Search

Cancun airport

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cancun airport

Has anyone been through the Cancun airport recently? We've gone a number of times, usually off-season. However, our last trip was over spring break (late March '08) and the arrivals part of the airport was a zoo. People standing in LONG "lines." There were other lines open, but no guidance as to where to go or what to do. Maybe I just wasn't expecting it, but it kind of put me off. Wondering if that's the norm for all times or just holiday (would I be insane to go after Xmas?).

I miss the beach and want to go back!

Thanks
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:18 PM

Hi, Just got back from a trip there May 4-11, the place was deserted due to the swine flu scare. Last year it took us 1.5 hours to get through Immigration (4 windows out of 8 open), it all depends on how many planes land around the same time, last year 3 other planes had just recently landed and deplaned. Day of week does not seem to make a difference, as in 2008 we traveled on a Tuesday and this year a Monday.
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jamie. I really love the area, but the airport has become such a hassle, it makes me think twice about going back.
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:16 AM

I just got back also and it was very quiet. Things are beginning to pick up but Spring Break is one of the busiest times of the year in addition to Dec/Jan holidays. I was there over Spring Break also and, as Jamie said, it all depends on how many planes are landing at the same time.
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Maybe continuing to go during the off-season is best. We like early June. However, that won't be this year, and maybe not next. All that's left to me is holiday times - arg.

Thanks for the input. At least I'll know to plan on a wait when we DO get there again.
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:55 PM

I've found very little problem at immigration at the Cancun airport in recent years since they opened up the new terminal and rebuilt the old one. Still, you never know when several planes are going to land at one time. Selecting a flight that arrives early in the day helps a lot. Sitting close to the front of the plane so you can get off quickly can put you ahead of the other 150 or so on your plane.
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:11 PM

We are arriving on November 28th at 2;40 PM and have a flight on Maya air to Cozumel @ 5PM. That should be Ok shouldn't it?
Thanks in advance for your help-Chris
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:38 AM

How concerned should I be with this? My 23 year old daughter and I are traveling solo - husband staying home this trip. Schedule changes now have us landing in Cancun at 11:35 pm. We plan on pre-arranging a shuttle but am still nervous about the late hour.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:14 AM

BeniciaChris - you'll be fine. Plenty of time. You'll probably have to change terminals though. There is a shuttle back and forth.

Fletcher921 - I also fly in late at night at times. There's plenty of transportation around...either taxi or Grayline van. You could also pre-arrange a shuttle and they will be waiting for you.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:33 AM

My husband, 5 yr old son and I are flying in next Saturday June 13th and are staying at the Royal Sands. We have been told we can prearrange a shuttle for $19 round trip. Do you think that's a good price? I read somewhere that taxis couldn't take you from the airport, so this shuttle sounded like a good option, but I'd like to know how others experience has been.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 08:36 AM

You can take a taxi from the airport but will need to request one when you get into the terminal as they are not allowed to just wait at the airport. I've taken the shuttle to PDC which runs around 24USD and am thinking that is the one you've heard about...it's the Grayline. They do wait outside the terminal and you can arrange for it when you get there. If price is an issue you can also take the ADO bus into Cancun for much less and then take a taxi to the Royal Sands. Buses are very nice and a/c with storage underneath for bags.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 09:15 AM

I don't think I'd want to wait for a taxi to come and pick us up. I think I'll arrange to have a private shuttle waiting, either one through the Royals, or the Entertainment Plus one. Price isn't necessarily the biggest issue, I guess after a long morning of flying, convenience will be important too, especially for my son! Thanks!
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:11 PM
jw2

I'd guess the shuttle (if offered through the Royal Sands) is Thomas More Travel - they provide excellent service and it's much cleaper than taking a taxi. $19 is an excellent price. They are only a bit "slower," and only if there are people on your van who are going to other Royal resorts, but there is really never much of a delay. We use them whenever we aren't renting a car for the trip.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 05:23 AM

I always take the Thomas Moore shuttle to the Royal Sands when I travel to Cancun. However, last year I didn't book it because I just thought I would hop a cab. Bad move!! It cost me and my husband $50.00 to go to the Royal Sands. It seems they have no control over cabs at the airport and there is no set fee. I am leaving Sat. 6/13 and already have my shuttle booked with Thomas Moore for $10 each one-way. I won't make that mistake again.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 05:30 AM

Just flew in again yesterday afternoon. Airport was very quiet and right through immigration. Got the red light at customs though and had to wait a bit so they could search my luggage. No biggie. They had us fill out a short health form before immigration and then it was collected by a health worker but no temps taken this time.

Took the Grayline shuttle south to PDC. Cost $26/person. Too much luggage to take the bus this time.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 05:25 PM

We have had the misfortune of only having the horrible Zoo experience. I understand from others that there are times when it isn't a total SNAFU but I have not experienced it. The first time was about 3 or 4 years ago (old terminal). We got off the plane and waited in never-ending lines with extremely grouchy people for about 2 hours with NO AC until we finally got through immigration. Then, it was another hour to get our luggage and push through the mobs to customs. We were doing all of this with three toddlers and it was so awful and so stressful I am still fairly amazed that we are still married.

We thought it had to have been an anomaly, so we went to Cancun again this past January. This time it was another 2 hour wait in horrible lines to get through immigration. Thankfully, the AC was working this time. After getting through immigration, customs was a breeze. No one pushing and shoving and running over my strollers.

I don't know what it is that we consistently do wrong but we won't be going back to Cancun. It is simply too stressful to get through immigration and it really starts the trip on the wrong note. I am not a wussy traveler either. Been through immigration all over the world in many second and third world countries (Cambodia, Laos, Lesotho, India, etc.) Nothing has ever been as bad as Cancun. Nothing.

It is a real bummer too as it is one of the very few places we can fly to directly from here and we always need a break in the warm sun in order to survive Minnesota winters.

taitai
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 06:01 PM

That's really too bad. I have no idea why and haven't had that experience. Yesterday there was no one there again. January is very busy though. Last Jan I flew out of Cozumel instead.