Looking for suggestions for Mexico beach vacation

Dec 10th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Looking for suggestions for Mexico beach vacation

We are planning to go to mexico in end of March 2015 for 5 nights- 6 days. I am looking for suggestions for not too crowded, secluded type beach vacations. Open to any place. We prefer a beachfront house/villa with Chef/maid service. All-inclusive resorts are also an option as long as they offer private villas. We do not prefer to stay in big rise buildings. Any suggestions?? Thank you in advance.
Dec 10th, 2014, 09:23 AM

Tulum, Akumal, Playa del Carmen are areas you could look at. Sorry don't know specifically about private villas. But beaches are the best on that eastern side, since you're on the Caribbean.
Dec 10th, 2014, 12:21 PM

I agree with Akumal or Tulum, take a look at the lodging tab on locogringo.com, was at a condo on Half Moon Bay in north Akumal for 8 nights this past May. They live down there should you run into any problems. Plenty of villas and condos for rent in that area.
Dec 10th, 2014, 05:55 PM

Your criteria of, "I am looking for suggestions for not too crowded, secluded type beach vacations.", are in direct contradiction with the rest of what you write.

To achieve truly not crowded and secluded, you need to be a 'venturer' or 'near venturer' in terms of your travel profile as defined by Stanley Plog's model. When you write that all-inclusive resorts are acceptable you indicate that you are at least a 'centric' if not a 'near-dependable' type traveller. Beyond those are the 'dependables' like suze above.

I first visited Tulum and Akumal some 30 years ago when there was one hotel on the beach at Akumal (there was nothing else, no village, no shops, no phones, no tv service, etc.) Tulum was reached down a rough and overgrown dirt trail which could not be called a road by any stretch of the imagination.

That was truly 'un-crowded and secluded'. Now you see jamie99 referring to 'north Ukumal' which should tell you all you need to know about how far it has gone along the development curve.

So when you write that you want uncrowded and secluded, I have to ask if you truly mean what you say in which case, nowhere you have heard of already will fit the bill and none of the suggestions above will either. I suspect that you are in fact far from a 'venturer' type of traveller and more a 'centric' at least. So forget truly uncrowded and secluded and accept that that you don't 'venture' far enough off the beaten path for that.

Even so, there are some lesser known places you could look at that although somewhat 'touristy' are not frequented by the crowds that places like Akumal and Tulum now attract. In that area for example you could try Ilsa Holbox (pronounced Hol-bosh). You get there by ferry from Cancun. Check the bungalow at the Hotel La Palapa to see if it suits your needs. http://www.hotellapalapa.com/gallery.html#!prettyPhoto[photo]/12/

Other less well known locations do exist all around Mexico but you have to do a bit of research to find them. Try being a bit more 'venturesome' in your travels and leave the tourist hordes behind.
Dec 10th, 2014, 05:58 PM

Here is an explanation of Plog's model from which you can decide what kind of profile fits you.
http://tourismintelligence.ca/2006/1...on-in-decline/
Dec 10th, 2014, 07:24 PM

Holy Smokes... talk about being overly harsh and judgemental on this poor Hanover person. Not to mention this Stanley Plogs model crappola. I hope that the censors delete your comments along with mine for repremending you on this silliness. These blog sites are meant to help, enlighten, encourage and empower people just like Hanover as to make decisions based on experienced travellers who have been down the beaten path. Were not all explorers, some people actually want a little R and R without having to break trails with machettes and fight off the hoards of bugs. I to have been coming to this region for a very long time, but I dont take it out on every firstimer looking for a hotel. And by the way, mister smarty pants, it's pronouced Olbosh and not Hol-bosh, in Spanish, you don't pronouce the H, it is silent as in Hola pronouced Ola... you won't find that in Plogs study !!!
Dec 11th, 2014, 04:31 AM

hey hanover have you considered going to Cancun? March can be a fairly good season to go there.
Dec 11th, 2014, 05:03 AM
RAC

locogringo is a good source for villa rentals. If a place doesn't come with the services you want, you can find those services from outside vendors.

Half Moon Bay in Akumal is a lot more quiet than the main Playa Akumal--no public access so only the rental places on the beach have access.
Dec 11th, 2014, 08:01 AM

What's your problem Robelio. The OP asked for uncrowded and secluded which do not go with the rest of the comments. That's all I wrote. I see nothing 'harsh or judgemental' in what I wrote.

This is not a 'blog' by the way and if you don't think explaining the various types of travellers is helping or enlightening I think you need to look up the meaning of the words. I am an experienced traveller who has been down the unbeaten path. I'll guess you have been down the more common beaten path and resent those who have 'ventured' a bit farther off that beaten path than you yourself have.

As for 'hol-bosh' have you been there? How do you know how locals pronounce the name if you have not? I can assure you that it is pronounced holebosh by everyone on the island. I spent 2 months there a few winters back. Save your childish 'mister smarty pants' comment for kids who have to listen to you.
http://www.spanishdict.com/answers/1...town-of-holbox

http://www.travelyucatan.com/isla_holbox_mexico.php

http://www.holboxisland.com/

The OP indicated an interest in uncrowded and secluded. I explained how that does not go with 'all-inclusive' or well known destinations and then gave a suggestion of what is actually an uncrowded and secluded destination that still offers enough amenities to perhaps suit their more centric experience level while perhaps exposing them to a bit more than their current experience level has. I consider that to be helpful Rohelio, while you have written is of no use to anyone.
Dec 11th, 2014, 08:50 AM

There is only so "secluded" an All-Inclusive resort can be, even if offering private villas. So yes there are some contradictions in the original request, they'll just need to prioritize what they're after. In their post high-rises are the only absolute 'no' stated.

