Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Los Cabos - Casa Dorada (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/los-cabos-casa-dorada-804083/)

lindamcnc Sep 1st, 2009 10:01 AM

Los Cabos - Casa Dorada

Planning a trip with my adult family for Dec. 6-13 in 2-bedroom unit at Casa Dorada. Has anyone stayed there or have information to share? Want to be close to town to walk, but want top-notch resort. Any information will be helpful.

qwovadis Sep 1st, 2009 01:35 PM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Cabos-Cabo_San

Nice not the top resort in the area

www.mexico.bookit.com tonnes of sales options

Dreams www.riu.com better resorts.

lindamcnc Sep 2nd, 2009 09:30 AM

Thanks. I found the reviews on tripadvisor to be mixed, but more good than bad. Dreams is so far away from the town. My daughter and her husband like to be very close to the restaurants and bars (no driving). Any other suggestions? and thanks!

suze Sep 2nd, 2009 10:00 AM

I've only seen Casa Dorado from the outside but it's a great location on Medano Beach, about a 15 mins. walk into downtown Cabo for shopping, bars, restaurants.

As far as other suggestions this resorts looks very interesting to me: www.clubcascadasdebaja.com

v_gee Sep 2nd, 2009 10:41 AM

I've stayed at the Dorada, so I tend to disagree with qwovadis... I think it is the top resort in the area. Riu is a good option when looking for all inclusive, but for non-all-inclusive, definitely this property. My family just loved it: the rooms are spacious and service is great. I was uncertain due to all the comments on the time-share hawks, but once telling them I was not interested (and I was very clear, if you know what I mean), they left me alone.

The town is a 10/15 min walk and its right on Medano Beach, with its restaurants and Mexican vibe. Very convenient.

When going back to Cabo, this hotel is top on my list, definitely. Oh! be sure to know Paco the pool concierge... great guy and takes good care of you!

lindamcnc Sep 17th, 2009 11:15 AM

Thanks to all for the comments. We are getting a good deal, so we will be at the Casa Dorada....it's always a "crap shoot" when you haven't been somewhere, but I think this is a good choice and your comments helped.

Do we take a cab from the airport? We are not renting a car. We don't like the hassle.

If anyone wants info on Aruba, let me know.

MichelleY Sep 17th, 2009 08:43 PM

Linda: Check the travel forum on Tripadvisor for more Cabo advice. Much more active than here.

We have used Cape Travel for transport, but the last few times we have rented a car.

MY

sauce33 Sep 30th, 2009 09:48 AM

is dining expensive in that area? I am looking to use my timeshare at casa dorada in november but there is no all inclusive package available. can you tell me what the pricing is around? or if there are any markets around that we can stock the fridge up with so that we can keep the dining costs down? thanks.

MichelleY Sep 30th, 2009 01:28 PM

Finer dining is expensive and the main tourist places I think are over priced. But reasonable meals can be had at the smaller, mom & pop places. We have never wanted to do all inclusive in Cabo because there are tons of good places to eat. What we do to save $$ is stock up at Soriana's, or other super market/drug store places. There is also a Costco and City Club in Cabo San Lucas. We get breakfast/snack items to eat in the condo. We usually only done one daily meal out; either lunch or dinner.

Your condo should give you info on the closest grocery market.

suze Sep 30th, 2009 06:30 PM

sauce33~ I did a long post about restaurants in Cabo back in February with prices included. I'll pull it up for you.

lindamcnc~ I used TransCabo booked thru www.cabosanlucastours.net. It's about $15 per person each way from the airport to town. Taxis run about $80 (it's 29 miles and about 45 mins. drive).