Los Roques?

Dec 19th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Original Poster
Los Roques?

Hi all - i've been looking at a trip to los roques in venny. Are there any thoughts on the place? Appropriate for young kids - or do i leave them with the grandparents?

What does one do there? Dive - lay on the beach...?looks like a sand bar in the middle of crystaline waters -

Thank you.
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:16 PM
My husband, son and father in law were down there fishing about 3 years ago. They have traveled all over South America and have even lived there. They have never gotten as sick as they did when at Los Roques. The New York Times travel section had a very good report on it this past weekend.
Sep 12th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Yes - it is a beautful island in the middle of crystaline water - with thousands of beer cans and soda bottles washing up on shore. It's too bad, because the place could be a paradise, but the locals just are not inclined to pick up the trash - which seems to be everywhere.
Los Roques is actually a large chain of islands - the largest of which is where the airport is located. That is the island with all of the mess - use this island as your jumping off point for scuba, snorkling, fishing, on the rest of the other smaller islands - which are beautiful and pristine. It's the kind of place you can do in one day from Caracas or Margarita - just make sure you are not on the last flight out as the service can be spotty.
If you can, arrange a full tour when you get to VZ, and ask what the rate is in American $$ - you usually can get a 5K to 1 conversion rate this way.

Search this Thread