Lima in 3 days... what would you visit?

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lima in 3 days... what would you visit?

I'm going to Lima in July for a long weekend....

I would like you to recommend me a 3 or 4 star-hotel in Miraflores Quarter.

What would you say it's a "must see" in Lima.

Thnxs guys!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM

I'd stay at the JW Marriott or the Miraflores. They are around the corner from each other.

I'd go to Old Lima (the cathedral, the San Francisco Church, the catacombs, etc.) and the Museo Arqueologico Larco Herrera (a private museum in an 18th century mansion). I'd get a car and driver at a minimum, but you'll enjoy it even more with a tour guide. It's relatively inexpensive by US standards. Your hotel can arrange it for you.

Go to the Illaria in San Isidro to shop for silver jewelry. It's not technically open to the public, so tell them the store at the JW Marriott sent you. You can have a driver take you from your hotel, and call for another to pick you up when ready (any restaurant or store can do this for you, just take the car service's card with you...it costs the same as a cab). You can even have him wait while you are shopping. Then have lunch at La Trattoria de Mambrino (Italian, but one of my favorite) and then go to the arts & crafts markets nearby.

If you want to go to a traditional cebicheria, go to Francesco for lunch (only open for lunch). For traditional Peruvian food, go to Jose Antonio for dinner. I also like La Mar and Astrid y Gaston.

One one fo the days, I'd go see the Nasca lines. See this thread for more info:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=34969674
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:05 PM

Oops, bad typos in the last paragraph. Meant to say, "On one of the days..."
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Another nice hotel option in Miraflores more mid price range is Hotel Antigua Miraflores.
http://www.peru-hotels-inns.com/
Its in a residential neighborhood about a 10 minutes walk to Marriott. The hotel is a colonial house with lovely antiques and is very charming. There are rooms in the old section and many newer rooms around a courtyard. They have a small breakfast room and you order breakfast which is included in the room price off a menu. They will pick you up from the airport if you request it.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Jed

We took a day trip to the Nazca lines.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Go to the gold museum. I found it mediocre but above it is the armoury with weapons and actual costumes from many historical periods.

There is a history museum which is worth an hour or so. An art gallery also which was a bit hit and miss.

Taxis in Lima are usually ordinary cars with bits of cardboard in the window with "TAXI" written on them. I had no problems with them and they were fairly cheap.

Beware of theft in Lima and Peru. As well as in the LP guide book, I was even warned about it by locals.

http://www.wordtravels.com/Cities/Peru/Lima/Attractions

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Thnxs for all of your suggestions...

Hills: how can i get from Lima to Nazca? I visited Arequipa and Cusco before and I missed Nazca Lines, so I would be happy to go... but isn't it too far from Lima??
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:51 PM

You can take a flight from the Lima airport to Ica on Aero Condor and some others. It's not a long flight, just an hour, give or take 15 minutes. Once you pick a hotel, have the concierge schedule it for you.

Did you see the thread on Nasca and my post on Ica? Also, have the hotel pack you a lunch because the included lunch is awful and wear sunscreen and clothes you don't care about getting all sandy.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 07:03 AM

ttt