Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Luxury Resorts - Zihuatanejo (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/luxury-resorts-zihuatanejo-237893/)

Betty Jul 9th, 2002 06:04 AM

Luxury Resorts - Zihuatanejo

Can someone give me some feedback on two resorts, namely the La Casa Que Canta and the Hotel Villa del Sol?<BR><BR>Any information on either of these resorts -- vacation experience, value, food, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Also, is it safe to swim in or around these resorts?

bobbi Jul 9th, 2002 11:29 AM

Hey Betty<BR>Try this web site for great info on Zihuat. Someone will be able to help you.<BR><BR>http://www.zihuatanejo.net/wwwboard/

kristen Jul 10th, 2002 11:13 AM

Betty,<BR><BR>My husband and I went to Villa del Sol for our honeymoon in Septmeber 1997. We absolutely loved it. The resort is small but lovely and right on the beach. If you do not care about being on the beach Casa Que Canta is also beautiful. We went their for dinner one night and it was great. If we went back there we would probably try Casa que canta since we have already been to Villa del Sol. We went for 9 days which was too long. Five days would be perfect. The swimming is safe around these resorts.

Kat Jul 10th, 2002 02:32 PM

I've stayed twice at Villa del Sol and thrice at Casa Que Canta. Returning to Casa Que Canta in January for our 30th anniversary.<BR><BR>Villa del Sol is slightly less expensive than Casa Que Canta. The staff is friendly; the food isn't very good and is very expensive. The pools are great. Wonderful beach but lots of hawkers. What I liked best about Villa del Sol was lunching on the beach. What I liked least were the "private outdoor splash pool" in which the water get's much too hot and the odd policing of beach towells.<BR><BR>Casa Que Canta is for lovers of all ages. It's private, lush, full of exquisite art and architectural features. It is unique and very special. The food is excellent. We loved the infinity pool with it's in-pool "couch" seating. The views are magnificent. The hotel overlooks the bay and one can get right down where the waves crash against the rocks but there is no beach although there is saltwater pool in addition to the infinity pool. Service is great. I can't come up with a negative except there comes the day you have to leave.

Kat Jul 10th, 2002 02:34 PM

I neglected to say: from Casa Que Canta, the beach (same beach Villa del Sol shares) is a 5-minute walk down a steep hill (which, of course, must be ascended upon return). Beach is lovely and swimmable. Safe.

cant Jul 26th, 2002 09:21 AM

My husband and I were married at Casa Que Canta in Dec 2001. We stayed at Villa del Sol for four nights, CQC for seven nights. I feel much the same way as Kat -- Villa del Sol is lovely, and being on the beach is a plus. Swimming is no problem in Zihua since you are protected by the bay. VDS is more active, there are more people wandering up from the beach, more activity and noise. Also be aware that they are currently building more rooms as VDS (construction should be complete by December but who knows). If you're going down before then, be sure to ask for rooms away from the construction --because of the heat, work starts early in the morning. Lunch on the beach at VDS is not to be missed. The breakfast buffet and the lunch menu are fine at VDS, but dinner is definitely overpriced for what you're getting. Casa Que Canta is much more private, more luxurious, and quieter than VDS. Outside guests are not even allowed into CQC until 6pm, which is not the case at VDS. After staying at VDS I was worried about moving to CQC because I thought I'd miss being on the beach -- but I was wrong. The infinity pool and saltwater pool at CQC are unbelievable. The rooms at CQC are definitely more unique and beautiful than VDS, although the VDS rooms are also very nice -- you would not be disappointed. <BR><BR>A tough decision but one you'll enjoy making! Good luck!