Search

Let's ride!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's ride!

Hi! have been reading these posts for about a month now and have garnered some useful info re trips to CR. I can hardly wait to start my adventure at the end of May.Just 5 weeks!
We have rented a 4x4 and have hotel reservations in La Fortuna, Jaco', and San Jose. We feel that the drive is part of the adventure and are well aware of the road conditions, three of us are "farmgirls" from rural Virginia; however, we need a little advice.
The hotel in La Fortuna has explicit directions from San Jose via Naranjo, Zarcero, Cuidad Quesada. We will be leaving San Jose at 2:00p.m. on a Saturday. I read that the road via San Ramon, La Tigra, to La Fortuna is less traveled by trucks and may be a better choice. Opinions, please.

We're leaving La Fortuna around lunchtime on Tuesday and are considering traveling around Lake Arenal to Tilaran and then Canas and down toward Esparza (?). Is this doable?Should we take a westerly route along the coast to Jaco' or head a little inland to San Mateo, Orotina, and then west and south to Jaco'?

Can we do a day trip to Manuel Antonio from Jaco'? If not, can anyone recommend a less touristy beach (we're going to Jaco' for the nightlife). Our hotel in Jaco' has an arrangement with Punta Leona (a half hour away) to use their beach and facilities, any opinions?
Thanks for all your helpful advice so far re bugspray, shoes, restaurants, driving, money exchange. Gonna ride!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 06:14 PM

I agree San Ramon / La Tigre to La Fortuna is a more scenic and less truck traveled route.

Yes you can travel via Tilaran/Canas/Esparza.

Not sur about the advantage of the coast route or the Orotina route. The coast does have some port/refinery activity in places in that area. Not too scenic.

If you are birders there is a central park in Orotina where owls roost. the locals will be able to help you spot them if you stop.

A day trip to MA is doable from Jaco. Playa Hermosa and other beaches south of Jaco, Playa Esterillos, are less touristy.

Have a wondeful journey!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 07:04 PM

Agree that you should drive to La Fortuna through San Ramon. Zarcero is a great little town to visit, but you are starting out late in the day, need to arrive before dark, and should take the most direct route. I am a little surprised that you were given the other set of directions!

I vote for the Orotina route from Esparza. I think that is the only way we have ever gone. The road doesn't go all the way into Orotina--just toward it before heading south. Earthtraveler's suggestion to visit the central park there, though, sure appeals to me! Didn't know about the owls!

Looking at the map, I think it makes more sense NOT to go to Esparza, but to Barranca (just outside Puntarenas), then take highway 23 which takes you east toward Orotina before meeting up with highway 34 which will take you on down to Jaco. Do you have a map? If not, you need one, and I'd suggest the Berndston & Berndston laminated map. Excellent resource. Good luck, girls! Have a great time!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:35 AM

What hotel are you staying at in Jaco? I can't understand the need or desire to go to Punta Leona for beach? Assuming you are referring to Hotel Punta Leona, PL is a huge spread out compound type development with a small beach and Lots of families. We pulled in here for a night some years back, I didn't like it from the minute we pulled in the gates. I would go with Earthtravelers recs on beaches.

And if I were taking a day trip to MA, I would opt to stay at least a night or two. Lots to do here and if you are looking for a lesser expensive lodging that is nice with good recs. You might want to check out Mono Azul http://hotelmonoazul.com/
and someone help me what is that one down on the beach?

Have fun!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 03:16 PM

You might check out: [email protected] They will email pics and rates. They are right on the beach. They are inexpensive but great.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks folks, your responses were very helpful.

Yes, I will get the Berndtson & Berndtson map before we leave the States, in time to study it a bit too.

I think the Tree Houses Hotel is easterly of La Fortuna so that's why the driving directions send us north from the airport via Zarcero. I will contact them to get directions from La Fortuna because I'd rather get to La Fortuna as safely and as early as I can.

Canciones del Mar is right on the beach at Jaco' but next to an estuary which they call a "small lagoon with diverse wildlife" (nutria and iguanas I assume). I've read that the ocean near estuaries usually has strong riptides (as well as being a bit, shall we say trash laden?). I don't mind being adventurous but I do like to be sorta safe. I don't need to go to Hotel Punta Leona, it sounded too resort-y to me too, but I guess I'm kinda looking for one of those paradise type beaches that I don't think are available in Jaco'. We're going to Jaco' because my daughter and her friend want to try surfing and have some nightlife (they're both 28).

Going to check out your hotel suggestions but doubt that we'll have time and inclination to stay over in MA. We didn't schedule MA because the kids wanted Jaco', maybe next time.

Everyone on here is so enthusiastic about CR and helpful that I feel I'm going to be well-prepared. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks.