Lodging dilemma in Costa Rica

Old May 6th, 2021, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging dilemma in Costa Rica

Sorry - forgot to put COSTA RICA in hte subject line!

We are a family of 4 - two adults and 2 teens - active 17 yo girls, We are hoping to go to CR end of June for 10-12 days. The idea is to spend 5 days by the beach area and then another 4 in La Fortuna area.

I REALLY NEED SOME CHIL no adrenaline time before we hit La Fortuna. So I am looking for a place on the beach, but also within a walking to town as well as with eacy access to water activities.

I've looked at some of the larger resorts and but they are so isolated I feel that the kids and we will fee a bit trapped (even though we'll have a car).

So would you go larger resort to chill and do water activities for kids (and be stuck with resort food) OR would you opt for something smaller on the beach with accss to town . BUT what and where?

Thank you
Ela

Last edited by enowa17; May 6th, 2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old May 6th, 2021, 05:16 PM
Forum Moderator

We added Costa Rica to your thread title
Old May 6th, 2021, 05:55 PM

Manuel Antonio area.
Old May 7th, 2021, 06:00 AM

We like Manuel Antonio too. Tulemar Bungalows is a beautiful property there where we've stayed. They have all different sizes and styles of units. They come with a kitchen so it's nice to keep drinks cold or keep food on hand. Also lots of good open air restaurants nearby. They have free use of boogie boards and kayaks on the property and lots of monkeys and sloths on site. Pretty views.
Old May 7th, 2021, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Is it walking distance from restaurants? I'm looking for a place where my girls could just explore the town and shops on their own if they're wanted walking from wherever we are staying.
Old May 7th, 2021, 10:43 AM

You probably need to act fact, first to find any room that sleeps 4 people comfortably (as opposed to crammed into two double beds) and which is walking distance to the National Park and the Beach. Many of the villa type units are farther out, and up in the hills, although there are restaurants strung out along the road into town.

If you use the map view on Expedia or one of those sites, enter your dates and use the map to find something a few miles to Playa Espadilla.

Maybe Hotel Costa Verde?

Last edited by mlgb; May 7th, 2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old May 7th, 2021, 10:43 AM

Yes there are several good open air restaurants nearby. You have to walk along a busy road though. I wouldn't spend time exploring the town; the real beauty is nature and beach.
Old May 19th, 2021, 04:26 AM

first you might do some research about the covid situation in CR which is so bad that hospitals have no room and restrictions are getting more severe. In terms of your girls wandering around town from Tulemar (or anywhere) that is really not what happens down there...no real central town other than by the National Park (closed on Tues now I think) so it is family time more or less. If you seek some info about the current situation in CR check out Trip Advisor etc.
Old May 19th, 2021, 07:18 AM

I remember the first trip we went on. I scheduled a day to explore the town of La Fortuna in the Arenal area, and we were done in about a half hour. Most towns are just a church, some small shops, a soccer field etc. The main town in the Manuel Antonio area is Quepos. It's where the locals live and more industrial.
Old May 19th, 2021, 11:15 AM

La Fortuna has the Baldi Hot Springs and better access to the waterfall hike, some restaurants but not much else AFAIK (it's been a while).

Quepos isn't a place to stay. Most Costa Rica "cities" are best left unexplored. That includes San Jose. What a waste of a day.
Old May 19th, 2021, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
La Fortuna has the Baldi Hot Springs and better access to the waterfall hike, some restaurants but not much else AFAIK (it's been a while).

Quepos isn't a place to stay. Most Costa Rica "cities" are best left unexplored. That includes San Jose. What a waste of a day.
Really enjoyed an evening at the Baldi Hot Springs a few years ago.

Agree about Costa Rican 'cities' - though we enjoyed San Jose for a couple of days - found it to be quite a charming small city with some lovely buildings and very good museums/galleries. Had read quite a bit about avoiding it before we visited - but almost always want to visit a country's capital (at least on a first visit ) - and glad we did. We were in Costa Rica for over a month though - would not recommend it to people with a short holiday in the country - there is so much else to see/experience.