Lima, Cuzco, Macchu Picchu Just back any ?'s

Apr 15th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Lima, Cuzco, Macchu Picchu Just back any ?'s

Just back from beautiful Peru. 10 days on our own. Overnight on arrival to Lima, 4 nights in Cuzco, 2 Macchu Picchu (Aguas Calinats), back to Cuzo and back to Lima. Happy to answer any questions regarding Peruvian fliights, train and fares to Macchu
Picchu, hotels, and overall travel experience.
Apr 16th, 2003, 11:09 AM
KNJ

We leave in two weeks. I can hardly wait. Do yo have a suggestions for restaurants in Cuzco and Aguas Calientes? Where did you change money at? How were the airports? Any suggestions on what to (not to) bring? We will be doing a similar itinerary but, adding 3 days in a Tambopata area lodge.

Thanks, Kelly
Apr 16th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

In Cuzco we walked everynight to the Plaza de Almas, it's full of gringos but the food was always very good and cheap. They all have their hawkers out offering a free drink but all are about the same.
Dinner for two with drinks runs $15-$25.00. The Adean Grill had a fireplace and balconys and Inka Grill always has live music. For a little upscale try Resturant Paititi on the side of the Cathredal. The side street Lorato has alot of local little places offering meals for about $2-4.In Aguas Calinte our favorite was Toto's House right on the Urabamba River.

We used the ATM's with no problem and for small change the hotels.
Lima's airport is hetic at best. There are dozens of taxi and tour operators hawking, throngs of relatives waiting and slow retrival of luggage. We had our hotel pick us up.
In Cuzco a local music group played and an easy out of the airport. In Cuzco it is the travel agencies that hawk you in the luggage area.
Hiking boots or good broken in shoes are a must since Cuzco has alot of stone and steps and much of Aguas Calente is gravel and dirt. We were there at the end of rainy season so a daily downpour every afternoon, not good for sneakers, and a waterprof ponco was a must. Sunscreen, because of the higher altitude. Have $30-50 in singles because the ATM's dispense large demonations. A dollar goes a long way for tips and for small purchaseson the street. Waiting for change can be a problem. Bring your guidebooks from home. The Machhu Picchu book, which is mostly older photos goes for $15-25.
Have a great trip, the scenery is truly breathtaking and people friendly and helfull.
Apr 17th, 2003, 05:52 AM
KNJ

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that finding ATM's wasn't a problem. I've checked out a Macchu Picchu guidebook from the library and I plan a bringing it.

Kelly
Apr 17th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Hi there!!!!Welcome home!!!!
Lots of questions - but I will start with just a couple. Your tips to the other traveller (kelly) have been so helpful.
I leave for Peru on Monday morning!!!
Arrive in Lima and then 8 days in Cuzco including a four day hike to Macchu Picchu. First of all - should I pack more warm clothes (long sleeve) or cool clothes? Was it freezing at night on the trail (did you hike it?) or even in Cuzco?
Did you use USD $ or the sol?
Apr 19th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

lilli
No, we did not do the trail, however we were at Macchu Picchu one morning at 7:30am and started seeing the hikers coming in.
Well, I'll give anyone bragging rights that does the trail!
The trick to the clothing is the layering. In the early AM and late PM light waterproof jacket and longsleeves or maybe fleecetop, teeshirt for most of the day but between 11 am and 3 pm very hot, tank top. Kept all in my backpack.
Oh, I wish I was leaving Monday!
Have a wonderful time.
Apr 21st, 2003, 12:21 AM

Read your replies with great interest. Wife and I are planning on Cuzco sometime in November. I am somewhat of a ruins freak and intend on staying at Aguas Calientes for a minimum of 5 days. I hope I don't get stir crazy. Any good recommendations for a budget hotel there? Did you get to try the Indio Feliz Restaurant? I know it varies with the season but were the crowds of tourists pretty heavy? When's the best times to avoid them at the top? Thanks in advance.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

garuda,
5 days in Aquas Calintes may be a bit much, you can see the whole city in 15 minutes. Being a ruin's freak i'm sure you've considered spending time in the Sacred Valley, The fortress in Olly and the ruins outside of Cuzco , "Sexy Women" and the 2 smaller ruins.
Yes, we did eat at the "Happy Indian", wonderful vegetable soup and trout, cozy it's at the very top of the new main street. We stayed at the Pueblo, stopped in Gringo Bill's, didn't see the rooms but fun bar and great staff, next time I'd stay there. On the Main new drag,up the long hill, (forgot the name, check Fodors map) maybe a dozen of hostels with equally reasonable resturants which all seemed from the outside clean and friendly.
The last bus up to MP is at 1:00, by then the daytripers are gone and MP yours, return by 6:00pm. Likewise as early as 6:am 1st bus up, you have until
10:30 when the busloads arrive. Unless your doing the trail you'll take the train up, 90% of the train is on the day tour, just settle in at your hotel, wait for them to leave and enjoy!
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:05 PM

