leave nice jewelry behind when going to Cabo?

Jul 13th, 2001, 08:36 PM
C. Ross

leave nice jewelry behind when going to Cabo?

Advice Please! Going to Cabo next week, have read and been told that I shouldn't wear my good jewelry in Cabo -- too dangerous. However, when I was in mall jewelry shop today, I was told this isn't true, woman said they go fairly regularly and have never had a problem. She has even gone on business trip w/other employees, all wearing very nice (big!) rings, etc. My wedding ring is custom made, very noticeable, appraised at over $4200.00, but this woman's rings were probably worth as much or more. I would hate to lose it, not to mention the anxiety associated with being robbed (!), but have always worn it, and would like to know how risky it really is. I would appreciate as many opinions/experiences as possible. Thank you!
C

Jul 13th, 2001, 09:12 PM
traveller

I personally don't like Cabo all that much but never felt threatened. I don't think it is all that dangerous (not like Caracus for example). I wore my jewellry there with no problem but was always with another person and took the usual precausions and did not walk alone through back streets etc. I doubt you will have a problem. Just use common sense and you should be ok. Have fun.

Jul 14th, 2001, 06:53 AM
Dave

I am always dumbfounded when I see people wearing good jewelry on vacation. What for? Why? Who are you trying to impress? Why should you worry about it getting lost or stolen if there is no reason to bring it?

I think it borders on idiocy to bring good jewelry on vacation.

Jul 15th, 2001, 05:24 PM
traveller

Many people don't like to take off their engagement and wedding rings, Dave. My wedding ring is just a plain gold band and frankly, if someone wanted it, they could have it. I don't wear any other jewellry. But I don't think that Cabo is all that dangerous. You see women and men wearing HUGE diamonds and gobs of jewellry everywhere there. As I said, use some common sense. Even turn your engagement ring around to your palm when walking as I have seen many people do. Or, as Dave suggests, if it worries you too much, don't take it.

Jul 16th, 2001, 02:13 PM
Teresa

Leave the ring at home in the safety deposit box and anything else of valve!!! We had money stolen from us at a villa called Las Hamacas in south Akumal with security guards and a security gate!!! We even think it was someone with a key to the place! The owners were rude to us and could have cared less! Use safes and take travelers checks. Oh, and don't rent a car, the police have a SCAM down there when you park your car ANYWHERE they take your license plates which later they will say you did something illegal, like parking illegally and you get a surprise on your credit card!!! It's a terrible Scam they pull on tourists...GO TO THE CARIBBEAN, it's nicer and safer!!!
Teresa