Reload this Page >

Leito buses from Rio to Salvador

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 04:22 AM
Kate

I'm heading to Salvador from Rio by myself (on the way to meeting up with people). My flight into Rio doesn't get in until late in the evening and I can't get onto a Salvador flight in the morning. Thus, I've started looking into taking a leito bus instead, although I've found it difficult to find information on prices or schedules on the internet. What I want to know is, would I be safe getting to the bus stop in Rio (wherever it is?) after dark, and then travelling on the bus myself? I'm female and 21 although I do look younger than that. <BR>If anyone could provide me with info on the leito buses I'd really appreciate it. My worst case scenario is staying in the airport overnight: does Rio airport close at night?<BR>Thanks

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Kate

Oh, yeah- I forgot to add that I don't speak Portuguese (or Spanish)<BR><BR> just to make it that much more difficult

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Bill

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but I hope you're not seriously considering taking a bus from Rio to Salvador just so you don't have to overnight it in Rio. (&quot;I can't get onto a Salvador flight in the morning. Thus, I've started looking into taking a leito bus instead.&quot I think Rio to Salvador by bus is over 24 hours. Why not just get a hotel for the night in Rio and then take the plane the next morning.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Kate

I've considered it and it is an option, but I'm a student on a tight budget: a hotel over night and taxi transfers, as well as the cost of the plane flight (which my travel agent informed me has just doubled in the last few days) have begun to make the trip financially unrealistic. <BR><BR>I'm not meeting up with the others for two days, so I have the time to take a 24 hour bus trip. I started looking into the leito bus not so much to avoid a night in Rio, but rather to avoid the costs associated with it!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Will

I do not think the bus will take 24 hours, more like 15-20.<BR><BR>The bus station is in a rough part of town - I have not been there at night but if you were my daughter I would recommend that you stay in Rio and rest the night you arrive. Then you can catch a bus the following morning or afternoon.<BR><BR>FYI - in my experience it will be cheaper to buy a plane ticket in Brazil rather than through a travel agent in your home country. You should be able to get a return flight for $150, possibly less, in Rio but you will ideally need at least a day to sort it out. In much of south America you can just buy plane tickets cheaply at the airport from the airlines but I have never done this in Brazil so can't really recommend it.<BR><BR>There is not much in Rio airport. If you look in an LP or something you should be able to find some cheap reputable place to stay in Rio. If you are going to take a bus you will need to head into town a bit anyway.<BR><BR>