Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Looking for nontouristy, uncrowded beach with nice resort

Notices

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 10:22 AM
fran

Does such a place exist in Mexico? All the hotel websites I look at show properties with hundreds of rooms. I like smaller hotels/resorts, with nice rooms, on a beautiful beach. Is there any Mexican beach resort that would fit this bill? (I usually go to the Caribbean and there I like islands that are not overly developed).

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Joyce

If it is adults only you might want to look at El Dorado Resort and Spa or El Dorado Royale.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 10:44 AM
fran

Joyce, where are these places?

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Joyce

El Dorado Royale is 30 minutes south of the Cancun Mexico Airport, near Puerto Morales, El Dorado Resort and Spa is about an hour South of Cancun Airport, near Tulum.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 05:42 PM
dan

Villa Montaña: www.choice1.com/villamontana.htm

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Peggy

On the West coast look at: Hotel Costa Careyes & Tamarindo, both north of Manzanillo. Or Hotel Villa del Sol & Casa que Canta in Zihuatenejo. Las Alamandas & Hotelito Desconocido south of PV. Look at www.differentworld.com for hotels like you are describing.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Louie

Try this site for info.
http://mytravelboard2.com/playa/index.html

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Robert

You might want to consider Isla Holbox off the nothern shore of the Yucatan. As of now, not very developed but go soon--before it looks like Cancun or Playa del Carmen!
Do a web search and you will find them. Not easy to get to but worth the trouble.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 06:05 AM
Carole G

try the Caribbean side of Mexico
http://CasaTropical.com for info, pictures and links

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 07:27 AM
chris

it does exist, i just got back, check out my trip report for cozumel/playa azul

playa azul hotel, small (60 rooms) awesome beach right there, great snorkling right there, food is good - not great, but there are plenty of rest in town that will solve that
they have classical music playing in the am for breakfast, sundays is the only crowded day on the beach ( the owner allows the staff familieis to come to the beach for the day)
clean rooms, some with jacuzzi on balacony, quiet quiet quiet - dont go there to party,

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Don and Brenda

We would not recommend the El Dorado Resort and Spa. Just returned Feb 26. Although the snorkelling off the pier, may be fine, but the beach is very rough and corally. There are a lot of problems to be worked out at this property (including security, food quality and availability of services--eg no bicycles, pedal boats that sink due to holes). Check out the posts at:

http://www.mayanriviera.com/forums.cfm//Forum_ID/51933911/Thread_ID/72592292/STARTROW/1

Beware of any online opinions and reviews of the EDR&SP prior to Feb 2002--the hotel has declined. Hopefully they will rectify the problems and return to their former 4 star status.

Here's a site we came across that might help in your hotel search:

http://www.ramproductions.com/survey/showall1.asp?title=OVERALL+RESORT+RATINGS+-+All+RESORTS

Good luck!

Don and Brenda

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Linda

Casa Turquesa Hotel in Cancun. I know you're Cancun is a tourist trap but this is one of the premiere small boutique hotels with the prettiest beach and water. It is upscale and the service and facilities are top notch.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Angel

Hi there, I just read the post about the el dorado resort and spa and it didn't sound good, but what about the El Dorado Royale it sounds great and it's a 5 star hotel. Please if anyone thinks this is a great place to go please let me know, I only have 6 weeks to plan this vacation. Thank you so much!

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:50 AM
favorite hotels

Club El Moro in La Paz on the Baja peninsula, Mexico. Everything you describe, except the most beautiful beaches are not right at the hotel but rather a short drive north or south from La Paz. www.clubelmoro.com

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Monica

We recently returned from Huatulco, which lies south of Ixtapa and even further south of Acapulco. They have been trying to develop this area more, but even the resort area has maintained its charm. Among the larger resorts, there exists many small hotels as well. For more info, try this website: www.tomzap.com, I've posted a trip report there myself. Monica

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Monica

Fran: Forgot to mention that Huatulco is a 7-hr. drive from the main city of Oaxaca.

Monica

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Jason

Although I have never been, you may look into the MAROMA resort located near Playa del Carmen/Mayan Riveria. It might be what you are looking for.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Angel

Has anyone been to the Aventura Palace? We're going the first week of May for my boyfriend's birthday. He's really excited since we've been reading up on it. The pictures look great. Do you know of any other web sites I could go to get real pics. of real people on their vacation there?