Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Leaving this week - 2 nights in Tortuguero - should we pack long pants because of bugs?

Leaving this week - 2 nights in Tortuguero - should we pack long pants because of bugs?

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave this week. Just wondering if I should bring a long pair of pants to wear while we're in Tortuguero. I know my mom is. My main concern are the bugs. Also, I read somewhere that the lodges want you to wear long black pants and black top for viewing the turtles at night. That just sounds wierd to me, but is there something to that?
Thanks
Carrie
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 01:25 PM

Yes, it's always a good idea to bring long pants and long sleeves -- lightweight fabric of course -- to Costa Rica for bug protection (and sun too). It's true that they don't want anyone wearing white or bright clothes on the beach at night to see the turtles. If they know people are out there, they will turn around and go back into the water and won't lay their eggs. So everyone has to be very quiet and still. Once they start laying, they won't stop, so it's ok to get a little closer at that point.

Have fun,
Sandy
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 01:44 PM

Carrie,

We were in Torteguero in June and long pants are a must if you hike in the rainforest as we did while staying in Mawamba Lodge. The mosquitos were fierce and unrelenting. We even wore mosquito helmets!!! Make sure you have long sleeve shirt and long pants for hikes as well as mosquito repellent. On the canals bugs are not a problem. Dark clothing is necessary to view the turtles for the reasons that sandy said. I brought black, but others wore green and browns. Oh yes, make sure you put insect repellent on before going to the beach to view the turtles. The green turtles nest near vegetation where there were biting insects either no see ums or mosquitos.
Hope this helps. We had a wonderful time at Torteguero and I wish you the same.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Great information. Thank you.
So, would we be able (allowed) to go on an evening turtle tour if the pants aren't black? My mom is bringing some kahki-colored pants.
Thanks
Carrie
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 04:03 AM

Dark pants and shirts are the colors to wear when turtle viewing. They also recommend lights with the red bulb in some places. Don't know about Tortuguero. They have small ones you can get in Wal Mart, drug stores etc.

Turtles are very sensitive to light and it confuses them if you have light clothes on and there is a moon that reflects off of the clothes. It can also reflect off of white legs. They could become confused enough to turn around and head back out to sea before laying their eggs. They are actually following the moon and even street lights or house lights can draw them in the wrong direction.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:09 PM

I am also going to Tortuguero in August. I am having trouble finding long sleeve black shirts for my husband for the night turtle tour. Is the only reason to wear the long sleeves cause of the mosquitos? Does Mawamba lodge let you wear black short sleeve shirts? My son has a black long sleeve underarmour shirt but it has a small white emblem on it. Is that okay? My daughter has gray long sweatpants, is that okay for the turtle night tour?
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:29 PM

It doesn't have to be black -- you just don't want to wear something that is going to reflect light. If you have really pale skin, you'll reflect light, so sleeves are better. When we were in Tortuguero we weren't allowed to have our own flashlights on the beach, so there was no need to buy red lights. Only the guide could use his light.

Sandy