Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Location of Hotels in Sao Paulo (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/location-of-hotels-in-sao-paulo-423353/)

kdm Apr 17th, 2004 02:34 PM

Location of Hotels in Sao Paulo

I really appreciate this help I am getting for planning this trip and I don't want to wear out my welcome, but I have to ask this question about hotel locations. Where would you recommend that my daughters and I stay that is safe, where we can walk to cafes, and sights (basically foot traffic), and since we will be staying in SP 2 different times maybe there are the "top 2" choices. Also, we travel light and will need easy transportation available for both airports. From my reading I heard the Metro is safe, so being next to good Metro stops might work as well. Thank you again in advance for any input. Maybe I can return the favor one day. I do fine it amazing that there are so many more postings under France than Brazil, but so many people "love Brazil". Denise

LarryRGV May 10th, 2004 10:58 AM

I may be a little to late for you in my reply, but I just got back last week from Sao Paulo and did thoroughly enjoy my short stay there. In case it is still relevant info to you, the best place to stay is in the newer section and I don't believe the metro services that area. We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel and there were several hotels in that area that were quite nice. The neighborhoods are quite walkable and safe, tho I would not walk too much at night. The shops are beautiful in that area and if the girls are into clothes or other material attractions they will enjoy that neighborhood. The old section, where the metro stops are, would concern me for even daytime walking. See my post for a great restaurant rec. The cab cost is reasonable, but because of traffic takes a long time to get anywhere.

kdm May 10th, 2004 11:39 AM

Thank you for your response. We are planning to go in June and I will definately read your report this evening when I get home from work. Since we have to fly in & out of Sao Paulo, that maybe b/4 we return home to stay one night in Sao Paulo. Inf fact I was thinking about staying at the airport hotel Caesar Park. Thank you again and any experiences that you want to share I want to hear. Denise

LarryRGV May 11th, 2004 12:20 PM

kdm, The Cesar Park is very close to the airport, but really is isolated. If you have any extra time at all go into the city to spend the night.

satrijoe May 17th, 2004 08:29 PM

KDM: I would not consider the Caesar Park Airport because it is far from everything. Remember, the Sao Paulo International Airport is actually located in Guarulhos (suburbs) and it is at least 45 min away from downtown.
If you stay in the Jardins area, which Larry refers to as the newer section, you will have access to lots of nice stores and restaurants. Depending on where you want to go, Metro might be a good option. Bear in mind that Metro has weak coverage in the city (there are only 3 routes). I would consider taking cabs. Probably your best bet would be to hire a cab from the hotel to take you places. Some of them can even speak English. Hope it helps.