Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Looking for hotels in Puebla, Xalapa, Veracruz, and Oaxaca

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Mexico in Feb., and are looking for hotels in Puebla, Xalapa, Veracruz, and Oaxaca. We are budget travelers, and would like to find something under $50 US per night with a balcony, terrace, etc.

Has anyone ever stayed at the Howard Johnson in Veracruz? If so, how is it?

Would appreciate any help.
Thanks, Judy
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Pausanias

Try Lonely Planet, both the guide and the web site.

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 08:11 AM

I'm going to echo what Pausanias said - the LP Thorntree is really good for that kind of information. I was originally planning to go to Puebla myself in March, but have now changed the plans so that we're going to Cuernavaca instead, so unfortunately I don't have any Puebla advice. In Oaxaca, I know there are a lot of inexpensive smaller hotels.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 08:18 PM

Casa Arnel in Oaxaca is great. Quiet neighborhood usually, wonderful rooftop patios, reasonably priced, safe, friendly, and meals if you desire.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. We have made our reservations: Hotel Colonial de Puebla in Puebla, Howard Johnson in Xalapa, Hotel Colonial de Veracruz in Veracruz, and the Hotel Las Golondrinas in Oaxaca.

Were hoping to find a smaller hotel in Xalapa, but after sending several e-mails to places that looked good on various websites and getting no response, went with what was available.
I'll report back after our trip.

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Judybr, we're now thinking we'll go to Puebla as well as Cuernavaca. Will you have a chance to post back here before then? I'd like to hear how you like Puebla. We're also thinking of the Hotel Colonial.

Thanks.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Susan, We'll be back on the 24th of Feb. and report then. Hope that's not too late for your trip. Adios
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Thanks. We're not going until early March, so will look forward to reading your post when you're back.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Susan, we just returned from our MX trip. We stayed in Puebla for 3 nights each at 2 different times, each time at the Hotel Colonial (in rooms 219 and 101). the hotel is very pleasant with a very popular restaurant. They have a roof top terraces with some lounges. There is a good view of the city, and on clear days you can see Popocatepetl.
Also on the roof is a laundry area with 2 washers and 2 dryers. There is just 1 elevator, and that is very old and requires an operator, so if stairs are a problem request a lower room. 101 was up a few stairs, 219 was on the 3rd floor. The hotel is located on a pedestrian-only street around the corner from the zocolo. We would stay there again. Have a great trip!
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Thanks Judy. Sounds terrific! We leave next Saturday and will spend our first 2 nights in Puebla - really looking forward to it. Any restaurant recommendations?
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Susan, Fonda de Santa Clara, Av.3 Poniente 307, is a good place for mole, about a block and 1/2 from the zocalo. We also liked Chesa Deglia, 2 Oriente 208 (across from the Holiday Inn)- delicious breakfast and good dinner. Had an upscale dinner at the restaurant in the Casa de la China Poblana Hotel (don't know if I have the exact name). It's just across Av. Juan de Palafox Y Mondoza from the pedestrian walkway where the Colonial is. The dinning room in the Colonial is good also. There are many restaurants surrounding the zocalo. It's difficult to get a bad meal!

The visitors bureau is very helpful. We took an interesting walking tour from there. Lots of museums and markets. We were there for 6 nights and kept busy.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:53 PM

The Colonial is a very nice hotel. However rooms vary a LOT so try to see the room before.
In Oaxaca I highly recommend the b&b las Buganvillas. A wonderful place to stay in.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:57 AM

Just got back and can't remember if Las Buganvillas is the B&B that also owns the restaurant La Olla. Whether it does or not, don't forget to try La Olla, especially for the tortilla soup and desserts. It specializes in safe salads also.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:55 PM

SusinToronto,

If I had to choose between Cuernavaca and Puebla, I would chose Puebla. Remember it is only minutes away from the very historic town of Cholula with its infinite number of churches and one of the largest pre-Columbian structures in Mesoamerica. Also not far from the ruin of Cacaxtla--discovered in 1975 with murals surprisingly in the Mayan style.
I never found Cuernavaca to be that intersting.