(soujourntraveler gives this same kind of snooty lecture to pretty much everyone. no one is as 'ventursome' as he is.)
Dec 11th, 2014, 12:27 PM

Sjt does not travel at all and never has. It is all made up.

He is a shorts with sandals kind of guy.
Dec 12th, 2014, 05:07 AM

Need I say more !!!. I do apologise however for distracting the issue and Yes, I do believe that you would be well served in Akumal or in Puerto Aventuras for that matter. Both destinations are approx. 15 to 25 minutes south of Playa. We once owned a condo in PA which is a gated community with easy access especially if you are a pedestrian. There are 4 hotels on the beach and many more attractions in the immediate area such as golf (9holes)restaurants, dolfins, bicycling, tennis etc. Back to Akumal, there is a video cam set up right on the beach in Halfmoon bay which you can check out anytime to get an idea. I believe that you can find (with a little research)what you seek in and around these two areas. Mind you, you are but a 20 minute or so ride to Playa by colectivo so when you need a taste for action, it's as easy as waiting by the side of the road (307) to get picked up by a colectivo. He will flash his lites and if you wave back , he will stop, get in and pay only when you get off in center town Playa on Calle 2 and Ave.20 To get back, drop by calle 2 again and mention where you are headed. The cost is about 50 pesos ea. they are very honest and have lots of change, you can tip if you wish but it is not obligated. It can be a bit of a challenge to find something that is recluse in the Riviera Maya corridor. unless you would be willing to head down to Majahual (4hrs) or Holbox (3 hrs). My guess is you want civilization and relaxation... and there is plenty of that !
Dec 12th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much to all of you. I am sorry I did not mean to start any arguments or conflicts on here. Just wanted some suggestions based on your experiences. I really appreciate your input. I am looking through Locogringo. It is a good resource. That's what I was hoping to find on here. Thanks again.
Dec 12th, 2014, 10:47 AM

No need to apologize Hanover, you are exactly the type of person that keeps these sites alive and well. Without you, we would be unable to share and comment on such a beautiful pass time, travelling.
God bless
Dec 12th, 2014, 12:24 PM

Have a nice trip Hanoever and let us know where you do decide to stay.
Dec 12th, 2014, 01:24 PM

Hanover, NOT your fault. Please don't apologize.

There are some posters (very few fortunately) who argue and put everyone else down every time they participate.

Locogringo is the most often recommended website to get to know "that side". I hope you find something just right for you.
Dec 12th, 2014, 06:57 PM

We just got back from a couple of weeks in Akumal & haven't had time to post yet. Loved, loved the area. The beaches are beautiful & it was never crowded except for Akumal beach when all the tours came in which was daily. Go there early. We rented a house through VRBO right on Half Moon Bay just down from La Buena Vida restaurant which is a must on your list. Another beautiful beach is Xpu Ha. We visited Tuluum & Coba Ruins, spent a day at Xel Ha & loved every day. Can't wait to go back. It's a very safe area I might add. Enjoy!
Dec 13th, 2014, 05:35 AM

Your kind of post Idahospud, is revealing...it is what its all about. You bring back the joy and need to travel and go back. we are leaving at the end of Jan and coming back on the April 7th
It is always exciting to hear about the area. I hear good things about VRBO also. I would like to add that few people talk about safety anymore, we have grown accustom to a destination that is recognized as being safe throughout , and now take it almost for granted. I am glad to see that you also, have felt the calmness and peace that is reflected in the Yucatan. Thanks for your comments.
My girlfriend and I are counting the days...
Dec 14th, 2014, 03:53 PM

Hi Hanover, We have been renting villas in Mexico with two or three other families for seven of the last ten years (mixed in with Hawaii, Turks & Caicos and a ranch in AZ - we all prefer Mexico because of weather, accessibility and quality of the staff at the villas).

We have such a large group with varied standards/taste/interests that we always have to compromise. We usually go in the Puerta Vallarta area because the travel is super easy during holiday time (less than 3 hours nonstop from LA), but some of us prefer the Yucatán. We have found that having a great house is first and foremost because you do spend most of your time there. My favorite places have been Tulum and Sayulita, although those were not our best houses. I also HIGHLY recommend Puerto Escondido (near Oaxaca), which I still consider my favorite Mexican beach, but haven't been there for a while. You might also consider Todos Santos south of Cabo, much closer to home and a great little town.

Here is where we've rented villas through VRBO:
Puerto Vallarta (2x) - Conchas Chinas area - feels secluded but you can walk into town, which is actually a fairly large city with a huge highrise hotel zone. Easy to get to and lots of good day trips, but doesn't really feel secluded - wouldn't be my first choice unless you get an absolutely killer villa (which we did both times)
Punta del Burro - north of PV, just south of Punta Mita (definitely secluded, but easy drive to to Punta Mita or Bucerias, a cool town)
Sayulita - my fave location of our destinations on the Pacific, cute lowrise surf town with eco-expats/Europeans, but also an authentic Mexican vibe
Punta del Mita - too resorty for me, upscale gated golf community, but some love it here
Tulum (2x) - Headed back this year, beach Nirvana, still has off the grid alt vibe

Let me know the size of your group. If it's large, I can recommend some of the houses we rented. We got some through agencies, but all were also listed on VRBO or Homeaway. Have fun planning - you will love your trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO