Lima to MP in one weekend?

Jun 10th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Lima to MP in one weekend?

I am looking into taking a long weekend off this summer (probably July) and I recalled that MP is something I've always wanted to experience.

1. Considering I'd arrive in Lima sometime Friday, is it even feasible time-wise to make it to MP and back in time to fly home Sunday?

2. If it is possible (and I didn't even take altitude sickness into consideration) does anyone have a realiable tour guide/group they know of for the trek to MP?

3. I may be doing this solo (23 y.old female) so will I likely be safe with the standard solo travel precautions?

I think, in the back of my mind, I know this isn't going to work in a three day time frame...but I just need someone else to tell me, lol.
Jun 10th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Its potentially doable, but not sure I'd want to try. In order to do this you would have to arrive in Cusco on Friday. So your arrival in Lima would have to be before the last flight to Cusco. The train to MP leaves Cusco early in the am. You could take the train Saturday am from Cusco to MP, spend the day there and take the last train back that evening or possibly a train earlyish on Sunday (not sure what time the trains leave from MP to Cusco in the am of if they do.) Many people do fly from Cusco to Lima and then back home that same evening/night. I think you would be rushed and perhaps stressed worrying about making connections. Our flight from Cusco to Lima was delayed by hours due to fog in Lima. Other flights that day had been cancelled. If I were u I'd plan another destination.
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:31 PM

If you could squeeze it in (which would be very difficult), you'd only be able to do it by taking the train there and back, not trekking. And you'd miss out on so much outside of MP (Cusco, the Sacred Valley, the wonderful Peruvian food, buying alpaca wraps, etc.), it would be a real shame and waste of money.

It'd be like flying to Paris just to see Versailles and leaving immediately after - no Louvre, no Eiffel Tower, no french food, no wine. Que horrible!!!
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I figured it wasn't going to work out. You're right too, that the stress would likely take the enjoyment out of the trip.

Bummer...some other time then!

Thanks!
Jun 12th, 2008, 09:59 AM

If you really really want to see MP, then it should be do-able:

1) Fly into Lima. Either arrive at late p.m. on Friday or early a.m. on Sat.

2) Take the first flight from Lima to Cusco.

3) Taxi to Ollanta in the Sacred Valley

4) Board a train from Ollanta to Aguas Caliente. From Ollanta, there are many trains going to A.C.

5) Enter MP in the afternoon and stay until closing time.

6) Overnight in AC

7) Enter MP again on Sun morning to see sunrise. (You have to shell out another $45 USD for admission.)

8) Take early afternoon train back to Ollanta and taxi directly back to Cusco airport. Or check the schedule for a train back to Cusco. Taxi to airport.

9) Fly back to Lima

10) Fly back to US at 11 p.m. on Sun. Arrive in the U.S. morning.

A bit hectic but do-able.
Jun 12th, 2008, 10:52 AM

The logistics of Steps 7 though 9 would not work. Flights out of Cusco stop running mid-afternoon. You could take an early-morning train from AC to Ollantaytambo, taxi to Cusco and have time to make an afternoon flight to Lima. There are only afternoon trains to from AC to Cusco. They get in in the evening, a few hours after the last flights of the day have departed. That would be the only way. It's still a hectic trip to try and do in a weekend. I'd save it for when you have more time and can do it more leisurely.
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Not to mention, the only way she'd make it to work on time on Monday morning was if she lived in one of the 3-4 places to which there are direct flights from Lima. And she'd be exhausted.
Jun 12th, 2008, 02:09 PM
casey_reed84

Just call into work and say your flight back was delayed or cancelled. Take your time and just fly back Monday. How many oppurtunities will you have to go to MP?

Jun 12th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Haha...thanks for trying to make it work out for me, but I really will have to take more time for it so I can enjoy myself.

Also, my job is a graduate assistantship, so...they may decide not to pay my tuition if I don't show up to work on Monday. Not good ;^)