Los Glaciares National Park Weather

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Argentina in late February-early March and will spend 3-4 days in the glacier area. Does anyone know what the usual high and low temperatures are at that time?
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 04:17 AM

I was in Los Glaciares National Park in late february and the temperature was ok, like 18? C - 20? C, but if u take the boat to see the glaciar closer prepare urself to use winter clothes...
any other info, just send me an e-mail ([email protected])
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Hello Cadu,

Thanks for your response. I have a whole bunch of questions which might be helpful to others so I will post them here, but if you rather respond one-on-one, my addr3ess is [email protected].
Which boat trip did you take?
For how long were you there?
Where did you stay?
What other activities did you do?
Was the experience as wonderful as you expected?
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:06 AM

You can find the average temperature, percipitation, etc from weather.com
Just use Lago Argentino, or El Calafate, as the city. I was there in late November and the temperatures were around 50 F. Winds were high, 20-40 mph. So it felt like 30 F at times.

Where exactly are you going? El Calafate or Chalten? I stayed in Calafate for a few days and Chalten for a few days as well. In Calafate, I stayed at El Quijote Hotel (pretty nice place, about $100 USD per night). It's very hard to find hotels during the high season. Everything is booked, I would recommend you book several months in advance.

There are many many tour companies. They all sell the same boat tours. What do you want to do? I took a tour to see Perito Moreno and an all day 3 glacier boat tour.

You can see some of my photos here:

http://www.cisl.columbia.edu/grads/schan/Argentina/
Old May 4th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

We are thinking about staying at Los Notros even though it is so very expensive.

How do you find historical info at weather.com? Sometimes the weather histories just give air temp and don't factor in the wind.

We are planning on doing the Perito Moreno and the 3-glacier tour also. What else did you do in the area?

I will look at your website later as I have to get to an appointment now
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

I couldn't wait till tonight to see your photos. They are wonderful. I am really looking forward to being there. We are just going to BA, Iguazu and Glaciers Nat'l Park. What was your itinerary and how many days at each?
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:19 AM

My wife and I spent 3 nights in BA, and then flew down to Calafate, and spent 2 nights there. We did a half day tour of Perioto Moreno glacier the afternoon we arrived from BA. The next day, we did a full day tour of the 3 glaciers. We then spent another 2 nights in the Chalten/Fitz Roy area, doing day hikes. Finally flew back to BA and spent the night there, before flying out to Iguazu the next morning. We spent 2 nights in Iguazu. So, it was a very tight schedule. If you have more days, the better. Other things we would have like to do is visit an Estancia (sheep ranch). It looked pretty cool.

You're right, weather.com only gives you monthly average temperatures. Expect the wind to be 20-40 mph. Some sort of wind proof jacket (e.g. goretex) is a requirement I think. My wife had a down jacket and I just used a goretex jacket with a fleece. Bring thermal underwear too. The all day boat tour is pretty comfortable.

For Iguazu, I would recommend staying at the Sheraton, even though it's expensive. We stayed in Puerto Igauzu (cheaper), but it was more of a pain to get to and from the falls (about 45 minutes by bus). The city does not appear to be all that safe - it was the only place where I didn't want to leave the hotel at night.

You're going to have a great time. We really love everything. The food... wow, incredible. Very cheap and delicious food, everywhere. Great shopping in BA too.
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

We have two weeks to do the same itinerary as yours, and we are skipping the el Chaten area. As of now, we spend 2 1/2 days in BA at the start and end of the trip, 4 nights in Glaciers and 4 in Iguazu. Hopefully, we will get a chance to explore the area leisurely.

We do plan on staying at the Sheraton and will make reservations as soon as we tighten up some loose ends. Did you go to the Brazilian side of the falls and if so what was the visa situation?

The winds are supposed to calm down a little in March, but we will be prepared. Thanks for the warning.

I could tell from your photos that your wife does like to shop...expecially for handbags and shoes.