Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Looking for an All-Inclusive Honeymoon Destination in Riviera Maya (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/looking-for-an-all-inclusive-honeymoon-destination-in-riviera-maya-171642/)

Rachel Mar 13th, 2002 01:29 PM

Looking for an All-Inclusive Honeymoon Destination in Riviera Maya

We will be taking our honeymoon in late September to early October and have been looking into all-inclusive resorts in the Riviera Maya area, as well as areas outside of Cancun (mainly Moon Palace). Since neither of us are familiar with the area or the resorts I was wondering if you could pass on some advice or recommendations for resorts. Thanks!

ChrissyB Mar 14th, 2002 04:15 AM

We are taking our honeymoon in less than a month. We are going to the Barcelo maya for 2 weeks, we had originally wanted to goto one of the Riu resorts. Check out www.mytravelboard2.com/playa it'll help you make a decision. Word of advice, stay away from the El Dorado...I've read lots of negative posts about it, a few good but alot more bad. I'll let you know when we get back on April 22. Just give me a quick email while I'm gone so I remember. 3 weeks and counting

Christie Mar 14th, 2002 09:01 AM

Be aware that you are travelin gin the peak of Hurricanse Season, so buy that travel insurance!<BR><BR>We stayed at one of the Riu resorts (Playacar), and we walked through the Riu Palace. It was very impressive, and I'd consider it ideal for a honeymoon destination!

KATOMAN Mar 14th, 2002 09:05 AM

I just got back from the Copacabana on the Riviera Maya. It was very nice. It is kind of secluded. The beach is beautiful and the accomodations first class. The food was excellent. I would request a room on the upper floors. It would be a perfect place for a honeymoon.

KATOMAN Mar 14th, 2002 09:13 AM

I just got back from the Copacabana on the Riviera Maya. It was very nice. It is kind of secluded. The beach is beautiful and the accomodations first class. The food was excellent. I would request a room on the upper floors. It would be a perfect place for a honeymoon.

Jason Mar 14th, 2002 11:08 AM

Been to Playa last two years - been to Riu Palace and Iberostar. Palace is far superior. It is very quiet and laid back resort, but if you want more fun, you are only a $5 and five minute taxi ride from the town that has plenty of bars, etc. <BR><BR>Royal Hideaway is supposed to be the premier spot on playacar --- but it also costs about twice as much as Riu Palace ---- Copa. resort is not in playacar and more isolated ---- think you will have a nice time at Riu Palace

xxx Mar 15th, 2002 03:50 AM

The El Dorado Resort and Spa is wonderful - the El Dorada Royale is the one you will see the complaints about. Have stayed at both the ED R&S and at the Barcelo Maya. There was certainly nothing wrong with the BM but we will return to the El Dorado R&S next time!!

hollie Mar 15th, 2002 08:40 AM

my husband and i stayed at the moon palace in september. for our honeymoon we went to sandals st lucia. i would have to say that moon is very nice almost as nice as sandals and obviously about half the cost. we were also considering taking a trip back to a palace resort but this time staying at Xpuha. it is their newest resort and is more of an ecological type vacation but is still all-inclusive. also if you stay at a palace resort for 5 days or more they throw in free side/day trips. you should also take time to visit xcaret. it is wonderful. i think you would be very happy at the moon palace. huge pools, decent food, nice rooms....etc.....

Aja1 May 11th, 2004 07:26 AM

We are planning a honeymoon in the Mayan Riviera in September too. Have you had these questions answered?

1. work with a travel agent or no
2. worry about rainy season?
3. get travel insurance?
4. wory about it not being crowded and things being closed?

I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Ben

Ally May 11th, 2004 10:17 AM

Price it out yourself, then see if an agent can beat the price.
Don't worry about the 'rainy' season, but
Yes, get travel insurance.
Don't worry about things being crowded or closed. In my opinion it's always crowded, but I've been in August, which is also hurricane season and didn't see anything closed.

rmorwig May 11th, 2004 02:48 PM

The Royal Hideaway and the Riu Palace are the nicest. I have stayed at the Riu Palace twice and loved it!

lomayalo May 11th, 2004 05:45 PM

Royal Hideway is my recommendation. Yes, it's pricey, but it's worth it. And, it's your honeymoon... go for it!
I've been there 3 times and loved every visit. The service is amazing. It's a wonderful place.