Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Luxurious Lodging in the Bay Islands? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/luxurious-lodging-in-the-bay-islands-441765/)

alibi13 Jun 12th, 2004 01:09 AM

Luxurious Lodging in the Bay Islands?

So I'm going on my honeymoon to Honduras. We're gonna spend a week at Pico Bonito Lodge, 3 nights in Copan, and 4 nights in the Bay Islands. The two possibilities there are Posada del Sol on Guanaja and the Mayan Princess Beach Resort on Roatan. Anyone ever been to either of these places? Any other suggestions?

A little about us and what we want: a place with really comfortable, ideally luxurious rooms, so if we stay in all day relaxing we will be very comfortable. We are not divers, but we would probably snorkel and kayak a little, and hike, and we like to eat well. We are not into a bigger resort vibe like Anthony's Keys. (That place might be perfect in a few years when we have kids.) Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks, Jeffrey

kcapuani Jul 5th, 2004 08:57 AM

I am bumping this post because my family and I also need a place to stay on Roatan and are planning to stay at Pico Bonito as well. Pico Bonito recommended the Luna Beach Resort or the Mayan Princess but I was wondering about any other suggestions. From what I have heard, the Honduran standard of luxury is a lot different from American standards...

ara

smartinq Jan 18th, 2005 02:47 PM

Hi Jeffrey-
Hope this is not too late. For a honeymoon I would suggest Posada del Sol. Just returned from Roatan and the beach there at West Bay gets a busload of cruise ship people deposited in front for most of the day. The water gets packed with snorklers. Also, there is an all inclusive resort next to the Mayan Princess that is crowded and has disco music at night. Not what we wanted to overhear. Breakfast at the Mayan was overpriced. Have researched Posada del Sol and plan to go there for more luxury and peace and quiet. Meals are included and seem nice. If you would like Copan info. Let me know.

leahschatz Jan 30th, 2005 01:16 PM

We are considering a destination wedding/honeymoon on roatan. could anyone recommend sites or resources for the wedding and reception. thanks

cmw Jan 30th, 2005 02:06 PM

I too am looking at Honduras for a destination wedding! I will definitely watch this post to read what people have to say.
We think the Luna Beach Resort looks really nice.

Lili_ANN Apr 12th, 2005 02:48 PM

TRY ANTHONY'S KEY RESORT OR PARROT TREE PLANTATION. BOTH OF THEM ARE GORGEOUS!!!

dbarree Sep 2nd, 2005 07:55 PM

I lived in Honduras for two years and went back again recently. Roatan has changed a great deal (not for the better) since 1995. Pico Bonito is new since I lived there. It was very nice but sort of removed from the real Honduras. My biggest complaint there was the food. It was all tailored to American tourists and they did not serve any typically Honduran food. I think the dinner we had there was probably the worst meal we had during our 2 weeks in Honduras last year. Posada del Sol was my favorite place to stay in Honduras but I haven't been back there since it was decimated by Hurricane Mitch. I expect it's fully recovered. As for Roatan I would recommend Island Pearl. It's a few very nice cottages on the beach in West Bay that are operated by a French-Canadian couple. You can check their web site for pictures and information. At Copan I always stay at Hacienda El Jaral. It's not set up for Americans and most of the staff don't speak English and it's not too fancy but it is very pleasant. If you go to San Pedro don't miss Don Udo's Restaurant for the best steak in town. Another pretty spectacular sight is the Pulhapanzak Falls but it's a bit off the beaten path. If you are going to Lake Yojoa it's not far from there though.

EmptyNest Sep 8th, 2005 08:01 PM

I haven't been to Roatan for 15 years and I'm saddened to hear the description of West Bay.

When we were there there wasn't a luxury resort and there was nothing on the west end. We stayed in Foster's bungalows without hot water and sketchy plumbing and found fish dinners on the beach. Five days on West bay snorkling and we saw folks from Anthony's (which at the time was pretty much a dive outfit) a total of two hours. Six of us had that reef to ourselves except for the turtles and fish.

I hope the tourism is good for the residents of Roatan.

maryinmadison Mar 4th, 2007 06:36 PM

We rented 2 45 ft sailboats from CSY out of Roatan in 1983. (Bareboats, thanks to older college friend who'd been in the Coast Guard and had sailing resume, along with friend of his who manned the other boat) In 2 weeks of sailing we saw a total about 3 other sailboats- went all over the Bay Islands. We were usually the only boat in the coves we anchored in at night. At the time (1980s)Honduras wasn't considered safe to travel, which I guess is why CSY went out of business not long after. It was the most amazing trip (and very inexpensive). I don't think I realized how special it was at the time. The snorkeling was so beautiful. It was the first time I'd ever seen a coral reef. The reefs were completely unspoiled. Later trips to the vigin islands were so disappointing in that regard.