Muchas gracias! for the info, Trice. Maybe I'll cut my stay in Aguas Calientes to 3 days. I just wanted to be sure that I get some sun time up in the ruins, and 5 days would have improved the odds. I've jotted down your helpful info in my little notebook. Thanks, again!
Apr 28th, 2003, 01:02 PM

Hola--Thanks for the info. Did you feel safe given the war and anti american feelings out there? How about crime/pick pockets? Any safety tips? We leave in 5 weeks on a similar itinerary with 2 little ones left behind. Thanks again!
Apr 28th, 2003, 05:08 PM

Hi,
I'm also interested about what you have to say about crime/safety issues. Did you bring a nice camera? I just read the State Dept. advisory for Peru and there's a lot of info there on muggings in Cusco and Lima. I'll be traveling alone in Peru this June and I'm thinking it might be safer to just bring a disposable camera and nothing of value.

PW
Apr 28th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

The only time the subject of war came up was with the hotel's taxi driver, in Lima, who we always used during our stay. He got into a conversation about how Peru suffered terrisom for years and was happy his country solved the problem, and negitave comments about the Bush administion. Perhaps he was getting familar with us, we just changed the subject.
Felt safe in Miraflores, near the Parque Central area and Malceon. The side streets are filled with residential homes and lots of local restruants. Did't go in downtown Lima at night. In Cuzco and especially MP felt very safe, the only problem being the hawkers.
All Peruvians were helpful and friendly.
Any non-US we met were in Peru for a great travel experience, as we were, and politics just never came up in conversation.
As in any foreign destination, we were aware of our surrondings and kept our money out of sight. Stayed on the tourist route at night, wandered into the local market area's by day. Did not see or hear of any street crime.
Have a wonderful trip!
Apr 28th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

pickwickclub,
I too read the advisories and before I went was a little worried. In Lima, used hotel or resturant taxi and went to central Lima on a 5 hour tour by hotel taxi by day. In Cuzco if you stay within a few blocks of Plaza de Almas, which is where all the sights are, day or night there are always tourists.
A Timex watch, Kodak point and shoot and a wedding band worked for me. Don't worry, just use common sense. Enjoy!
Apr 28th, 2003, 06:21 PM

hello,
Can I do Cuzco and Macchu p in two days along with Lima?
I will be skiing in Argentina and Chile for most of my four weeks.
Thanks
Apr 28th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Not in 2 days. 3 Day Minimum

Day 1
Flights from Lima to Cuzco leave 6-10AM.
Day 2 Train to MP from Cuzco 6:30am
Returns same day 3:30 pm arrive Cuzco 7:30pm, last flight to Lima is 11:30am.
Day 3 Depart Cuzco
May 4th, 2003, 03:03 PM

Trice,
Thanks for your advice!
PW
May 22nd, 2003, 07:35 PM

Hi trice
Iam planning a trip to Lima and then to Cusco and then to Quito and onward to the Galapagos.
These are some of the hotels we overnight in:
1.Lima..Hotel Embajadores
2.Cusco, ..Hotel Don Carlos
3.Quito,..Hacienda Guachala
4.Quito, Hotel Rio Amazonas.

Have you stayed at any of these places.?
Are they clean and quiet and safe.

Thank you for any info you can give
Percy
May 23rd, 2003, 12:56 PM

We also just returned from 10 days in Peru. I still didn't feel safe walking around Miraflores. Why do you think that all the homes have brick walls with locked gates around them there, they must have been concerned about something. Just take a cab from your hotel that they call from a reputable company. Our hotel for the last night there called "Hotel Antigua" hailed a cab off the street to take us to dinner, and when the restaurant was closed he couldn't remember where he had picked us up from and didn't know Miraflores at all, we ended up stopping to ask random people on the street how to get back to our hotel. The other hotel we stayed at earlier in our trip in Miraflores called Hotel Santa Cruz was very helpful and our transportation even spoke a touch of english or at least tried to speak spanish more slowly so I could understand something. We ended up staying there because we booked through a tour group for the whole trip except the last day, which I felt safe enough to book with Hotel Antigua since it was recommended on this forum. Don't get me wrong the accomodations were nice, but the receptionist was terrible she even forgot to send someone to the airport to pick us up as we had previoulsy requested through their internet offer. Maybe she's just overworked.

All in all Cuzco and Machu Picchu were very safe and there were more english speakers as well. If you bring an expensive camera just keep it strapped around you and carry it in front of you because it's easy to get a bit paranoid when you have so many vendors approaching you wherever you go.
Have fun.