Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Los Altos de Eros in Tamarindo (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/los-altos-de-eros-in-tamarindo-678302/)

lutherkins Feb 9th, 2007 12:21 PM

Los Altos de Eros in Tamarindo

Has anyone stayed at Los Altos De Eros? I heard someone raving about this place and was wondering other's opinions. Is it worth the money to stay there? How close is it to the beach. I wasn't necessarily thinking about visiting Tamarindo, but after reading a review on this, I don't want to call it a hotel, I started reconsidering. Especially since we'll be traveling in July/August and this is probably one of the driest areas of the country.
thanks

trvlfrwrk Feb 9th, 2007 05:12 PM

If you like a communal vacation experience with people you've never met before, Go For It!

lutherkins Feb 9th, 2007 06:15 PM

Does it have like a bed and breakfast feel? Aren't a lot of places on the Osa Penninsula like that too?

trvlfrwrk Feb 10th, 2007 04:49 AM

Definitely more of a bed & breakfast. The rooms are all in one house and not very private as they all open up to the shared pool. Located 25 min. away from Tamarindo. They all shuttle together for meals in town, etc. Definitely a communal experience. Good for some, not for others.

Bosque Del Cabo, on the Osa, has separate, individual bungalows. There are many different types of accommodations in Costa Rica. You just have to find what suits your interests. If you give more detailed info on what you are looking for, many on this board can give recommendations.

capecodgal Feb 10th, 2007 06:44 AM

lutherkins- my sister and I will be in CR for two weeks in august. I also saw Los Altos De Eros in my research and was 'wowed' by it. We can't afford to spend the night but we are going to do a 'spa day' there. Pretty reasonable for what they are offering AND we get to spend the day there. Best of both worlds I figure.

Jaisy Mar 5th, 2007 12:05 PM

I totally disagree with the comments from Trvlfrwrk. I was just at Los Altos de Eros and it is more of an Inn then a B&B. Rooms are indeed around the pool, but there is no lack of space or privacy. We were the only couple that was not honeymooners and I can assure you that honeymooners are not searching for a communal experience! See my trip report posted seperately. Also see the many, many positive comments on tripadvisor. This place is fantastic. Don't be mislead by this one reviewer. Yes, they do shuttle you into Tamarindo (for free) for dinner as a group. But then people are dropped off at the restaurant of their choice. I have had the opportunity to stay at wonderful hotels all over U.S., Europe and the Caribbean and this has been the closest thing to perfection I have found to date

trvlfrwrk Mar 5th, 2007 01:32 PM

Please take your advertising elsewhere! The tripadvisor reviews are fake and any person with half a brain can read right through them! The only ones worth paying attention to are the negative ones which at least have some sense of reality. Thanks for the tip though! I had fun reading the insane owners responses and am now convinced they have been posting the reviews themselves!

Jaisy Mar 6th, 2007 04:31 PM

trvlfrwrk, have you been to Los Altos??? On what do you base your comments? I just returned and my motivation was to give people an honest opinion based on my experience. Not allowing them to be swayed by unjustified negative remarks. Regarding the 'fake' reviews on tripadvisor, every single person I met at the Inn during my week long stay was there based on the reviews on Tripadvisor and not one of them was disappointed. Further, I have traveled all over the Caribbean, Europe and the U.S. based on the advise from travelers on Traveladvisor and I have yet to find their opinions to be completely off the mark. Yes, you need to read the positive and the negative. But if you see 60 positive and 1 negative you have to question the veracity of the negative comment. Thus, a considerate person would have to question your comments here, as well as your motives.

trvlfrwrk Mar 7th, 2007 05:10 AM

Yes, I have been there and I find it quite odd that someone not associated with the hotel gets so upset when people do not completely agree with their experience. All I said was that it was good for some not for others. I don't like people around me all of the time. This place, although they are very nice, is for people that like to visit with other travelers during their vacation. I personally hate this. Some honeymooners have and will find this lack of privacy bothersome. Others will like the staff and other vacationers around all the time. If one reads the reviews on tripadvisor it is very easy to see that they were written by someone connected to the hotel. Travelers vary and that many people wouldn't write the same way and spend so much time and effort writing as though they were writing for
a travel magazine. All people just don't write like that. Even when they've had a great vacation. Unless there is something in the punch and they're all "followers" now. Some people don't love this place. Get over it.

Jaisy Mar 7th, 2007 01:35 PM

I can see how Los Eros would not be right for you...clearly, you do not make friends easilly. I'm glad we were there at different times.

trvlfrwrk Mar 7th, 2007 03:12 PM

EXACTLY my point. I did not go on vacation to make friends. For me, I want vacation with PRIVACY with my wife. This was simply my point from the beginning.

drdawggy Apr 14th, 2007 05:14 AM

Here is a good way to check the veracity of Trip Advisor reviews--use the TA message service to email reviewers and ask to speak directly with the person who posted the review. TA tries to eliminate self promoting posts, but some may slip through. FWIW, it is not obvious to me that the owners are spamming....