Search

Little known Border crossing @ San Vito/Rio Sereno

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2012, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little known Border crossing @ San Vito/Rio Sereno

Hola!

We will be exploring southern CR for 2 weeks. There is a little known border crossing at Rio Sereno which is in the coffee growing region.
It is just south of San Vito Costa Rica. Does anyone have any info. on crossing into Panama at this crossing? We would leave our rental car in the San Vito area and then take local buses towards Volcan Panama & then Boquete Panama for a day or two of trekking.
I am also guessing that coming back into Costa Rica should be relatively problem free---as long as we have our e-tickets showing that we will be exiting CR 10 days later.
Gracias y Hasta!
Pete
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 08:42 AM

Do you know that local buses run along this route on either side of the border? I'd be surprised if they do, or, if they do, that they run with any frequency at all. If Boquete is your intended destination, the most straightforward way to get there from San Vito is to head back south to the Interamerican Highway, cross the border at Paso Canoas, head to David, and then head north to Boquete: Much, much, much better roads and (I'm sure) more frequent and reliable public transportation.
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 10:07 AM

No busses from Costa Rica cross into Panama from here. But the crossing is easy.
And I disagree that from San Vito to go back to Interamericana and cross at Paso Canoas. The Rio Sireno border is very close to San Vito. Plus, the landscape from Sireno to Volcan is simply beautiful.

One thing to be sure to have is a copy of your passport. Panama immigration inspectors will ask for a copy of it upon entering Panama, and again upon exiting. They do not ask for this at Paso Canoas, but they DO ASK for it in Sireno. You will also need to show evidence of your rental car (or a bus ticket out of Panama) for entrance to Panama. But other than those things, it's a pretty easy crossing.

Once through immigration walk down the main street to the bus station towards the end of town. From there you can catch a bus to David, which will stop in Volcan, Concepcion and then the main terminal in David. From David, you change to the Boquete bus (the big old american schoolbus).

Hope this helps,
Pura Vida, Ballardo
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys!

Juguarman, do you know if it is possible to actually travel from Volcan to Boquete directly---around the backside of Parque Nacional Volcan? Or must I go: Volcan/David/Boquete?
Happy New Year to you and your family!
Pete
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 04:34 AM

Sorry Pete, there is no direct bus from Volcan to Boquete. You must travel down to Concepcion then on the Interamericana to David, and change buses in David.

If you have a car, you can travel just south of Volcan to Cuesta del Piedra, and take the new road (very steep and curvy but pretty) over to Porterillos, and then head up to Boquete, skipping Concepcion and David.

Pura Vida, Ballardo
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Yes, that is what I thought.

We will have a rental car but only in Costa Rica; since I do not think that we can take a rental car across that border from CR and into Panama.

One day that may be possible; But not for now...
Gracias!
Pete
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 12:16 PM

Pete, I crossed the border in Rio Sereno in october, 3 month ago. From San Vito there ar buses to the border, nearly every hour, for only 1.- Dollar! But you can go by car, too. You can´t cross the border with it, but you can park it there, just in front of the Costa Rica Police and the Panama Police. It´s very safe and there is enough place!
The border is very quiet and the man, who is working there is very friendly. But, if you will enter into Panama you have to show them 500.- US-Dollar in cash and a airticket to your homecountry!
Otherwise you will not get a stamp in your passport!
From Rio Sereno you can go by bus about Volcan, to David and then to Bouquete!
Good luck!