car with high clearance to go at a decent speed.

Have fun!

karenf May 14th, 2004 02:34 PM

Hi koa, We drove from Manuel Atnotnio all the way to the Osa peninsula last year. The road to Dominical was not bad at all. It was just slow because they were doing some fixing up. For what it is worth we did not like Villas Rio Mar. The room was small, not that clean, and was supposed to have hot water. When I told them in the morning that there was not hot water (we were there only one night) the desk clerk was rather snotty and told me I still had to pay for the room. I never asked for a discount or implied I did not want to pay for theroom, I just wanted them to know there was not hot water so they could repair it. Also a small thing but breakfast was not included in the price. The breakfast prices were not bad but the dinner prices were high and the food was not good at all.There is a nice pool which the kids would probably like. This is just one opinion.

koa May 14th, 2004 09:10 PM

Okay, Now I dont feel too bad about villas rio mar. I also feel better about the road. I thought it was going to be like the road to monteverde Any other Dominical suggestions?.

r4family May 15th, 2004 07:05 AM

Hi Koa, My family and I were on this road in Jan. 04. It's not to bad, just need to go slow. I would get a 4x4. I think it would be worth it to continue on to Dominical. This was the 2nd year in a row that we stayed in Dominical. It is beautiful. The atmosphere is much better for a family than Jaco would be! We were not impressed with Jaco at all. Would never stay there. Have you thought about renting a private home in Dominical? We did just that last 2 yrs. and it was great. A good source for this would be www.vrbo.com. It may seem more expensive but you could cook some of your own meals, have refrig. privacy,etc. There is also some hotels right outside of Dominical that are pretty nice. A great rest. that we found this year is south of Dominical a few min. On right side of road. It is named La Parsella. Highly reccommended. Great food, service,views. Also don't miss Don Lulos waterfall tour. It is super. It may seem expensive but you are served 2 meals that are worth at least 1/2 of the price. The cool thing about this experience is that on his property he has scarlet macaws that you can have sit on your head, take pictures of. My kids loved it. They also have other animals and birds that they have rescued. The toucans will "pose" for pictures with you also. I noticed also that you have been looking for a good car rental. We have used Adobe in San Jose for two years and were very happy with their service. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know.

trevorjoyce May 15th, 2004 12:30 PM

r4family...where did you get the don lulos waterfall tour that you spoke about??? thanks, Joyce

koa May 15th, 2004 01:47 PM

Thanks for the tips r4family. That waterfall tour sounds great. Decided on Roca Verde, looks decent and on the beach.(I can just walk to the surf) What time does that waterfall tour start? Is there an afternoon trip?

r4family May 16th, 2004 08:36 PM

Don Lulos tour starts in the morning. I think about 8AM. The tour is on horseback for most of the way and a 10 min. hike to actually get to the falls. Be sure to bring your swimsuit. It's on the road east of Dominical on the way to San Ysidro. Everyone knows of it and you should have no trouble getting the phone number. You do need to call the night before for a reserv. Make sure you don't eat breakfast before you go as they serve a complete breakfast. The entertainment during your meals consists of Roberto {one of the scarlet macaws} flying over your head. Just too cool for words. Can't recommend it enough. The road up to the waterfall starts at a junction where roadside vendors sell all kinds of fruit and veggies. If you can go tom La Parseela the rest. I mentioned in my earlier post. Any more questions don't hesitate to ask. This past year was our families 4th trip to C>R. We have als o been to Osa, Tamarindo, Arenal, Punta Banco and Sarapiqui. By the way we always stay at Bougainvillea on the way in and the way out. We love the wonderful service, gardens etc. If anyone goes there please say A big Hi to David, the fabulous waiter in the rest. Tell him The Sunseris from CA. Eduardo and Patricia and the three boys send their love.

koa May 18th, 2004 09:07 PM

Thanks for all the info. Stayed at bounganvillea and really liked it. This time, im trying Orquideas inn.