Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Looking for a very nice house rental in Oaxaca - One my 81 yr. old mom would enjoy while I'm learning Spanish.

Looking for a very nice house rental in Oaxaca - One my 81 yr. old mom would enjoy while I'm learning Spanish.

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to find a nice, conveniently located rental house (5 weeks). My husband and mother will also be with me, so lots of 'elbow room' is needed. I'll be taking a language class, so I'd either need to be within walking or busing distance of the shcools. Any recommendations?
Thank you
Caroline
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:32 AM

caroline. i am not the one who should be answering as i have never been. however, i would NOT be taking my 81 year old mother to oaxaca any time soon. please consult the US state dept web site for their copious warnings regarding travel to this city; where there has been civil/political unrest including shootings and kidnappings recently. others with more knowlodge about the area willl hopefully chime in here...
seriously consider another city to learn spanish in.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information. We wouldn't be going until February of 2008. A year away, I know but I thought it would be best to see what's out there now. I've read the situation in Oaxaca is already improving. The other option we're thinking of is the yucatan area. Somewhere with a nice beach, nice house with pool or on the beach. If it were just myself, I'd be staying at a homestay, but now that both my spouse AND mother want to go, then that changes things. I'd love to find a place that has a cook and housekeeper for those times when my husband and I would be exploring. Yet, we are on a somewhat limited budget. I may be hoping for too much.
I'll be taking a leave of absence off from teaching 2nd grade.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:03 AM

I would go for Oaxaca. I really think that the situation is improving there, and it's a wonderful city to visit. We were there twice - once about 15 years ago and again 2 years ago. We were in a hotel first time, then stayed in a B&B the second time. I honestly think that there's more for your husband and mother to do there than there would be in the Yucatan (mind you, Merida wouldn't be bad). Weather is great as well - it is much more temperate than the Yucatan.

In terms of where to stay, I don't have any specific recommendations. You could check out vacationrentals.com, perfectplaces.com, vrbo.com - but I haven't seen a lot for Oaxaca specifically.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:48 AM

An older friend that lives there says that things have returned to normal and he now feels safe to do all his normal activities. The only difference, he says, is that tourism has not picked back up yet. Also- State Department has downgraded travel warning and may do so further soon. I am not going down until June at which time I can report further.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:51 AM

oops, forgot to reply to the question. I would try working through the langauge school you pick. In addition to many homestays in the past Becari has helped me find apartments, etc. I know other schools there, e.g Instituto Cultural, do the same.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:34 AM

The State department lifted the warning for Oaxaca on Jan. 18th and advises tourists to be aware.