Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   MA hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/ma-hotels-712329/)

looknsee Jun 11th, 2007 03:27 PM

MA hotels

Looking for quiet, ambience, A/C maybe. I understand the Hotel Parador is a short stroll to the beach & has beautiful gardens. Feedback? Is 6 days too long for MA?

Pat_Hewitt Jun 11th, 2007 03:56 PM

Hotel Parador is up on a cliff with great ocean views, but I would not call the hike up and down the steep hill a "short stroll". But the rooms and grounds are nice.

The biggest drawback to this hotel is that it is located way off the beaten track at the end of a bad road. So going to other restaurants and attractions in the area is going to take a little more effort. This might be okay for a short stay, but could get tiresome over six days. Almost all of the other area hotels mentioned in this forum have more convenient locations.

I use this hotel for fishing groups. It is a good choice for them because they usually like a more North American resort atmosphere and amenities. Plus, they are usually being transferred back and forth to the dock every day. So they don't mind the road.

The question of whether six days is too much is up to you. There is a lot to do in this area. The local restaurants are very good and usually reasonably priced. It is fun to explore the different options, especially if you like fresh seafood. Lots of good nature tours too, and there are some very nice beaches.

On the other hand. If this is your first visit, I would give some thought to exploring some of the other areas of this very diverse country.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
(Travel professional)

tully Jun 11th, 2007 05:33 PM

You may want to check out Mango Moon. Haven't stayed there but it gets good reviews and is on the same road as Parador but much closer to the main road. Smaller property than the Parador, I'd say probably more of an "ambience" than Parador.

volcanogirl Jun 11th, 2007 05:38 PM

6 days in MA would have been too long for us, but it depends on your own personal preferences. You can go to the park one day, go sailing, go to the beach. For us, Arenal had a lot more to offer, but we like to have constant activity. If you're just looking to relax, 6 days may be fine for you.

We stayed at Mango Moon, and they advertised having a beach at the base of the property - it took us about 20 minutes to get down there. That might be an option for you. I had a friend who really liked Makanda. A lot of the hotels in the area are built on a steep hill - great for the view, but not always an easy stroll to get to the beach.

shillmac Jun 12th, 2007 06:06 AM

Luis, I think what Tully is referring to is a way you have of disagreeing with other posters. Certainly it is acceptable to disagree. It is not necessary to say to others, "No, that is wrong"--all you have to do is simply offer another viewpoint without saying that the views of others are wrong.

Most of us who post here love Costa Rica also. We don't like the opportunists either. We don't like all the "ugly" condos and out of control development happening in your country. We love Costa Ricans, appreciate their hospitality and warmth. Certainly free speech is a right of every person. Free speech becomes offensive when it seems constantly argumentative, particularly on a board like this one--where everyone should feel free to offer opinions without being ridiculed.

I think that is what many feel you have done, ridicule and put down the opinions of others. For example, when Pat recommended the Parador and you immediately make a comment like, "the Parador! I wouldn't send anyone there"! It was a strong comment, making Pat sound like he didn't have a clue what he was talking about when, in fact, he is very knowledgeable.

Yes, you are Costa Rican. It is your country. But many of us have spent a lot of time traveling all over the place and we like to offer our perspective as well. After all, that is a perspective you don't have: being from another country and traveling to Costa Rica, no Spanish skills, no understanding of the culture, the difficulties in driving here and there, etc.

You make us all feel as if you'd rather the rest of us just quit posting so you can, as a Costa Rican, guide everyone "correctly". I doubt you INTEND to present yourself in that manner, but that is what you are doing. Perhaps just tone it down a bit?

roadadvisor Jun 12th, 2007 06:47 AM

Thank you very much for your kinds words...but with the example you give me about the Travel Agent Pat...about Parador...he may know what he is talking about...and I do respect his opinion...but I totally disagree with it...so according to your words...I just have to close my mounth and let him said what ever he likes...that is not correct...I entitled to express my opinion...and people will judge and make a decision!!

Never in my life crossed my mind to have people stoping posting here...is not the way I am , you are CORRECT!...to me as a costarican...even that some of the post people send here are terrible and funny ...and obviosly are coming from people with very little knowledge or not knowledge at all about my country...what I do is smile and love them...because they take some time to write about my wonderfull country!!

Of course I wish that all the opportunists that are here in Costa Rica and why not a few in the forum will take ther luggage and leave...that is CORRECT!!

Tune done a bit...that is strong paragraph...hard for a costarican to tone down a bit in our own country, whe we are talking about Costa Rica!!

I wish I can said the same to many ugly foreigners here in Costa Rica ...but is a free country they can said what ever they like!!

