Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Looking for a beach vacation...need opinions. East vs West ? Other options? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/looking-for-a-beach-vacation-need-opinions-east-vs-west-other-options-795309/)

TiGuy Jul 13th, 2009 12:09 PM

Looking for a beach vacation...need opinions. East vs West ? Other options?

Hi,
looking to take the wife on a beach vacation the week of Sept 6th. Our last beach vacation was to Peter Island BVI's a few years ago. I have been to Cancun two or three times, and to Playa del Carmen 3 or 4 times, the last being about 4 or 5 years ago with my ex-wife. My current wife has never been.
All three times i went to Playa, we stayed at Porto Real.

I liked the Porto Real because of the proximity to town. Never did the AI thing, always ate at restaurants in town, which i like to do. I much preferred PdC to Cancun. I like a little bit of local flair which we got in PdC. I did start to notice the last time i was there, that the vendors and time share hawkers were becoming a little more aggressive and prevalent. I think one of the cruise lines had started letting people off there for excursions, which hadnt been the case prior to that.

All that being said, i think the Tulum area might fit the bill, but, i cant seem to find a hotel that will fit our needs that is also close to town. I dont want a gigantic AI anI would like something with AC. Wife likes a little bit of pampering as well, possibly some sort of spa services. I could stay in a palapa, but not the wife. Anyway, not sure if tulum will work or not. Id consider PDC again, but am afraid it might have gotten a little too commercial...i also dont want to stay at Porto Real again.

So, all that being said, ive also taken a look at Zihuatanejo and the Tides in particular. From what I can tell Zihuatanejo sounds like a town that fits the bill for me...sounds like some good local Mexican flavor. It would also be a new place for both of us that we havent been, which my wife likes. My concern is the beaches and also the travel for us, is a lot more difficult coming from the East Coast. Its much easier for us to fly into Cancun.

Ive also toyed with the Greek Islands, but not sure i want to tackle a Trans-Atlantic trip and also the dollar is so weak right now...

Sorry for the long post, but id love some new feedback or other suggestions.

Otis_B_Driftwood Jul 13th, 2009 12:25 PM

Have you looked at Cabo? There's some great deals right now. But, in September you always run the risk of getting hammered by a hurricane. Mexico is not that busy then for a reason.

Early September is a great time to enjoy the beaches of the Continental US.

TiGuy Jul 13th, 2009 12:38 PM

i understand the hurricane risk, but im not as concerned with the west coast and hurricanes. Also, we grew up going to Florida and Alabama Beaches, also at risk of hurricanes in Sept. I also want something out of the country. I prefer the Mexican culture to Caribbean Islands for some reason..

I dont think Cabo is really the type place im looking for. From what ive heard there isnt much quaint about the place. That, and its even more difficult for us travel wise.

Stewbear Jul 13th, 2009 12:39 PM

Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa is my second home. The Tides is very nice & on the "Whiteness" Beach in the Area BUT not the soft powder on The Caribbean Coast. Zihua is truly a real Mexican fishing village, very laid back but with great cafés in all price ranges. You can eat a full dinner in Pozole Alley for believe it or not under $3 US. Or you can spend $100 US at high end places. On average cafe Good cafés will run $9 to $14 US for fresh seafood, fish,Pasta Ribs Etc.
Lots of nice outlying day trips such as Troncones, a lovely but very dangerous beach fit only for surfing & Barra de Potosi a dirt road fishing village with a 7 1/2 mile mostly empty beach. Petatlan with is Gold Market is but a 1/2 hour bus trip away & The Colonial Cities of Urupan, Morelia & Marvelous Patzcuaro are but 4 hours via bus. Their sites too numerous to list here.

qwovadis Jul 13th, 2009 12:44 PM

Posada Luna Del Sur

best hotel best beach at Tulum

also like www.hotellaspalaps.com PDC

both beaches light years better than Pacific side...

Have fun,

qwovadis Jul 13th, 2009 12:45 PM

www.hotellaspalapas.com sorry missed an a

TiGuy Jul 13th, 2009 01:19 PM

about Posada Luna Del Sur...Im assuming no pool. How far a walk is it to the beach? At the beach, are there any places to rent chairs/umbrella?

virginia Jul 13th, 2009 04:19 PM

hi ti, unless i'm mistaken, posada luna del sur is in tulum pueblo not at the beach and waaay to far to walk. maybe a 5+ mins drive.
i've always wanted to stay at http://www.mezzanine.com.mx/ it is directly on the north tulum beach, which is gorgeous, wide and ok for swimming. the restaurant is great. no spa but i bet there are ppl nearby or who will come to you.
hwy 307 was pretty much done when i was there 2 yrs ago so the drive up to pdc for shopping is as easy one. tulum ruins is in walking distance from mezzanine.
not knowing your budget the ultimate spa hotel in the area is http://www.maromahotel.com/web/ocan/maroma.jsp
nearby xel-ha eco marine park is a fun day or for more adventure you might take a guided kayak tour in sian ka'an.

JuliePA Jul 14th, 2009 01:46 AM

Ana y Jose's in Tulum is nice - I believe they have spa services too. You won't find a hotel (on the beach) in Tulum that is close to town. The beach is quite a distance (if you are on foot) from town.

Have you looked at Xpu Ha? The beach is gorgeous and it is a short cab ride to Playa - so you could head there a couple of nights. I have always wanted to stay at Al Cielo and there is also Xpu Ha Palace which is AI I believe.

TiGuy Jul 14th, 2009 05:35 AM

Al Cielo looks nice, but has no AC. I might try it in the spring, but not in early Sept.

Jenski Jul 14th, 2009 05:19 PM

My vote is for the Greek Island. Yes, the dollar is weak right now, but I just think it would be an amazing adventure. I have never been but it is definitely on my list, I have a few friends who say it's their favorite place on earth (and these are very well traveled people). I've never been to Mexico other than the Oaxaca region as I'm not much of a beach person, but I'd make an exception for Greece!

suze Jul 15th, 2009 06:45 AM

I think Zijuat sounds like a wonderful place to visit, but I don't think I'd head anywhere along that stretch of the west coast of Mexico in September. It's the rainy season. Not to mention hot and humid.

Where are you flying from? How about Hawaii? My thought is that for a virgin trip for a Mexican beach vacation, September may not make the best impression. Can't you go sometime Nov thru May or so?

TiGuy Jul 21st, 2009 11:56 AM

No, im taking off 1st week of Sept. Its a done deal now. We are going to Zihua. Of course, there is a greater chance of rain, but we will just have to deal with it.