Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Looking for Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/looking-for-riviera-maya-all-inclusive-help-1039284/)

rosebud Mar 4th, 2015 10:23 AM

Looking for Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Help

We are a family of mom and dad (early 50s), 23 year old son and 18 year old son. At the end of May, we would love to take the family to an all-inclusive that's safe, has great pools, other water sports, spa and good food (subjective, I know)). We're not big party people or big drinkers (although a good mojito or margarita is certainly appreciated). So many resorts look like they're wild and crazy with parties or they're set up purely for romance...I guess we're looking for something that's family-friendly but not necessarily with tons of little kids running around.

I'm getting myself so confused reading all of the reviews on TripAdvisor, Expedia and here. Some love Iberostar; others can't stand it. Same with Riu (we've been looking at Riu Palace -- a friend of ours loved it). We stayed at Grand Velas in Puerto Vallarta years ago and were spoiled rotten. Don't think we can afford that for four adults though since we're also paying for airfare.

Also, do all of these all-inclusive resorts have water purification systems? I worry about ice cubes, etc. I guess I'm not looking for the Mexican experience in that regard!

Any ideas for us? I appreciate any thoughts or perspective you can offer.

suze Mar 4th, 2015 10:56 AM

<I worry about ice cubes, etc. I guess I'm not looking for the Mexican experience in that regard!>

That's an out-of-date worry. Ice at resorts in Mexico is OK. They either have their own purification system &/or buy ice from the purification/ice plant (you can tell my the shape).

Sorry can't help with AI resorts, I stay at regular hotels.

rosebud Mar 4th, 2015 11:06 AM

Thanks, Suze, for the reassurance about ice! :)

jamie99 Mar 4th, 2015 11:26 AM

Only stayed AI once, at Akumal Beach Resort in Akumal, good snorkeling from right off the beach with turtles, rays, fish, etc. This hotel just went through a major remodel and expansion, has added new a la cartes and pools. I like the area you might take a look at that place.
Otherwise I mostly stay non-AI hotels or condos (no you do not have to cook). But will echo what suze said about the ice, no worries in that regard and I've eaten all over the area.

justineparis Mar 8th, 2015 11:49 PM

Hi.. we have taken our kids twice.. last November and the novemeber before.. We are a blended family with kids ranging in age from 9 to 25.. lol

We left the 9 yr old home with his mom for the last trip as he had just returned from Belize with his mom and couldn't miss anymore school.. but be took 4 kids from 17-25 .

We stayed at the Grand Bahia Akumal in 2013, and we all loved it and had a blast.. then last November we stayed at the Grand Pallidium Kantenah.. and had a double blast. I would return to either again in a heartbeat ( actually we are in two months ,, but no kids this time .. going back to the Grand Bahia as it was a little quieter )

Neither resort is "Spring Breakers gone wild" and neither are quiet and boring.

One nice thing we liked about the Grand Palladium is they give you unlimited a la cartes and you do not need reservations.. just show up.. it will mean you may have to wait for a table, but they give you a beeper so you can just sit in lovely lobby and have a drink etc while you wait.

Both resorts have lovely pools, the Pallidium also had mini golf ..

I honestly think you couldn't go wrong either.. just pick one with best price for your dates.

Our kids felt the Pallidium as a little more fun .. because it was bigger and they could escape us more easily.. lol.. these resorts are large.

The beaches are nice.. the food is decent at both .. and we enjoyed the rooms equally in both .

schmerl Mar 9th, 2015 10:06 AM

The Grand Velas is top notch, but as you say VERY expensive.
Look into the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo or Maya. They are sister resorts on a beautiful beach. Great service and ala carte dinners every night with a concierge to make your dinner reservations for you. Lots of activities if you are so inclined, or you can just relax and enjoy yourself.
Yes, it is a family resort, but at the time you are going most children will be in school.