Thanks God I live in this wonderfull country...in this great democracy...land of freedom...country of dreams.. nobody here tell nobody to tone down...when we are talking about ugly predators...when we are expressing ourselves in the only way we know...in a decent way..

Have a wonderfull day...

100% costarican and proud of it!!

bamababe Jun 12th, 2007 08:32 AM

We just got home Sat and we stayed at an apartment down the road that goes to Parador and Mango Moon. Mango Moon is much closer to town.It would be a easy walk. We did the walk everyday sometimes 2-3 times. It is up hill but after a few times not so bad. You should be in fairly good condition or it probably is too much. Our turn was before Parador and I admit we NEVER made it all the way to the hotel. We attempted but we weren't able to see it so we turned back. There is a hotel bus that runs but i don't know how often.
We were there a week with our 3 kids and I was ready to leave after about 5 days.
iagree that it isn't a short stroll to the beach. Once again the road is loose gravel, down hill going and straight up on the way back. Not for the less conditioned person. We were much closer than Parador would be and it took us about 20-25 min down and longer going up .
One other thing about Parador is it is adult only. No kids under 16 allowed even for dinner---we tried! mango Moon no one under 12.

shillmac Jun 12th, 2007 08:33 AM

Sorry, RA, you missed my point. My referral to "toning down" meant in the way you respond to other posters WHEN you are expressing another opinion. You don't have to say, "I wouldn't send ANYONE there"! When you do so, you imply that it is not a good place to stay. I don't know that hotel, and it may NOT be a good place to stay in your opinion. In that case, you should give the original poster valid reasons why the Parador is so undesirable (bad service, dirty rooms, rude front desk staff, etc). Or simply offer another hotel choice (like Buena Vista or Tulemar) and tell why you think that is a better choice. By doing so, you will be helpful to the original poster and respectful of others' opinions at the same time.

Pat_Hewitt Jun 12th, 2007 08:48 AM

Thanks Shillmac for your kind words. I did not see what Luis wrote, I think that maybe Fodor's deleted it?

I was a little surprised that everyone here thought I was writing a recommendation for Parador. I kinda thought I was doing just the opposite. I mentioned the long hike to the beach, the inconvenient location, and the North American feel to the place. I urged that the traveler explore the other choices mentioned in this forum. I was just trying to keep it positive

There is a market for every property, and a hotel choice for every traveler. The challenge is paying close attention to the individual's needs, comfort level, budget, and expectations. Then matching them with the perfect hotel choice.

I use this hotel for fishing groups. These are guys that want North American comfort (American sports in the bar, CNN in the room, etc) and are not interested in staying at a place that puts them in touch with the local culture. For them, a resorty place is just the ticket. It may not have been the perfect choice for these guests.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
(Travel professional)

faithie Jun 12th, 2007 09:10 AM

I believe the Parador does indeed accept children...? Unless they changed this recently.

volcanogirl Jun 12th, 2007 09:15 AM

Luis, when I said "great minds think alike" I was referencing the recommendation about Mango Moon since I had just posted about the same place. I wasn't making any reference to you. I do understand Tully's point though. Of course you're free to express your opinion, but sometimes in e-mail things come across as harsh, and there's a diplomatic way of stating your opinions even if they are different than someone else's. If you say "Some people" or use all uppercase and exclamation points, etc., it comes across as harsh.

tully Jun 12th, 2007 10:20 AM

I see the offending posts were deleted, but not sure why my post was deleted too? All I was doing was reminding Luis of the fodors rules, oh well.

Luis, shillmac nicely & sensibly responded to you, but I do not see that you have taken her points at all. We all may continue to post, of course; but I will also continue to report your posts to the editors when they attack others.

shillmac Jun 12th, 2007 12:56 PM

Pat, yes, I see that you didn't exactly recommend the Parador. Rather, you did exactly what the original poster needed you to do--give helpful information that would help he or she determine if, as you say, the hotel is "right" for them.

Sometimes the Fodor brains are all on the same page, but sometimes not! :)

bamababe Jun 12th, 2007 07:22 PM

Fathie, I was surprised when my husband told me we couldn't eat at Parador due to their policy about children. I checked the Fodors 2006 book I had with me and it did say no one under 16 allowed.

faithie Jun 13th, 2007 05:52 PM

Thats weird because when we were at Biesanz Beach in December we met a family from California staying at the Parador... the girl was 14 and the boy 12. Neither could have passed for 16. Hmmmm..... It's a mystery! I know Makanda does not accept kids..?

faithie Jun 13th, 2007 06:00 PM

Really strange, I think someone "fibbed" to you. They have an adult pool as well as babysitting service... Just trying to figure it out for future posters. I don't particularly want to stay there!