MA, Lake Arenal, and Monteverde in 2 weeks?

Mar 4th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

MA, Lake Arenal, and Monteverde in 2 weeks?

Is it possible to do all three in about 2 weeks time? And if so, in what order (if it matters) and what is the cheapest route? Oh, also, are there cheap accomadations in all three places? Thanks!
Mar 4th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Yes , u can do all 3 spots . Arenal first , then Monteverde , then M.A. .... Others could say differently , maybe even the reverse of this .... Lots of lodging choices .
Mar 5th, 2005, 08:38 AM

Just returned from doing the identical itinerary. It's very doable in 2 weeks.
Nights 1 and 10 spent near San Jose airport. Then 2 days in Arenal, 3 in Monteverde, 3 in M.A.
In Arenal we splurged because we wanted a room with a view of the volcano. Stayed at Arenal Paraiso, $100.00 per night incl taxes and b'fast.
In Santa Elena the Arco Iris, $55.00 per night incl taxes and b'fast.
In M.A. La Colina, $65 per night incl taxes and b'fast. There were 4 of us and we rented a 4x4. f you rent a car suggest you do the same as some roads are terrible. If you have any questions write me [email protected]
Mar 5th, 2005, 01:10 PM

Actually, with 2 weeks you might want to add another place as well.
Mar 5th, 2005, 05:23 PM

I agree with RufusFirefly that you might enjoy another spot for a couple of night in addition to the ones you have chosen.

You might consider 2-3 nights in and around San Jose (preferably around) exploring the sights and wonders of the central valley. There are so many wonderful day trips available in this area--Vulcan Poas, La Paz Waterfall Gardens, Vulcan Irazu/Orosi Valley, Rio Sarapiqui, Braulio Carillo Parque Nacional to name a few.
Arenal, Poas, and Irazu are all distinctly different. You could do the end of your trip or at the beginning.

Arenal--Monteverde--Manuel Antonio--Central Valley

IMHO, anything longer than 3 nights is a bit too long at Arenal (haven't been to Monteverde, but I suspect I'd feel the same about it). And 4-5 nights is a decent amount of time at MA. That would leave 3-4 nights/days.
Mar 5th, 2005, 05:43 PM

We just got back from a trip to the same three places and did it in 10 days. We did not feel rushed at all. We got in early enough to San Jose on our first day and were able to get to Arenal the same day. We did 3 nights Arenal, 2 nights Monteverde, 3 nights MA and one night in San Jose.