Notices

Looking for Info About Playa Del Carmen

Old Feb 11th, 1998, 03:38 PM
Jim Stakaitis

Looking for Info About Playa Del Carmen

Headed for Playa Del Carmen 1st week in March. What is cost of cabfare from Cancun airport to Playa? Staying at Porto Real Resort--heard anything about it, good or bad? What is weather normally like? Any El Nino effects? Can we rent car in Playa (if necessary around there), for a few days, or would you recommend doing that at airport? Any
info appreciated!!

Old Feb 12th, 1998, 08:24 AM
Doug

If you don't have transportation to and from the airport it might be a good idea to contact Avis, Hertz, Dollar or one of the chain rental car companies and rent a car before you leave, I understand that this is much cheaper than renting a car at the airport without a reservation. The cab ride is expensive, it would cost you about one days car rental each way. The weather in Playa will be great in march, it is usually sunny and about 90. El Nino is supposed to make it drier than usual according to what I read.

Old Feb 17th, 1998, 04:31 PM
jim stak

just checking--anyone heard any info about fares from Cancun airport to Playa del Carmen?

Old Feb 18th, 1998, 01:53 PM
Doug

I looked in a tourist book that I received when I was there in January 98, it says 180pesos. This is about $23. Note that the prices are set by the govt and are a flat rate, always ask before you get in the cab.

Old Feb 19th, 1998, 08:48 AM
DeAnne

I am also thinking about Playa del Carmen for June. I was just reading an article in Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel Magazine that said you could get from the airport in Cancun to Playa del Carmen by bus (Playa Express) for $1.75. It apparently leaves from a Cancun bus station. Worth looking into?
I will also be diving while I am there. Any comments/suggestions? I would appreciate any info.
Thanks!

Old Feb 22nd, 1998, 11:40 AM
Linda

Also staying at Porto Real the end of March. Have gotten mixed reviews on the property.

E-mail me with questions. I'll be happy to forward all info.

Old Mar 3rd, 1998, 01:48 PM
Rodney Boles

The original poster is probably already
in PdC, but I wanted to add this for others.
Cab is very expensive from the airport to anywhere.
I think the initial driver we asked was in the
$60US range. I've heard $40 on rec.travel.latin-america.

Yes, the buses are the way to go, BUT you have to get from the airport to the bus station downtown.
DON'T do what I did!!! We took a "bus" from the
airport that eventually got us to downtown, but went
throught hte hotel zone first. Try to find some
way to downtown that is cheap. I would guess that
even a cab to downtown would be in the $25 range.

Old Mar 5th, 1998, 12:51 PM
Borghild Joa

Taaxis to Playa. I have done this several times. The taxi costs 60 dollars from the airport to Playa, you get it at the desk. As other people mentioned, taking the airport bus to downtown Cancun, and then to continue by bus is a terrible idea. But once you are in Playa, you can get a collectivo back for 85 pesos, there is a service on the main drag in Playa, just ask around. Did it 4 weeks ago. Good luck. Playa is wonderful. Good luck from Kat

Old Mar 5th, 1998, 12:52 PM
Borghild Joa

Taaxis to Playa. I have done this several times. The taxi costs 60 dollars from the airport to Playa, you get it at the desk. As other people mentioned, taking the airport bus to downtown Cancun, and then to continue by bus is a terrible idea. But once you are in Playa, you can get a collectivo back for 85 pesos, there is a service on the main drag in Playa, just ask around. Did it 4 weeks ago. Good luck. Playa is wonderful. Good luck from Kat